[Stock] 30 sec Altitude Challenge!

I don't get how that things work,are you using the fact that the decoupler have a bit of "force"/power when you decouple something?like it "pull out" a bit to seperate the two pieces,and then you use a tons of that little power?

If it's the case,that's insane,and brilliant at the same time : P

Yeah. Decouplers exert a fixed amount of force, which is usually just enough to make two bits of separated ship move slowly away from each other, but that's because the ships are large. You get an order of magnitude more value out of your force if you use a probe core rather than the manned capsule, but the manned one has lower drag, and since Kerbin's atmosphere is a magic aerobrake, the manned capsule is the better plan. That's true for 200ish decouplers at least, theoretically there should be a point at which the probe core gets up to Mach 300, clears the lower atmosphere in three frames, and is free to blast into space at speeds that could make 100 km in 30s. Whether or not that's doable within the limits of KSP has yet to be tested, at some point when my computer's free to hang for an hour, I'll do a 768 decoupler probe and check.

May I see the ship at lauch (or takeoff)?

It's peculiar that not many have crossed the 30km mark and you come out of the blue with a 48km height!

Besides that, I think you made a new record!

This is the ship at launch but I will post a pic later today

So this just became "Who can stand to wait 3 days to load a ship that breaks kerbins SOI" ?

(And are magic turbines really a bug? The game is "designed" to have a massive amount of torque on command pods, they're just extremely powerful helicopters!)

Edited by Fel

So this just became "Who can stand to wait 3 days to load a ship that breaks kerbins SOI" ?

(And are magic turbines really a bug? The game is "designed" to have a massive amount of torque on command pods, they're just extremely powerful helicopters!)

Well, for the moment, it hasn't gone out of hand yet.

Not many have the patience for 3 days, and even then, i'm sure their score can be beatable.

If, however, things go out of hands, the new rule will be that it has to be thrust driven. Engines (rockets) bringing you up.

I think this challenge should have a deadline. After that best vessels should be shown. It would be interesting to see how others did this challenge. I have 29269 m and I am not inventing any new anymore. That decoupler technology doesn't seem fare (but it is genious).

I think this challenge should have a deadline. After that best vessels should be shown. It would be interesting to see how others did this challenge. I have 29269 m and I am not inventing any new anymore. That decoupler technology doesn't seem fare (but it is genious).

Initially I figured i'd only allow thrust (engine) based "rockets" or planes, using decouplers wouldn't be accepted, but seeing as only 2 people did that, I allowed it. However, if enough agree, we can remove that (i'll add their names in a "Special Achievement" section).

Let me know what you think. I'm inclining towards not including the decoupler entries in the high school, but for now, sure.

Edited by Mars90000000

• 2 weeks later...
I'm inclining towards not including the decoupler entries in the high score, but for now, sure.

FIFY :D

also: I didn't see seperatrons on there...time to find myself more ways to jam more of them onto that frame of a rocket of mine without losing the shape of a rocket. :sticktongue:

Good news everyone! I did something with decouplers so exploitative that they'll have to be banned from the competition!

I give you: Plaid.

lqv8AGX.png

This is what happens when you launch it.

xkDU4e1.png

Look at those numbers.

HG0Tfmo.png

Uh oh.

2vyYYoc.png

Boom.

kaUyFcZ.png

High score?

Z3yj2In.png

I figured this was way too cool to just post here, so I wrote the whole thing up as a mission report, check it out!

Edited by Ninety-Three

Im sure the news report on Kerbin will be a mixed bag for you 93.

"The scientific community rejoiced today as a daring experiment led to the discovery of ultra high speed space travel that will make moving our society to another solar system a reality. Enthusiasm was tempered somewhat by the fact the test craft has split the Mun in 2, wreaking havoc with our tides and weather and we now have to find a way to use the new technology to evacuate Kerbin by lunchtime tomorrow."

Good news everyone! I did something with struts so exploitative that they'll have to be banned from the competition!

I give you: Plaid.

lqv8AGX.png

This is what happens when you launch it.

xkDU4e1.png

Look at those numbers.

HG0Tfmo.png

Uh oh.

2vyYYoc.png

Boom.

kaUyFcZ.png

High score?

Z3yj2In.png

I figured this was way too cool to just post here, so I wrote the whole thing up as a mission report, check it out!

i gues you won, but HOW did you get your speed so high, my speed never passed 2500.0 m/s not even with mods,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.