Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge - Reloaded [New Rules Once More]

Well apparently void due to totally messed-up landing, but wow, talk about extreme tests of patience...

Definitely deserves a special mention for the Under 9000 run. Heck, it is even a whole new challenge in its own right!

New plane, more patience and cruising around Kerbin at 3000 meters altitude and at 75 m/s as I type this.... gonna be a long flight (maybe go around twice) and this time I will stick the landing. :-)

UPDATE: at the 19 hour mark at the rim of the great crater for the second time.. on track for a double circumnavigation.

Edited by Coneshot

My entry in this :) However, all the engines fell off on landing :P

All stock parts and no mods like mechjeb

I don't think you need quite as many intakes for this flight. Since the ceiling is only 25 km, you should be fine with 3-4 intakes for your 3 engines. Would make you fly even faster, since the plane would have much less drag.

Here's my entry, it's been a while since i did a proper circumnavigation, i think it was back in .17 i tried something like this =)

-snip-

Congratulations! :D

One question:I have MechJeb installed but I don't use it since ASAS was enough for me. Is it okay to just have it? It doesn't affect flight in any way anyway

As long as you won't make it visible and using it for other purposes during the attempt then no problem.

OVER 22 1/2 hours!!!?? lol Here it is, this time I landed it and went around twice!(Double circumnavigation):

screenshot346.png

screenshot362.png

screenshot367.png

closeupstats.png

Again, no mods, gimmicks, debug, timewarp, sleep, social life, ETC..

Edit: added pic of in flight and landed.

Edited by Coneshot

OVER 22 1/2 hours!!!?? lol Here it is, this time I landed it and went around twice!(Double circumnavigation):

-snip-

Again, no mods, gimmicks, debug, timewarp, sleep, social life, ETC..

Edit: added pic of in flight and landed.

Okay, now you're in. Too much effort has been given. And it's already a new challenge in its own right (but I know no one would dare to do so...) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did it. Although I finished this without looking at the rules, so I suppose my submission is void. I used the B9 pack for my plane, as well as FAR. Oh, well also, I suppose I used drop tanks too. Oh, and the lazor mod simply for navigation purposes. However, it was an absolutely spectacular flight, a polar circumnavigation cruising between 12-17km at 1200m/s for less than an hour, and I was back at KSC. However, the scary part was landing, considering I had never had a successful landing with the aircraft I used, so I prepared myself for several go-arounds. On the first run, I came in a little high and fast, but successfully touched down going .5+/- mach and hit the brakes. Did I mention it was at night? Well, as luck would have it my front wheel LITERALLY stopped between the landing lights on the runway, (I landed backwards, because I just had to do a flyby and buzz the tower following such an epic journey, the first of its sort for me). <a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/VMbr2w6.png' alt='VMbr2w6.png'> Literally right where I came to a stop, an hour and 5 minutes in with 1100 litres of liquid fuel left. Unfortunately, as I tried to EVA my pilot to plant a flag in honor of this momentous occasion, CRASH BANG GRIND, my game crashed. And regardless, I know this doesn't even come close to the rules for this challenge, I'm still happy for such a prolonged and detailed mission being completed successfully, and without even leaving the atmosphere.

Edited by CaptainCrunchSaus
In the event anybody cares enough, I'll post a picture of the plane pre-flight, it's purdy looking.

Does "no takeoff assist devices" include Seperatrons that aren't jettisoned?

Never mind, those are something other than jet engines. Not allowed :)

I do t I'll try this. Aviation Lights should have no effect on my attempt other than a tiny extra weight penalty (even though they are a plugin).

Edited by Zeroignite

Ok, double-posting since I completed this challenged :D

Meet the Eristophanes:

GsadWK0.jpg

(the only plugin that makes any gameplay difference here are Aviation Lights, and functionally all they do is add some dead mass and power draw to the aircraft)

Takeoff was surprisingly smooth --- three intakes, one turbojet, four fueltanks.

TapRoYj.png

Settled into cruising at a nominal altitude of 23.5km. Of course I bounced around a bit, but only really got nervous if I went above 24km. Cruising speed started out at arount 1,500m/s, but rose to over 18,00m/s as fuel drained. Reentry effects make superjets significantly more... exciting.

1ovKFXE.png

KSC in view, with fuel right about where I'm comfortable with :) Planting a flag at the end of the runway is a good navigational aid.

FcpBjvO.png

Stuck the landing! The CoG was incredibly stable over the course of the flight. I call that good design.

rAiOAZj.png

And proof of a valid submission: MET 46:41, Max Altitude 24,721m, 8.5% fuel remaining, and Jennie Kerman is a badass.

XY95R38.png

Whoo!

I hear a lot of moaning and groaning about infinigliders. From what I've seen, these infinigliders are just jet planes with lots of control surfaces. So I said, "If you're going to infiniglide, do it 100%"

And so this happened :cool::

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Don't mind the explosiony stuff in the mission log, that was from the pizza delivery challenge and I forgot to re-start the flight.

The time is roughly 9 minutes longer than the actual mission time.

Sorry if you're submitting it as an entry to this challenge, but any kinds of bug abuse/exploit isn't allowed.

And thanks for finding a loophole here. The rules have been updated now. :D

This brings up a good question: what is the purpose of this challenge?

Is it to fly around the world?

Is it to have the patience to fly around the world?

It is to fly around the world while being limited engineering-wise?

Also, I would like to point out that my entry does qualify:

Make an aircraft that can circumnavigate Kerbin (from KSC and back to KSC) on or below the set altitude and in accordance to a set of rules.

The rules simply did not mention that you could not use a creative and ingenious design making the best of an engine discrepancy at the time of completion of the flight.

Is it to fly around the world?

Yes.

Is it to have the patience to fly around the world?

Yes.

It is to fly around the world while being limited engineering-wise?

Yes.

The rules simply did not mention that you could not use a creative and ingenious design making the best of an engine discrepancy at the time of completion of the flight.

But the rules does now say that

-Any kinds of bug abuse/exploit will void your entry.

After seeing your attempt to challenge my rules.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.