1st Tylo Landing

Definitely one of the toughest places to land in. Congrats. I'll plan a manned landing when resources come out and I can refuel a lander. Like you, every time I land on Tylo I only have a few drops of fuel left.

Definitely one of the toughest places to land in. Congrats. I'll plan a manned landing when resources come out and I can refuel a lander. Like you, every time I land on Tylo I only have a few drops of fuel left.

My goal was to try to land 3 kerbals on Tylo without refueling along the way. I built the ship to have plenty of fuel to counteract my manual flying. :P Had I used mechjeb I think there would have been at least 500dv left. My aerobraking around Jool wasn't exactly optimum either what with Vall getting in the way. It was a fun mission with only a few F9s on the landing.

Thanks for the responses!

Now try building a single-stage Tylo lander that can also return to orbit safely. (ProTip: it's gonna be huge.)

I doubt my computer could handle a ship that massive. Also, I suck at single stage ships/planes. :P

Now try building a single-stage Tylo lander that can also return to orbit safely. (ProTip: it's gonna be huge.)

Not so huge, i think. clue would be to use an combination of nuclear and standard engines. do deorbit and braking with nuclear, activate chemical for final decent. and turn off shortly after gravity turn.

Tylo terrifies me. I plan to ignore it for all non gravity assist purposes for as long as possible.

A bit like Eve really, but in reverse.

meh, haven't been in Tylo either. and I don't have any plans to go there.

Good work, although no return mission is a bit cruel.

I have no desire to land on Tylo. It looks like every other grey rock in the kerbol system, but is a pain in the neck to land on and return from

Tylo was the last body in the solar system I had yet to land on. I was saving the worst(but most intense) for last. :D

Congrats on the Tylo landing, and I agree it is a hard target to land on safely. Although if you use Kethane and refuel on the surface, it does make it a little easier getting back off it.

Here's hoping that they landed on a Kethane deposit so I can mount an easier rescue mission. I guess I'll send a kethane scanner probe to Tylo tonight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.