Show off your flags MEGATHREAD

geb

Thank you, Archer! :D (also, nice sig)

So. Do flags -have- to be 256x160? I would hope (assume even) that the engine should have no problems scaling an image down so long as it has the same aspect ratio (and is power-of-two). Might have to play with that...

Obviously you don't want to go crazy, but 256x160 seems crazy-small for a texture that should only exist in RAM once!

EDIT: have another! (source)

welcome-to-youre-doom_256x160.png

Edited by draeath
adding a new flag

Thank you, Archer! :D (also, nice sig)

So. Do flags -have- to be 256x160? I would hope (assume even) that the engine should have no problems scaling an image down so long as it has the same aspect ratio (and is power-of-two). Might have to play with that...

Obviously you don't want to go crazy, but 256x160 seems crazy-small for a texture that should only exist in RAM once!

EDIT: have another! (source)

welcome-to-youre-doom_256x160.png

YES YES YES. Whilst you're at it, can you get Cat Party on my phone?

edit: I vaguely remember the devs saying that it had to be that dimension, but hey, it's surely worth playing about with. But then again, the benefit of getting the game to scale it down vs doing it yourself are negligible..

Edited by allmappedout

:D

Parts can define a surface to render the flag on. That part might be much larger than you usually see the flag drawn on. Sure, it will be mipmapped, but raising the texture resolution can help you keep crisp lines.

Here is the flag for my space agency, Kerbal Rocket And Space Headquarters (KRASH):

KRASHflag2_zpsb464ca7a.png

It used to have a black star field background, it looked nice as a picture but that didn't work so well in the game. So I went with the gray "static" background because I imagine that's what the viewers at home would be seeing after that "landing". :cool:

goodnews.jpg

Great news everyone!

The game accepts images larger than 256x160 without any issue.

I selected and used a flag that was 800x500 (which is the same aspect ratio of 256x160 - in other words, 8:5) and it was both selectable and it displayed at the space center!

goodnews.jpg

Great news everyone!

The game accepts images larger than 256x160 without any issue.

I selected and used a flag that was 800x500 (which is the same aspect ratio of 256x160 - in other words, 8:5) and it was both selectable and it displayed at the space center!

Did you end up with a larger flag, or did it scale down to 256x160?

I think I will be using the thing in my signature as my latest flag. Too bad flags in-game are only one sided (meaning texts will flip on the other side). Or maybe my current avatar...

Whoever will guess the sources correctly first will get a cookie :D

*your

.gif

No, really?

That's the point.

Did you end up with a larger flag, or did it scale down to 256x160?

It's the same physical size, but I'd put money down that it looks crisper up-close (or if/when you see flags on parts they will look nicer)

I've not planted a flag yet, so I can only go from the flagpole at the space center (which is distant, so it's not clear at all anyway)

Edited by draeath
additional

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.