Thank you Squad.

Syre

For creating a game that is not noob friendly. There is no 'you fail here and it's okay, it's adjustable' when you start out.

If this were an RPG style game, like career mode is probably going to be, I dare say that 'game over' would be 'game over'. You would have to go back to when you saved last - there would be no checkpoint system. You blow something up, it blows the hell up. It's gone.

We need more non noob friendly games. Like Mario was. And battle toads.

Discovered here are the rewards of challenge and failure.

Yes!

It feels good to accomplish something here.

On new-age games, for example, far cry 3, it was fun, but when I beat it I was kinda just like 'oh..okay..'

For creating a game that is not noob friendly. There is no 'you fail here and it's okay, it's adjustable' when you start out.

If this were an RPG style game, like career mode is probably going to be, I dare say that 'game over' would be 'game over'. You would have to go back to when you saved last - there would be no checkpoint system. You blow something up, it blows the hell up. It's gone.

We need more non noob friendly games. Like Mario was. And battle toads.

You cannot fail in a game. It's a game, you decide the rules. Thanks to Squad for letting us decide the rules within the game, and also setting the default rules.

You cannot fail in a game. It's a game, you decide the rules. Thanks to Squad for letting us decide the rules within the game, and also setting the default rules.

that depends on the way you define it.

For example, if you have a goal to get to the mun, and you blow up getting to orbit, you failed.

i'm a noob, and I'm enjoying this game. Even though I suck at building Space Planes/Rockets I go download some that are already built. I don't really mind at the challenge, right now, it's my 5th time trying to get into orbit without instructions.(I already know the controls)

Definitely a learning curve, I remember my first few rockets blew up on the pad ( usually because I did something wrong ). after I started getting some into the air they got a bit higher each time. sub orbital was cause for celebration. First orbit was VERY rewarding. got a few hints and how to's but did them myself. is great. recently my first plane that can get anywhere on kerbin and back to the port. working on landing and return designs for *gasp* other planets :)

Yes this gives you that "I did it" feeling.

note I have landed and returned from the mun and minmus :cool:

Why do you think that the tutorials were added? This game simulates what NASA and the ESA does, and they spend billions of dollars, and years of work on something that might blow up, and you only spend maybe one hour at the absolute maximum, and no money on something that blows up. Watch some YouTube videos to figure it all out if you need to, it just has a high learning curve. Try playing StarCraft II, people from around the world love that game, and yet it's so challenging that there are 1st place tournament prizes in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Welcome to the realm of difficult, and highly rewarding games.

• 2 months later...
They will probably have to create a "casual" mode so that CoD players can play this game too. This would boost sales and Squad would have more money to spend on adding to the game. This could be benificial for everyone.

I'm creating a derivative of Godwin's law that states, 'The longer a thread on the internet continues, the probability of someone mentioning CoD in a derisive manner approaches 1.'

They will probably have to create a "casual" mode so that CoD players can play this game too. This would boost sales and Squad would have more money to spend on adding to the game. This could be benificial for everyone.

The attention Squad gets through Youtube and other sites does that well, enough. Sandbox mode is as casual as it gets, and allows for anything to happen. Dumbing down the game will only take away from it.

Addendum: And just realized I replied to a necro-post. Well, my thought still stands.

You know it's kind of funny because I didn't really have to deal with the learning curve of KSP.

Before I actually bought KSP I watched a bunch of other people playing it to make sure I really wanted the game, and in doing so I watched about 100 video's between many different peoples series (Scott Manley, KurtJMac, StompThompson, etc.) So by the time I actually bought it and started to play it, I already had the knowledge of how everything worked so it wasn't hard to translate that into actually doing things. :D

The game is as "noob friendly" as it gets for a game about spaceflight really. I came to KSP with absoloutely no knowledge on orbital mechanics and my knowledge on rockets was little more than they're big and loud. I picked up on most of the basics within a week or two, future updates like 0.18 which added maneuever nodes and the targeting system made it even easier. Not to mention that there are plenty of mods to help someone out, from information mods to full out autopilots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.