Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge - Reloaded [New Rules Once More]

Well that was quick. My Sky Rider preformed perfectly and with some fuel still left over, however almost over shot the KSC and land in the water but the brakes stopped me from going into the drink thankfully. 1380083_577976442251204_555052946_n.jpg1377220_577976428917872_1137637642_n.jpg

Since the failure in the BSC Competition, KermaJet Engineers felt it necessary to make a point that the Ravenspear design can work...

...but circumnavigating Kerbin is a daunting task, so some modifications were needed.

The not-seen Ravenspear modification is the RS1LT - a Raven with a tail. However, for the top speed run, it was decided one engine should be sufficient if loaded with enough fuel. So here it is, flight of the KermaJet RS1TT - a twin-tail, single engine version of the Ravenspear, with the TwinCharger intake design.

The entire flight was on fire, even coming in hot to land at KSC.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You can fly the KermaJet RS1TT for yourself here.

P.S. I fly 100 percent stock. No mods at all.

Edited by Blaster

Oh, didn't knew 0.22 was already released! Will be active once more in the following days, unless mentioned otherwise. :D

I'll shake this bouncy booty.

I kept it simple, and made the run at around 20KM in just under an hour. Landed literally on FUMES.

Photoshopped the final stats back onto the landing pic, partly because it's easier to read (after I down-res'd the image) and partly because the pic was too pretty to mess up with a center box (they should make it move-able). They're accurate, tho.

-Mike

-snip-

Well that was quick. My Sky Rider preformed perfectly and with some fuel still left over, however almost over shot the KSC and land in the water but the brakes stopped me from going into the drink thankfully.

-snip-

Since the failure in the BSC Competition, KermaJet Engineers felt it necessary to make a point that the Ravenspear design can work...

...but circumnavigating Kerbin is a daunting task, so some modifications were needed.

The not-seen Ravenspear modification is the RS1LT - a Raven with a tail. However, for the top speed run, it was decided one engine should be sufficient if loaded with enough fuel. So here it is, flight of the KermaJet RS1TT - a twin-tail, single engine version of the Ravenspear, with the TwinCharger intake design.

-snip-

Saw your entries just now, well done! Some nice workarounds right there. And welcome to the club guys! :)

Game on, this looks fun. Is it okay to go for a polar circumnavigation? I want to land at the poles to check them out.

Crashing would suck.

Sure thing, as long as you pull it out, and it's still under the rules (there's no specified path, as long as you can make it around Kerbin and land successfully).

Awesome challenge. It gave me a reason to try airplanes and learn cockpit view. Now I got a neat rescue/shuttle/long range patrol craft.

On the runway.

2iav41w.jpg

Climbing...Turned tanks on and off every 50 liters to keep the plane balanced.

24nlo2x.jpg

Flew cockpit view most the way for better control of altitude.

16m9cw8.jpg

Descending...Trying to lose altitude and speed, clear the mountains, and find the runway.

29z1zef.jpg

The passengers look a little green.

2n3n8o.jpg

Success!

1hqic2.jpg

How do you guys get above 20km without a flameout?

Here is an example of the approximate maximum speed and altitude my 2 best hypersonic aircraft seem to be capable of.

Kesna V

screenshot234.png

X-7R

screenshot208.png

They both handle flameouts pretty well but they like to yaw to one side fairly hard and I usually lose 2 or 3 km of altitude recovering.

P.S. This is not a submission even though the X-7R has circumnavigated Kerbin (Albeit with refueling via the detachable rover front and fuel tanks dropped to the poles from space)

Edited by wolfedg

[...]The passengers look a little green.[...]

:D Whoever would have expected that?

I like your idea of flying from within the cockpit. Your aircraft design is... uh, "innovative", as well.

Congratulations on your achievement with a novel approach that looks like it was a lot of fun! :cool:

Awesome challenge. It gave me a reason to try airplanes and learn cockpit view. Now I got a neat rescue/shuttle/long range patrol craft.

-snip-

Yup, this might be the first kerbal airliner capable of circumnavigating Kerbin :0.0: welcome to the club!

Here is an example of the approximate maximum speed and altitude my 2 best hypersonic aircraft seem to be capable of.

-snip-

They both handle flameouts pretty well but they like to yaw to one side fairly hard and I usually lose 2 or 3 km of altitude recovering.

P.S. This is not a submission even though the X-7R has circumnavigated Kerbin (Albeit with refueling via the detachable rover front and fuel tanks dropped to the poles from space)

I don't know, I guess it has something to do with your speed. And with that attitude, it looks like the game treats it as "re-entering" the atmosphere.

Didn't think I could do this as I've never had any luck with airplanes...

-snip-

simple aircraft design, not bad at all. welcome to the club! :D

I'd join this challenge, but I've never had the patience to circumnavigate Kerbin. I'm pretty sure my planes are capable of it though.

The fastest you can be is half-an-hour. That won't take long if you ask me, especially if you got nothing to do :)

Probably the last guy who should try to answer you because I never flew a plane until this challenge and it took me a week to figure it out...

Flameouts drove me to a single engine design...better control when they happened. Eventually I overcame flameouts by adding enough Radial Air Intakes to increase the IntakeAir resource. I ended up with six of them somehow, but I doubt that is the optimum number.

The other problem I had was running out of fuel. Adding fuel helped of course. But cruising at 1/3 throttle seemed to also help. With rockets you balance thrust with gravity and drag, so I assumed the same relationship would hold with planes.

The Falcon

Twice around kerbin with Fuel to spare

Handled well.Think i may have to give 3 times round a try.

To the OP

Could you Plz add me to the List to pplz who have been round twice:cool:

All Stock except for Kerbal Paint.

34E51B8A3154BB17198088E49419FE1366600E81

Ready for take off

47F246F738B5E89175E61DC80DA1761AF4830999

1st time round

8411178656F62EC4FF455EB523AC1B4201FDA1EF

Coming round for the second time

E48FE28012F4373BA74EA191DB3482B0FBCA7CB2

Final Miles, Landed at KSC

40185FA34E292D9D76DCF7B7CE1FEEBADD33B74C

Great Challange, can really test your endurance and piloting skillz:huh:

Guest Brody_Peffley
The Falcon

Twice around kerbin with Fuel to spare

Handled well.Think i may have to give 3 times round a try.

To the OP

Could you Plz add me to the List to pplz who have been round twice:cool:

All Stock except for Kerbal Paint.

34E51B8A3154BB17198088E49419FE1366600E81

Ready for take off

47F246F738B5E89175E61DC80DA1761AF4830999

1st time round

8411178656F62EC4FF455EB523AC1B4201FDA1EF

Coming round for the second time

E48FE28012F4373BA74EA191DB3482B0FBCA7CB2

Final Miles, Landed at KSC

40185FA34E292D9D76DCF7B7CE1FEEBADD33B74C

Great Challange, can really test your endurance and piloting skillz:huh:

Its impossible to go around kerbin with that much fuel..

Its impossible to go around kerbin with that much fuel..

Ya..I think if i conserved more on the on the first time around i may have had enough for a third time.

And actually Im pretty sure I can go round kerbin with only 300 fuel in a diff plane.

Edited by GraviTykillz

• 2 weeks later...

I made it! It took me longer than I expected, and it ended way past my bedtime. But, I've gotten it done. And it was good stuff. I had some trouble keeping it level, so I was doing a lot of up-and-down. But I managed to stay below the 25km marker.

Coronare Kerbinax in the SPH. Only 26 parts!! :)

HzPXegTh.png

In flight over Kerbin

XeIyG52h.png

Flight Results! Relatively smooth on the acceleration to boot. And plenty of fuel left.

du8hkMch.png

Edited by Truesilver

• 1 month later...

Is this still going on? I have an all stock 747 with 21000+ fuel I'm pretty sure could do this, Although it's not very efficient, you guys have these small aircraft which travel extremely high which allow them to go fast, my bulky 747 is slow, around 150 m/s when fully loaded with 8 jet engines and cruises at 8000 meters lol but as it drains fuel it'll be able to go faster and higher

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.