[Stock] 30 sec Altitude Challenge!

I'm loathe to submit second place, but I'm having a lot of trouble launching my larger design, and I don't have the patience to reset until it works today, so here's a solid second.

XhN5uLY.png

Staging: 120,30,9,3,1

I completely guessed at the numbers to use for fuel left in each stage, but I doubt that optimal performance could take me to first place. For that I'd probably have to get a good launch out of my 288,72,16,4,1 design.

mRAj7Q5.png

29178. I almost want to install MechJeb just so I don't have to deal with altimeter rollover.

gxs9lpi.jpg

do note that this is done solely with Seperatrons...

SHQDLCP.jpg

I do have another another one that uses 45 Mainsails and 4 Rockomax mk 55s (and 16 seperatrons and 4 canards)...

ps. don't bother firing more than 24 seperatrons at a time, it's rather dangerous to everything

edit: a better attempt with the "Total Seperatron"...

sgyQxRG.jpg

Edited by info600
better try

I tried something new, but unfortunately it didn't score that well. The idea was to use just two or three stages of extremely dense sepratrons to get up initial velocity, then jettison a single RCS port (that part has a uniquely, astoundingly low drag) and watch as it flies through the atmosphere without resistance. The principle was sound, and maybe in a version of this challenge scored by weight it would have done well, but it was only coming in around 20,000 m. Having gone bust on my last creative idea, I'm pretty sure 50,000 m is just impossible, barring an actual supercomputer that runs some hundred-thousand part partially-burned sepratron beast. That is, impossible barring the few exploitative ways this thread has already produced (infiniglide, very tall launch clamps). Although speaking of exploitative, I've just had another idea allowable within the rules-as-written that should pass 50k, I should have some screenshots by the evening.

Edited by Ninety-Three

How do you jettison a single RCS port? If I knew how to do that, I might have a crazy idea..

Put a circular decoupler (they vary in how they decouple, so only some will work) on top of your ship, put an RCS thruster on top of that. It's worth noting that switching to a jettisoned RCS port resets the timer to 0 seconds, so remember to count however much time you had on the previous stage too.

I built a stack separator monstrosity (1533 parts) that takes about 15 minutes to load (when it doesn't crash) and launches an Mk2 Cockpit at over 6000 m/s. Result is right at 30km, not quite good enough to take #1... but it can be improved!

I built a stack separator monstrosity (1533 parts) that takes about 15 minutes to load (when it doesn't crash) and launches an Mk2 Cockpit at over 6000 m/s. Result is right at 30km, not quite good enough to take #1... but it can be improved!

Simply put, good sir, pic or it didn't happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.