Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge - Reloaded [New Rules Once More]

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Kerbals of all ages.. I present my entry for the challenge. I call it the Winged Aircraft of Non-Groundness or WANG for short :P

http://i.imgur.com/KrGhWpC.png - Results

http://i.imgur.com/4LeAAaZ.png - About to land

http://i.imgur.com/WNLBId1.png - Jornie Kerman standing proud and slightly concerned that the craft is rolling forwards

I claim my place on the roll of honour!

Edited by BrainiacBlue

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Kerbals of all ages.. I present my entry for the challenge. I call it the Winged Aircraft of Non-Groundness or WANG for short :P

Cool! I like your wang. No, wait, that sounded wrong. :D

dammit, did a whole circumnavigation eastwards, screenied the whole thing, and recovered the craft at the end without getting that vital F3 shot...

EDIT: Then again, neither did the previous guy. NVM, Here is Circus 1:

(For the record, my altitude peaked at 23451m)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by kahlzun

Wait a second!

TkIbami.png

I think you need to revise the rules again.

The use of this exploit could reduce the distance that you need to fly your plane from 3769911 meters(assuming the plane is at sea level) to up to 2665729 meters, a decrease in distance traveled of 70.7 percent.

Or, if you travel in a straight line to the north pole and back:

gKD8gW0.png

That would decrease it to 1884956 meters, only 50 percent of the conventional distance.

Edited by Thunderous Echo

Wait a second!

http://i.imgur.com/TkIbami.png

I think you need to revise the rules again.

The use of this exploit could reduce the distance that you need to fly your plane from 3769911 meters(assuming the plane is at sea level) to up to 2665729 meters, a decrease in distance traveled of 70.7 percent.

Or, if you travel in a straight line to the north pole and back:

http://i.imgur.com/gKD8gW0.png

That would decrease it to 1884956 meters, only 50 percent of the conventional distance.

Well, that ruins what my entry was. ;.;

• 2 weeks later...

Bob made it around Kerbin. And he got it on tape :

(no mod, second design -- first one was short on fuel, added one tank). I used both in-game (x4) and video editor (x20) fast-forward to make the video under 3 minutes. I had to throttle down to conserve fuel and made an unpowered landing with not even a fuel unit left.

nice. cant believe you did that in full-blown career mode... :cool:

Well you know, that's really the biggest benefit to using reusable aircrafts, fuel is cheap. I fly a bunch of missions in career mode without any contracts to fulfil, as long as you're using spaceplanes (and not crashing them) it's like every mission is free. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing something for the Kadvent calendar and remembered this thread, so I rebuilt my plane to be all stock and no MechJeb (for flying anyway, I used it for about 5 seconds in the hangar to show off the specs) and flew it around the globe. One needs to be seriously bored to do this by the way (which I most thoroughly am on a sidenote).

Anyway, here goes the KCP-MK1 around the globe on jet fuel only:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I would like to know if all these ways of completing the challenge are accepted:

1- From east to west

2- From west to east

3- Polar: KSC > northpole > southpole > KSC

4- Polar: KSC > southpole > northpole > KSC

5- Any of the above, but on foot

• 1 month later...

oh my god, too many entries to review. LOL :D gotta go each of them first

Figured I'd give this a shot with my SR-71. I saw that plugins are banned but it said it was a bit lax . . . is using TAC Fuel Balancer accepted?

from the frontpage:

-Any kinds of plugins (no matter what the use is) are NOT allowed. (Rule a bit 'laxed now, since I have accepted entries with Kerbal Alarm Clock and Crew Manifest, so any future entries using those plugins will now be added. The All-plugin ban are STILL in effect, though)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.