Military Weapons in KSP

I mainly play for the exploration and building aspects but several of my larger investments have a military ship with them. I know theres nothing to shoot but it just looks awsome. :)

What happens if the probe bodies rise up like cylons? :P

And you sir have just given me an awsome idea. ;)

Admittedly I would like there to be a military game where you build your own vehicles and stuff just like in KSP but that doesn't exist yet :(

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

In fact if Kerbals where a totally peaceful race that's never engaged in warfare, it's difficult to imagine how they ended up with a space program.

Perhaps the same way the first (tiny) rockets were used, as fireworks. But instead of converting them to weapons, like we humans did, they just kept developing bigger & bigger firework rockets, till one said: *Hey! We can get into space with this!* And voila, birth of the Kerbal Space Program!

Edit: Capt'n Skunky seems to have a similar idea how they got to the Kerbal Space Program: Multi-purpose rockets

Edited by Starlight

I tried once to get rid of a big chunk of space debris by shooting separatrons at it. -snip-

Separatrons at 2 km/s relative velocity just made it spinning like crazy w/o doing any kind of damage. .

Yeah, separatrons are just too small to do any damage. Try SRBs :P

Separatrons will add extra speed when they hit, but something that hits with more momentum will have enough force to break the parts.

I like the image of the ships chasing the little separatrons. That would've been quite a mission!

Perhaps the same way the first (tiny) rockets were used, as fireworks. But instead of converting them to weapons, like we humans did, they just kept developing bigger & bigger firework rockets, till one said: *Hey! We can get into space with this!* And voila, birth of the Kerbal Space Program!

I thought the Chinese invented the rocket as a weapon (scare tactic) and its use as a firework came after?

Actually, the firework was also a kind of weapon, the Chinese used them because they believed the noise would scare off the demons.

Kerbals do have an enemy, and enemy which threatens the space program, it lurks in orbit, it creeps around the launch centre. The war against DEBRIS is in full sway.

So while FRANK defends the launch site...

mpF3kg8l.jpg

The REAVER patrols LKO.

P7ZvNVvl.jpg

And anyway, weaponry is just another route to that classic Kerbal moment; something going bang.

Maybe they thought they'd like to go to other planets and needed a transportation device to do so? It's only weapon related to us because we are violent, crazy apes, Kerbals might be sane.

No "sane" species would ever evolve intelligence.

I was asked same questin yesterady...

1. Military ships are fun...

2. I want to make some scenarios in my project for people to play and simple go there/land there/dock to his ain´t gonna cut it...

What can you do in base kerbal(simplified)-

1. Build something that goes up.

2. Build something that goes to orbit

3. Build something that goes to a moon.

4. Build something that goes to another planet.

5. Build something that goes to another planets moon.

6. Build something that goes to something you built.

7. Any of the above, plus comes back/goes somewhere else after the first part.

Annnd right now that's about it. Now thanks to how kerbal works that is a whole HELL of a lot. Also you can "gather" data, but the data gathering devices, much like the communications ones, are as aesthetic as the nose cones.

So, adding weapons actually adds gameplay space. We all know mining is planned in the future as something else that can go on that list(extensively), but even without adding weapons i'd say "shoot something you made down" is a very fun and practical challenge. Accommodating and efficiently using stock jury rigged weaponry is actually very fun and quite difficult to do and gives yet another goal for people who've maybe only done parts of the above list, and don't want to build a space base on laythe, or a moon satellite network, or giant dres space station, or whatever.

Further actually efficiently piloting and using such things requires a skill(and design) that the normal game currently(and may never) actually ask of you. Both long range accuracy on a target(you never have any reason to shoot something at something else from any distance or speed), and if you want to get technical, be maneuverable in space. Most spaceships are large, hulking, and VERY slow, so building something that's supposed to be agile and zip around once it's up there is actually a heck of a challenge(heck a PLANE that's agile is tricky enough right now) and you have to develop completely different skill to pilot such a craft.

So yeah, there's a ton of people who just want to watch stuff go boom as is evidence by the endless supply of weak to deadly overpowered weaponry mods, but there's also a lot who just want to have a way to test, learn, and use new skills in the game. Heck i'll probably put a Space slalom into orbit just to test craft maneuverability at some point, and give me a reason to make these stupidly difficult to pilot agile death machines(mostly for the pilot).

Edited by Eji1700

I dont want military weapons in KSP.... I want to build crazy rockets... and then see if they will A. fly, B. fly well C. not explode D. get into orbit E. get to other planets and F. not explode when they get there

Adding guns/lasers/heat seeking missiles is just so last century anyway... when your job is having a hand in making this sort of thing

rifle1.jpg

weapons are just so boring

Boris

Well the devs have said they're not ever going to be in the game, so as long as they stay as mods, I'm perfectly happy with them, I uninstalled mine cause I couldn't hit a barn door at point blank, even with the lazor by romfarer, kept the lazor systems tho, just deleted the missiles and stuff

I'd prefer the dev team stick to what their vision of KSP is instead of trying to add everything into the game in an attempt to please everyone. That's one of the major problems with AAA developed games today. Everything is homogenized and watered down in order to appeal to the widest customer base possible.

Weapon fanciers should thank their lucky stars that the devs allow weapons in KSP mods. The developer of Orbiter will not allow weapons at all. I heard this was due to the fact he was a pacifist.

As for no enemies cause they're all kerbals in the same space programme... What happens if the probe bodies rise up like cylons? :P

Hah. That may yet happen.

Darpa Robots Will Turn Dead Satellites Into a Zombie Orbital Array

Pentagon’s Zombie Satellite Program Comes to Life

Edited by nyrath

Again, one of the main reasons I love KSP is the the conspicuous absence of military and nationalistic aspects. The devs have made it clear that they will never add weapons to the game. This was a big selling point for me.

Lack of a "Duh, let's shoot people up for funsies" mentality sets KSP apart. If you want a mindless, blood-drenched firestorm of a game, there are thousands available already. It's an overworked genre, and I'm happy KSP has avoided the same trap.

Edited by Guest

I pretty much have a grudge against the FPS genre as its one of the main reasons that inventive and origional games are so rare these days. I wouldn't mind most shooting games so much if they actually came up with somthing new rather than just copying and pasting the previous one. :(

KSP vanilla should of course stay weapon-free, because they're not needed and they don't fit the style.

However, I don't understand why weapon mods would bother anyone? It's a sandbox game, so I'd expect to have endless possibilities.

I have nothing against the military or weapons in general. Some of the weapons such as the lasers are good for cleaning up the launch pad and runaway. But as for 90% of the weapon mods are a bit pointless and just a sad attempt at getting a military added into the game.

I have nothing against weapon/military mods for KSP, as that keeps them an optional aspect that I can steer completely clear of. Destroying things is easy. Exploration is hard.

I have nothing against weapon/military mods for KSP, as that keeps them an optional aspect that I can steer completely clear of. Destroying things is easy. Exploration is hard.

Uh-huh. Spoken like someone's who's not tried it. Imagine trying to get an intercept on a target that's actively avoiding it. Now take your spacecraft and imagine having to add defensive components - armour, magazines, weapons and think about the level of complexity that adds.

I think there is a huge difference between including weapons in KSP, and people building weapons.

Why do people build weapons? Because there is a somewhat limited list of items you can build with tubes of explosives that shoot fire out them end of them, and most of us have logged at least 100 hours in this game. With no career mode, we're left to our own devices. We're playing with little green men. Sometimes, you're gonna make them go "Pew Pew".