[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

Something I've noticed about the part placement problem: it seems to not exist when moving the part from one section to another of the "same" ship. The "same" ship means either literally just, or from one ship to another when the two ships are docked. My most extensive "test" so far has been from a connector delivery probe "docked" via a winch which is part of a beam that is docked to the target ship. Unfortunately, I didn't take any screenshots.

Yea, it seems to work fine as long as it the part remains 'docked' but as soon as you try to take it away to another ship, or drop it undocked to float next to the connector.. its like loses its frame of reference, and suddenly goes 'hmm, not attached to the ship anymore, must be on the ground with zero velocity." Then your ship, or your Kerbal, smacks into the part at ~2000m/s, and starts tumbling through space half dead. Amusing, but its making my orbital trash disposal tug quite hard to use! Can't wait for the 0.4 release where this hopefully is all fixed :D

Kospy, is it at all possible to create a general cfg file that would allow all reasonably sized radially placable stock parts to become carry-able?

There will be a .cfg in v0.4 for adding grab module to stock parts.

By default only some of them will be added first. The container editor GUI missing tab right now. So the list of part storable can be long as you can see here :

oeTN0nV.jpg

The cfg is called : addmodule.cfg and it look like this :

///////// linearRcs ///////
GRAB
{
stockPartName = linearRcs
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.06, -0.3)
evaPartRot = (280.0, 0.0, 0.0)
dropAtGroundPos = false
dropPartPos = (0.0, -0.1, -0.65)
dropPartRot = (0.0, 90.0, 0.0)
addPartMass = true
storable = true
storedSize = 4
grabSndPath = KAS/Sounds/grab
}
ATTACH
{
stockPartName = linearRcs
surfaceDist = 0.03
maxDistance = 2
allowPart = True
allowEva = True
allowStatic = True
partRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
attachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/attach
detachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/detach
}
//CONFMENU
//{
//stockPartName = linearRcs
//}
///////// RCSBlock ///////
GRAB
{
stockPartName = RCSBlock
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.07, -0.34)
evaPartRot = (0.0, 270.0, -10.0)
storable = true
storedSize = 6
}
ATTACH
{
stockPartName = RCSBlock
surfaceDist = 0.05
allowPart = True
allowEva = True
allowStatic = True
partRot = (0.0, 0.0, 270.0)
}
///////// roverWheel2 ///////
GRAB
{
stockPartName = roverWheel2
evaPartPos = (0.0, -0.02, -0.34)
evaPartRot = (0.0, 270.0, 0.0)
storable = true
storedSize = 30
}
ATTACH
{
stockPartName = roverWheel2
surfaceDist = 0.19
allowPart = True
allowEva = False
allowStatic = True
partRot = (0.0, 0.0, 270.0)
}
// etc...

The list will be extended later when tabs will be added.

Edited by KospY

@ taniwha it was nothing important, i noticed in the pic from Kospy that it looked like the strut could be reattached while in space. so i was asking if that was really possible.( i have no idea what is wrong with my reply to quote feature.)

viperwolf: rather than deleting your question, you should leave it and provide the answer you found. That way you help others.
if you hit the quote button twice in a row, it works.

lol wow your right, it does work. how did you figure that out

There's one thing I want to ask about that expected update...

Seeing as how it will be very different, will there be a clean upgrade path? That old parts will no longer function is to be expected, but I hope the new ones will at least have different part names, so I can juggle the plugin files around and use vessels with old versions of KAS (Extraplanetary Launchpads is particularly dependent on that...) to construct replacements with new versions, switch to the new version of the plugin, and then, hopefully, cleanly edit the old parts out of the save...

There's one thing I want to ask about that expected update...

Seeing as how it will be very different, will there be a clean upgrade path? That old parts will no longer function is to be expected, but I hope the new ones will at least have different part names, so I can juggle the plugin files around and use vessels with old versions of KAS (Extraplanetary Launchpads is particularly dependent on that...) to construct replacements with new versions, switch to the new version of the plugin, and then, hopefully, cleanly edit the old parts out of the save...

Hehe, wuss, build ALL the things again ;)

I'm not entirely sure why it will be save breaking.

It is possible to get the connector off the cable, so as long as you unplug everything, and remove all connectors and disconnect-able attachment ports, then do the same for your saved crafts, why would anything break?

None of the features talked about so far seem to need the winch itself to change much, and re-naming parts seems unnecessary. As long as you prepare before updating, everything should be fine.

Things that need KAS to stay in place, like hanging bases, will have problems, but otherwise, I don't see why there is a problem. Unless I'm missing something?

It is possible to get the connector off the cable, so as long as you unplug everything, and remove all connectors and disconnect-able attachment ports, then do the same for your saved crafts, why would anything break?

I know it is possible, because it happened to me by accident, but I'd love to know how to get it to happen repeatably. Nevertheless it will be save breaking, if only because there are designs which use pre-attached connectors -- that is, things mounted directly onto the connectors without an intervening port. These are guaranteed to break if connectors no longer exist.

If the part names are different, I can do this:

1. Install new parts while deleting modules from their config files, making them inert and not installing new DLL(s).
  2. Construct vessels using new parts, dispose of things like hanging bases which will not be compatible, etc. In some places I can make new winches attachable with EVA using the old modules, and affix them to old vessels. It's easier to rebuild most vessels, but complex on-site connected and built bases are easier to upgrade even then.
  3. Reinstall new parts with their original configs, eradicate modules from old parts, add a module to make old parts detachable by EVA.
  4. Detach old parts with EVA and dispose of them.
  5. Once the last one is gone, delete their part files.

If the part names are the same, the list becomes much more prone to error as I also need to do global part renames across the entire save three times for multiple different parts.

Do the containers have an opening animation while you check their contents? Is it possible to implement that? I'd like to make a lid opening anim on KASPAR.

I figure you could do that fairly easily. The open while checking, that is.

None of the features talked about so far seem to need the winch itself to change much, and re-naming parts seems unnecessary. As long as you prepare before updating, everything should be fine.

Things that need KAS to stay in place, like hanging bases, will have problems, but otherwise, I don't see why there is a problem. Unless I'm missing something?

As Mihara say, v0.4 will be save breaking. But not only because winches will get their connector integrated, this is also because I changed many things in the code that I can't guarantee the compatibility between version.

Do the containers have an opening animation while you check their contents? Is it possible to implement that? I'd like to make a lid opening anim on KASPAR.

I thought about that too but as containers models provided by zzz are not animated, I didn't look into a way for handling them.

It's maybe simple but I never did it so I dont know. However, if someone provide me a animated model I can try to take a look.

Will there be backpack ?

i like to use them with TAC :)

No backpack for now. However you can take a look to KASPAR, Nothke did some nice models :)

Could you also add some sort of throttle on the winches? I often have trouble making precise adjustments because the winches go too fast. Preferably a smooth slider, so even with faster winches you can still get very low speeds.

On an unrelated note, another solution for radially mounting winches is attaching them on a hook bay.

Hey! First time posting.

I installed KAS yesterday as a means of linking together my moon base modules (Energy transfer). I realize now that I should have given it some slack before connecting and saving and all, because when I loaded it up the string jerked a module towards another one ... :/

I know I can edit the save file so it has that, 'cause the maneuvers I had to do is not something I want to repeat...

Question is, does anyone know what line in the save file I can modify to extend the winch rope? I have general understanding of such files.

Thank you!

Edited by Gnipu
Clarification

Could you also add some sort of throttle on the winches? I often have trouble making precise adjustments because the winches go too fast. Preferably a smooth slider, so even with faster winches you can still get very low speeds.

Already done on 0.4 :)

Hey! First time posting.

I installed KAS yesterday as a means of linking together my moon base modules (Energy transfer). I realize now that I should have given it some slack before connecting and saving and all, because when I loaded it up the string jerked a module towards another one ... :/

I know I can edit the save file so it has that, 'cause the maneuvers I had to do is not something I want to repeat...

Question is, does anyone know what line in the save file I can modify to extend the winch rope? I have general understanding of such files.

Thank you!

If I remember correctly version 3.x do not save the cable lenght. Cable lenght is adjusted automaticlly related to the distance of the connector part on load. However I think there is a bug in the 3.x version, where cable lenght get not adjusted...

However, you can try to set connectorDeployed, or plugstate to different value in the save file. Not sure of what will happen but maybe that will allow you to fix the issue.

Another thing you can do is just wait, 0.4 is about to be released, and saved vessel with winches will no more be compatible so...

Edited by KospY