Project BABYLON

Tada

Portal 2 reference - eh? :D Don´t get it much, never played the game. Well, we´re the good guys, don´t worry :)

And now of you go to fly your vital mission ;) Once "Saphire" is in orbit we can really make stuff happen! And my last requirement to "Saphire" station - be sure it is orbiting the right way - matching rotation of Laythe :)

To all: Get a close look at all the ships, mainly the "Damkina" class mothership and submint ideas how to improve its performance.

P.S.: And for those of you who can´t dock or flight interplanetary - go watch some Scott Manly and try it! We need skilled pilots! Flying missions to Laythe is no walk in the park as well as flying cargo delivery flights to orbital station or motheship.

Edited by Tada

Well i have ran out of ideas for launch stages so im calling on the help of you guys. i will be posting the craft file. also i was wondering if breaking it down to 2 parts then assembling it in space it would cut the 150 mass units in half and make getting it up there easier. if broken it would be broken at the spot were it gets thiner.

Link to craft file : http://www./?71pzfxwrr7xr16p

her is a picture of it with the new modular smart missiles and cluster engine

screenshot18.png

In current save file I relased take a look at Damkinas ascent stage - might be working.

Thats the biggest problem of engine clusters - you cannot build ascent stage under it.

I hope we can get this cruiser working because it looks totaly awesome!

thanks i looked but the damkinas stage but the damkina is smaller in weight but ill give it more thought

:)

I put up a thread to see if i can get any launch stages that would work from the community

Can you upload a version with no Mechjeb? As the one used in Project gotta be stock. :)

I was giving some thought how to explore a good landing site on Laythe. Classic probe has no crossrange capability, space shuttle is heavy and expensive. But wait... Is there a third way? Yes, there is! An UAV! It has some 40km or 14minutes of airtime at sea-level. It will be brought to Laythe on Damkina, on special mount or instead of those 2 radial mounted probes, I will see about that - what would be easier.

Behold the Butterfly UAV Prototype:

524598_4798024916517_493262313_n.jpg

320724_4798024876516_1933999459_n.jpg

Thats the biggest problem of engine clusters - you cannot build ascent stage under it.

For most engine clusters you can, you'll just attach the booster to the centre engine on the cluster if there is one or use an extender rod coming down from the centre node if there's no engine there. With LV-N you can't use the first option as the special LV-N engine shroud will destroy the surrounding engines when its staged.

For large LV-N clusters I find it best to just treat the ship as the core stage of an asparagus and attach boosters radially around it:

6y388j.jpg

If you like just share the craft file for the cruiser and I'll figure out a way to get it into orbit.

brobel: I gave it just a quick spin - looks great, those missiles are awesome, but I haven´t tested them againts my favorite target yet. Light cruiser was pretty imune againts them even when I hit it with speeds like 300m/s. Ship itself looks great, enough fuel, good propulsion - but it tends to flex horibly in that mid section :(

Still thinking about Damkina class - make it bigger with extra 1440 units of fuel or keep it nice and compact (as I like)...? Well awaiting suggestions after you guys try to fly it!

Edited by Tada

All you got to do is add like 10 struts and it fixs it like a charm if you want i can repost it but i think its a easy fix on your own if you dont want to go through the trouble. useing hyperedit i tested it entering jools middle atmosphere at 15,000.:D

Great, great! Cannot wait we have it working! Get in touch with Temstar to help you build the ascent stage. As you are done you will fly official mission of PROJECT Babylon - getting your cruiser into orbit, refueling it and getting it ready for Laythe trip (and you´ll be propably the one flying to Laythe ;) )!

Well, I planed that the cruiser would accompany Damkina on it´s way to Laythe every time it flies from Kerbin to Laythe and back. Do you think that you can fly 2 capital ships almost simultaneusly? Well, you may start your training ;)

The rocket is slowly getting into Jool orbit. Then Laythe orbit. So I have extra time to do things.

Sapphire is an exact clone of Horizon, so much exact that a bug actually made them have exactly the same crew.

Anyway, I'll let you know when it's finished.

I'm just a bit worried about the handling and practicability of that cruiser. At 563 parts and with that form factor it seems like it would be pretty unwieldy to perform orbital maneuvers and dock with. I say function must come before form.

Temstar: I agree on that, but it´s just so great looking. But surely enough, something useful will come out of it... :)

ROFLCopter64bit: Great news!

P.S.: Being a true planner I do have a contingency plan, If we need a cruiser ASAP. Do you remember your history? Things called auxilliary cruisers? Basicaly fast liner ships armed up to be able to defend itself... Well...

Edited by Tada

Well the weapons work on it

just enjoy the destruction.

with one smart rocket i did all this (the other seven missed :blush:

screenshot37.png

And the missile survived

screenshot40.png

screenshot42.png

screenshot43.png

All of the ship fell apart because of one little missile going at 200 mph.(i think it hit the orange fuel tank holding the whole thing together

And if you want i could always make one with a lower part count but same capability :)

Edited by brobel

Well, it is less parts then sepratron torpedo used on my Shade... But you may give it a try and show us. Main think I love about those is, that they can be reloaded! So it will make our ships 100% reusable!

Well, it is starting to look that our Laythe outpost will be the best supplied and best defended out there. Not even mighty Dreadnought class won´t bother us much ;)

But bear in mind, that our effort is peacful and we don´t wanna harm anyone :rolleyes: But as international space law goes - you cannot place nukes on orbit, but all other stuff you pretty much can... But well, peace with all!

brobel: Do you think that you will be abble to re-arm all military crafts with your torpedoes as it will be your turn with official save file? We will discuss particulars if you would be interested :)

Edited by Tada

No one was killed just shaken up a little. There still alive and just drifting in space without an engine:)

But do you think i should make one that is a little bit more practical

We´ll curent design of torpedo looks practical to me... But if you can make it better - why not? But I like current capabilities - power and reloadability... Hope you and Temstar will crack that launch stage problem :)

Here's the prototype:

jm3PGSm.jpg

I think I made more of a Gunship than a Cruiser. Working on the launch vehicle now. It's VERY manuverable with RCS on. 205t and 5000dv (I can add more fuel if needed) without munitions with the exception twin 18 shot decoupler/saparatron cannons at the front. Hardpoints for 12 Smart Missiles behind the observation center and bays for 4 anti-capital ship Smart Missiles on the sides. Not that you'll need any of that. Bob says looking this thing head should be enough to Make potential rivals soil themselves. Of course it may have had something to do with Jeb pushing buttons while Bob was snapping this picture of the new ride:

iMbzSSb.png

Edited by 23278

There's lots of fuel on the ship so the problem is not delta-V but thrust, and it's easy enough to design some boosters to increase the thrust:

vkdh3.jpg

The problem is gravity turn. The fact that the ship are made out of aerodynamic surfaces induces undesired torque forces on the craft once I start gravity turn. Usually vectored thrust can over come such forces but because the ship is so long the torque forces at the front of the ship has such a huge leverage that so far nothing I tried can keep it under control.

Well I made Another one with more than 100 parts less than the other (and it has more DeltaV and thrust) Downside is it weighs more by about 100 mass units and only has 4 smart missiles( the missiles and the stands they sit on together add about 50 parts each side so i only did one side which also makes it a little unbalanced but there is a lot of rcs.

screenshot44.pngscreenshot45.png

But it looks like we should be able to get the other one up in space.

Edited by brobel

The booster Add-on to the cruiser looks like it will work i guess sometimes simpler is better :) and maybe gravity turn later so wings don't catch so much atmosphere. THANK YOU :D

Edited by brobel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.