[Stock] 30 sec Altitude Challenge!

89f7d46d471e432fabd9828.png

First attempt (that stayed stable)

YlNZLPm.png

Second attempt (The separatrons all overheated and I had been slowing down for a while when I hit 30 seconds)

0JynEFL.png

Sixth attempt (3rd, 4th, and 5th didn't beat 2nd)

Edited by Tachy0n

Is it ok to use a plane? One of my planes got 36 231m!

You so sure about that? How are you powering it? If I recall from the Maching Bird challenge, the top speed of a ram jet is currently 2,400m/s.

Also, 36.231 m/s... Thats more than 10 times Kerbin's escape velocity. I'm thinking you may have misread something. Then again, a picture is worth a thousand speculations.

Are you allowed to burn off fuel on the launchpad? I'm thinking that a craft using almost-empty SRB's would be the best thing, as their TWR just becomes ridiculous.

Well, if it's not allowed, we can pretty much scrap the leaderboard!

In all seriousness, though, it's not that easy. Smaller SRB lasts 30 seconds total, and it's thrust isn't that spectacular for about 25 of those seconds. You need to get creative ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I tryed with 1 or more boosters, aerodynamics, liquid engines and the best result is 14000m Idk how can you get 30000m in 30 secounds with stock parts.

14000 is about what you get out of a single garden variety SRB with a probe core strapped to it. My approach for getting crazy altitudes was asparagus-staged Mainsails with 4 tons of fuel each, keeping TWR at a constant value equivalent to one mainsail and its 4 tons of fuel. The approach that the highest-scoring people are using is partially-burned SRBs. Consider a craft with three layers of SRBs, the top layer with 1, the middle layer with 10, and the bottom with 100. At T minus 20, you ignite the lower stage. At T minus 10 you ignite the middle stage. At T-0 you ignite the upper stage, release the docking clamps and take off. Your TWR is mainly set by 100 SRBs which, for 10 seconds, will have between 1/3 and 0 of their fuel left, making them very light and thus, very powerful. At +10 you stage out, dropping the lower layer that has just run out of fuel. Now the middle layer is determining most of your thrust, and its SRBs have ten seconds of life left; you can see where this is going. The actual ships use more stages with less extreme ratios than 10-1, but this should illustrate the principle well enough.

My set up came all down to the staging and spacebar pressing. I think I can still improve it too with some tweaks to the timing. No idea how 30k is even possible though, kudos.

dNSbiWu.jpg

I meant altitude 36 231m, not 36 231m/s.

Yes, but could it be done in under 30 seconds? Here's my attempt:

30secondjets_zpsba1cdc82.png

Around 13,550m on jet engines alone. Had to add the canards because the ASAS just couldn't keep it straight otherwise.

Does this count?

screenshot24.png

screenshot25.png

screenshot26.png

After revising, I give you the (insert device name here):

screenshot27.png

At 30 seconds:

screenshot28 mk2.png

On landing:

screenshot30.png

screenshot31.png

PS, if the pics do not work, tell me. It is my first time posting pictures.

In order to post pictures, you first have to upload them to an image storing website (such as imgur or photobucket, etc). Once it's uploaded, you'll get a direct link to the picture. That link is what you put between the tags.

Still questioning how one validates each entry.

In terms of whether you used cheats or not, I'll just have to trust with not using them. There's no way to verify that you used cheats or mods and what not, but if you do, it'll only remove the fun and excitement of this challenge!

As for the altitude itself, it's on the altitude meter. Yes, when you're flying at >2000 m/s, 1 second makes a lot of difference, so there will be a difference between 30.01 and 30.99 (both of which would show 30 on the MET). So it's up to you to time your screenshot as late as possible but not pass the 31s mark.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.