Lando

(How) Do you use this Tool?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. (How) Do you use this Tool?

• Yes, I use it frequently
    • Well, i used it do crete that one (or two) Part i realy needed
    • I use / used this to generate cfg files / Models for my own MODs
    • No, never used it / Just tested it and didn't like it

if i try to enter a "." or "," on my PC it is just not possible, no Crash...

so please step by step, what keys did you press fokusing what Box?

I can't reproduce your Crash atm.

1m = 100cm !

I did this, becouse in Germany and some other countrys 1,500 = 1 + 1/2 what would be 1.500 for you. and we use a "." where you use the ","

But as I said, I am realy busy

My apologies for not being more clear and my apologies for giving the impression of demanding an immidiate solution.

I meant it as "I highly reccommend you to revise the errorhandling whenever you have the time and you feel like it". I have a very high opinion of your application and it is a pity the errorhandler acts up. It acts up whenever funny values are entered. It didn't happen with the above specified numbers (so much). The minimum diameter is set to 10 cm by the program whenever the entered value is below 10. No problem there. Then i tried setting the fuel amount to 22050. The default value apparently wasn't cleared and the value became larger than the program apparently could handle. THAT caused the crash. As far as i can determine the program first calculates the amount of oxidizer and then calculates the length of the part. The calculated length exceeds the maximum assignable value of parameter "Value" (it is probably declared as a double integer). My suggestion to you: Display an error message and reset all the values to the default values whenever such a overflow occurs.

The most important crash message was:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: The value of 6812935 isn't valid for Value. Value should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.

Parameternaam: Value

bij System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)

bij KSP_PartGen.Form1.recalc()

bij KSP_PartGen.Form1.timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Is it ok to use parts from this in other mods?

you can use them as long as you ceep

manufacturer = Part Generator

author = Lando

in the cfg

OR

write you used this tool in your release Thread/spaceport page

It's not like I would sue you.

But It would be very nice, since it would make this tool more popular (And I would put more work in it)

And can we get truncated cones in the next release?

???

do you mean adapter like?

I agree, they are very useful for custom spacecraft.

I'm assuming we would have the ability to set the top and bottom diameters as well as the height?

ok ok I know you realy want them...

but making different diameters for top and bottem is hard to realise the way this program currently works...

I don't say its Impossible, but I don't have the time right now.

I can offer you to add an adapter with 100% of the diameter at the bottom and 50% at the top (or other "hardcoded" relations)

Oh I see, so can you do it with a fixed 1.25m bottom part with an adjustable top diameter and possibly adjustable height?

Then you would have three part categories 1.25m adapters, 2.5m adapters and 3.75m adapters.

Lando, I have a question concerning copyright and legal stuff. I have no idea what the rules are exactly, but I think ethicals in this are important. For example: are you okay with partgen generated parts shown to the public on youtube, partgen generated parts downloadable on e.g. spaceport, as seperate parts or as mods? Or do you want people to give you credit as the creator? Are you ok with people editing the partgen created parts?

I think it would be a good thing that everytime people show something you created, it would be polite to add to the description "Lando - PartGen" or something like that; it's the least one can do.

So, what's your opinion on this? After all, I think I speak for all of us when I say you've done a great job, and we would like to give you credit for it, if you should want it.

I have a couple feature requests.

First, do any range checking and adjustments on loss of focus rather than on update. If I know what number I want, I CAN'T JUST KEY IT IN because it will change it after the first digit. Add the rest at the cursor position and it tends to hit maximum too, just to salt the wound.

Second, 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m buttons to quickly set the part to the most common sizes would be appreciated - especially when I - or a new user who hasn't done this yet - don't even remember that they aren't 1m, 2m, 3m though we usually describe them as such.

I was thinking last night, have you looked at doing this with engines as well?

You'd need 2 engine models, a atmosphere version with a short bell and a vacuum version with a long engine bell.

Then you'd set the diameter of the engine (the height would automatically set based on a ratio) with the engine power being limited by the size and the ISP being limited by the power and the type, with vacuum engines having a higher vacuum ISP but lower power for a set size. Fuel and Oxidizer use are a factor of power and ISP.

You could take a step further and generate engine clusters, single, twin, row of three, square of four and cross of five. The clusters would use the same stats as above and scale the engine model down and fit it to a mount plate to give the different clusters. So I guess you would gave 10 set engine models (clusters 1 to five, for both Atmos and Vacuum) with the size scaled depending on the diameter of the engine set in the generator.

With both engines and fuel tanks we'd be able to custom design the most efficient booster for any payload!

Lando, I have a question concerning copyright and legal stuff. I have no idea what the rules are exactly, but I think ethicals in this are important. For example: are you okay with partgen generated parts shown to the public on youtube, partgen generated parts downloadable on e.g. spaceport, as seperate parts or as mods? Or do you want people to give you credit as the creator? Are you ok with people editing the partgen created parts?

I think it would be a good thing that everytime people show something you created, it would be polite to add to the description "Lando - PartGen" or something like that; it's the least one can do.

So, what's your opinion on this? After all, I think I speak for all of us when I say you've done a great job, and we would like to give you credit for it, if you should want it.

I will Release a new Version tomorrow.

I will include Copyright informations in that release...

Lando, great tool, I'm an experienced modeler and I've decided to have a go at making a mod for KSP, and one drawback about jumping into a new game is scale or lack of...

Suggestions/addons

what we need, if possible is default measurements to get a sense of scale

an option to see what model we have chosen

an option to import and scale our own model (so we can match width's)

I'm really keen on doing my mod and its not possible without your toolset, but what the user needs is clarification on scale and options for our own mesh's

Edit: also, an option to auto install parts on complete and showing their directory would be really nice, specially for Steam user's like myself

Stock Parts have 125cm , 250cm or 60? cm (the small parts vary in size)

The parts folder for Steam users is...

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Parts

once you selected this, The Program will remember the path, so you can just click ok at the "select Parts folder" dialog

a 3d pereview would be realy cool, but I don't know how to do this yet.

It is possible, but I can only use "free to use" librarys for this program....

If you know a good one, let me know.

Edited by Lando

you don't need a 3D preview.

For your stock parts a jpg image would suffice

and for a custom 3D object, have a cube with Custom written inside it

the default values should be options you can preset to, like a quick fix if need be

Also, i noticed a glitch/bug for Hexagon cones

I set its width to 60 and height to 750 to get a tall thin spike but it was only half the height and its top anchor floated at the correct height, it also had issues mounting onto my shuttle but that maybe a game issue not cfg for that prop

as for the steam directory, I was just saying it would be good to have an automatically find them if the option was available

its all about refining a good program into something better

I will Release a new Version tomorrow.

I will include Copyright informations in that release...

Tnx, mate. That will teach those "Yo people look at the part I made all by myself and it was very complicated stuff doing it all by myself" sort of kids! :)

Tnx, mate. That will teach those "Yo people look at the part I made all by myself and it was very complicated stuff doing it all by myself" sort of kids! :)

It's not like I want to make myself a name (ok, maybe a litle XD )

It's more about spreading this tool, so more people can profit from my work and make custom creations... and share them with us...

Oh, by the way...

You are welcome to post some of your creations here, so I can see what you came up with...

I attempted to run on Mac OS X 10.8.3 with Mono Runtime 3.0.10 and got the following error:

Unhandled Exception:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: No valid icon entry were found.
at System.Drawing.Icon.InitFromStreamWithSize (System.IO.Stream stream, Int32 width, Int32 height) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Drawing.Icon..ctor (System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoCMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoCMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.DoInvoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectRecord.LoadData (System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager manager, ISurrogateSelector selector, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadNextObject (System.IO.BinaryReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectGraph (BinaryElement elem, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean readHeaders, System.Object& result, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Header[]& headers) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ReadNonPredefinedValue (System.Type exp_type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ReadValueVer2 (Int32 type_index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadResourceValues (ResourceCacheItem[] store) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader+ResourceEnumerator.FillCache () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader+ResourceEnumerator..ctor (System.Resources.ResourceReader readerToEnumerate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.GetEnumerator () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceSet.ReadResources () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceSet.GetObjectInternal (System.String name, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceSet.GetObject (System.String name, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.RuntimeResourceSet.GetObject (System.String name, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject (System.String name, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSP_PartGen.Form1.InitializeComponent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSP_PartGen.Form1..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) KSP_PartGen.Form1:.ctor ()
at KSP_PartGen.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: No valid icon entry were found.
at System.Drawing.Icon.InitFromStreamWithSize (System.IO.Stream stream, Int32 width, Int32 height) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Drawing.Icon..ctor (System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoCMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoCMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.DoInvoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectRecord.LoadData (System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager manager, ISurrogateSelector selector, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadNextObject (System.IO.BinaryReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectGraph (BinaryElement elem, System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean readHeaders, System.Object& result, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Header[]& headers) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ReadNonPredefinedValue (System.Type exp_type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ReadValueVer2 (Int32 type_index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadResourceValues (ResourceCacheItem[] store) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader+ResourceEnumerator.FillCache () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader+ResourceEnumerator..ctor (System.Resources.ResourceReader readerToEnumerate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceReader.GetEnumerator () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceSet.ReadResources () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceSet.GetObjectInternal (System.String name, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceSet.GetObject (System.String name, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.RuntimeResourceSet.GetObject (System.String name, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject (System.String name, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSP_PartGen.Form1.InitializeComponent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSP_PartGen.Form1..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) KSP_PartGen.Form1:.ctor ()
at KSP_PartGen.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I have no idea what any of this means. Is it helpful in any way?

Edited by ultrasquid
asked question

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.