Rubber Band Inc: Caterpillar tracks.

electronicfox

WHY HAVEN'T YOU RELEASED ANY OF THESE MAGNIFICENT TRACKS????????? You've got atleast two ready to go, gimme gimme gimme!!! :P

We have 2 that are textured and in-game, but right now they use very little resources and hold a lot of them. Balancing still needs to be done.

It's amazing how diligently you've been working on these. I look forward to a release!

Thank you.

Are you going to release each set as it is finished?

I am getting 4 sets done for the first release (the two you've seen in-game, the large set and a small probe-sized set), once these are done, released and de-bugged, chances are that a few more sets will be created.

Have a video on the big tracks.

Theyre a little buggy at the moment so we're working on fixing that, but I thought you guys would like to see them in game.

There was some music playing in the background which I didnt notice when recording, so ignore that.

Edit:

In all the time I've been on these forums, I dont think any amount of pleading or rushing has caused a mod to be released prematurely, if anything I find it to be a motivator to make things better when people really want to use something we're creating...

I know I said the above before, but my opinion has changed a little. Countless pleas wont make things go any faster. I am working on these whenever I can but I do also have a job and clients in freelance work, as well as a social life and university so sometimes updates will get delayed, or these wont be released quite as quickly as some of you hope (And unless he is some form of robot, similar stuff will apply with EndlessWaves). Now I know most of you are pretty innocently just wanting to play with tracks, knowing that it may take some time, but I do not appreciate PM's anywhere asking for release after I have said repeatedly that these arent yet ready. I wont name and shame, but you know who you are.

Sorry about the little rant, but it had to be done.

On a more positive note, thanks to all you other guys for the support an attention on these.

Edited by electronicfox

I remember looking at this thread when it was first made, the tracks have come a long way since then. Anyway thanks for putting up the videos, its nice to see how they work!

Its a shame that the first thread vanished in the forum-pocalypse, I liked the ideas that were thrown around in there.

You've got atleast two ready to go, gimme gimme gimme!!! :P

We've got two textured models in game, that's not quite the same thing as two finished parts. One of them has a wheel that spins at the wrong speed for no apparent reason, the other one doesn't have all of the colliders of it's brethren so will sink into the ground on it's side/top. Both have screwy icons in the editor that means they'll need to be reimported and re-set up.

Plus there are a few plugin-wide bugs to be sorted and some testing to do, both to check they won't pack up three hours from home and to make sure all the controls behave sensibly.

I did managed to sort out the visual bugs on track mirroring today, turns out it needed the w component of the tangents flipping. I still need to sort of compatibility with the stock FXModuleLookAtConstraint we're using for the suspension, but that should hopefully be simpler.

What is this about using solid fuel? Is it lubricant for the wheels?

Nah, I just added it temporarily to test spacing for multiple resources. It's unlikely the release will be using SolidFuel (although disposable units are quite an interesting idea given the limited lifespan tracks have in reality).

Edited by EndlessWaves

Nah, I just added it temporarily to test spacing for multiple resources. It's unlikely the release will be using SolidFuel (although disposable units are quite an interesting idea given the limited lifespan tracks have in reality).

If you want to put limited uptime on parts it should be a separate mod, and not one that I'll be installing. Unless it's like you can have the kerbal EVA to do maintenance on it to reset the counter or something. But still, keep this simple. Just electric please.

I agree with auto, have it separate, or able to be repaired/refueled easily.

Yeah, I was only speculating out loud rather than planning anything. None of the standard tracks will require maintenance. A lot of the possible uses for a disposable track part are handicapped by the on rails system. I was thinking automated supply deliveries dropped off from an aircraft or preliminary exploration duties but the 2.5km limit does make it difficult.

Hmmm...you should use the World of Tanks track breaking sounds for when these break.

The just have the default explosion behaviour so it might sound a bit funny. Sounds are something that isn't in the mod yet but I'd rather stick to sounds we can get permission to use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.