Need help with Mainsail overheat

now, I know that the main culprit seems to be when you put a mainsail directly on an orange tank, and that if you put a smaller tank in between, it will stop the mainsail from overheating prematurely. the problem is that when I do this, the connection between the orange tank, smaller grey tank and mainsail is pretty weak and that whole thing either wobbles to the point of throwing my rocket of course and shakes itself apart. any other work arounds? can I edit the file to stop the mainsail from overheating?

The trouble here is that the jumbo-64 is so big the heat can't path through it to another part, so even tricks like sticking struts and other surface parts on the tank can't drink up the heat.

You can fit something else in between but like you found it's wobbly, you need struts to control it, or just throttle back a bit so the heat doesn't destroy your craft :)

Maybe that new part that looks like a docking port would help here?

perhaps. I will have to come back to it later. I am trying to put a rover on the Mun with a skycrane and I have had about 10 failed launches in a row. Last time I almost made it but the mainsail overheated and exploded while in map view. I don't know if my rocket would have enough oomph if I throttled back for those last few seconds before I circularize. But I am too frustrated right now so it will have to wait lol.

If you're having the problem where the extra connection shakes your rocket apart try using the cubic octagonal struts placed one on the one tank one right underneath it on the other and connecting it with a strut (space tape)

thanks for all the help guys. superm18, that's actually what I went and did a little bit after I made my last post (I said I had to take a break because of my frustration but who am I kidding, I can't put this game down). I put that small fuel can under the jumbo one and strutted it down with something like 6 struts. probably overkill, but after all those failures, I wasn't taking any chances. but anyway, success! thanks again guys.

screenshot161_zps00093e52.png

screenshot160_zps789513b6.png

I deal with that problem by placing some reinforcement across the joint, like this.

fR5Ym6Q.png

It is possible to attach the struts directly from one tank to another without a spacer part like the small hardpoints I used in that example, but it's kind of hard to put them where you want them, and a real pain in the butt to try to pick them up again if you decide to alter the design.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.