Rubber Band Inc: Caterpillar tracks.

electronicfox

Wheels are cool and all, but wouldnt you prefer wheels covered in more things? Of course you do, and so we present you the cutting-edge technology of caterpillar tracks (again, after a bit of a hiatus).

Behold the video!

That was just one of the prototype models, a proof of concept if you will.

Here is the most recent model, currently being textured ready for the latest tests.

Tracks1.PNG

tracks2.PNG

Credit to EndlessWaves for the coding side of it all.

Edited by electronicfox

It has been said over and over again: "Tracks cannot be made". I've never believed that and, judging by the video in the first post, you have succeeded in creating the impossible. (Ever thought about creating a perpetuum mobile?!) Well done!!

I looked at the 'proof of concept'video twice now and it really looks and acts like a tracked vehicle. I presume you would have released it by now if all obstacles have been removed and all problems solved. What are the things which still need to be addressed?

Right now it would mostly be getting the textures for the tracks animated, and getting the suspension bars working, beyond that it would be making some final models and ditching the test pieces altogether.

This has been worked on since about January, but I have been pretty busy with work till now so progress went a little slowly, but Endlesswaves kept up the coding and made most of this possible.

Before the forums were nuked there was a thread where we discussed the theories on making tracks work properly (maybe they still exist somewhere in googles chache).

The collider setup is actually fairly simple, no more complex than a set of regular wheels. The tracks dont actually move at all, but rather bend with the movement of the wheels. A texture will then be animated over the tracks to give the illusion of movement.

By the way, if anyone has any particular track designs they'd want made for the pack, just let me know here.

I'd imagine there's a few Warhammer 40k treadheads wanting to build Rhinos, Chimeras, Land Raiders and the like.

This looks awesome. I hope there will be versions that can be side-mounted like the current rover wheels - I can't quite tell if the ones in the picture you posted are a single unit or just left and right track placed close together.

Also, I'm assuming these are electrically powered like the rover wheels, right? Is the sound playing during the video supposed to be an engine noise? That wouldn't make much sense...

Edited by Tallinu

There hasn't been any sound assigned to the tracks, so it may be the whooshy windy noise that occurs when you gather speed you're hearing.

they are currently electrically driven and can be side mounted (the set in the video is a whole single part, but the newer ones are two parts)

We will indeed be making smaller versions for smaller vehicles, and a few variations too.

What models will you create? Will you include that proof of concept (or even larger ones)?

Ghost010 isn't the only one who has thought about the Thunderbirds (or more generally of the models used by Gerry Anderson).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.