Any one disappointed with rover parts?

wooaa

I am. I find them very slow. the fastest rover I made can get up to about 20m/s. Using ion engnes and landing gears i could get up to 40m/s. Also it is next to imposable to stay straight. on the mun my rover allways skids one direction or another even if i am going at a snailes pace. in closing i dont like the rover parts because i could make better rovers before the update.

No, I love the rover parts!:D

EDIT: that your rover is flipping over or something, Is called physics. make the rover wheels at a really large width, keep the center of mass low and in the middle, and you should flip over hard. :)

Going faster than 20m/s tend to either shake the rover apart on high gravity worlds or get you airborne pretty fast on low gravity worlds unless you are careful.

But yes getting symmetric wheels can be an pain.

You can go faster at your own risk, They are rover wheels, not car wheels. if you want to build a dragster you'll have to stick to the old landing gear. 20 m/s is 10 miles an hour, much faster then any NASA rover I know of.

It's 72 Km/h.(about 45miles) Not sure where 10 miles (16km) came from.

(20 X 60 X 60) / 1000 = ?

(Then convert to miles, if that's the way you roll.)

If you look the steering on your back wheels, skidding will be reduced.

Edit: Ninja'd

I like them. You can still use a plane wheels + ion engine set up if you want. It's heavier, but may be what you want.

Edited by Tw1

Even 20m/s is fast considering the environment, also for steering make sure you are driving in docking mode, it really helps reduce flipping and other torque related nasty accidents.

As a relatively new player I have found my first foray into small robot rovers to be a tad bit awkward to control, some of it I know / think is down to the design (made some changes already that did help handling) but I did also find using Docking Mode and / or turning SAS on (even without a module) helped me better control mine. And as has been mentioned the lower gravity is also a factor because something that works fine on Kerbin can flip or slide horribly on Mun, but the only way you'll know is to actually get it there for testing.

Something I also wondered about is, does the location of the probe control box thing affect how the rover drives? Not just from a weight perspective but also I want to saw "the way the probe's torque affects how the rover moves / rotates", maybe like the probe box acts as the pivot point for the rover so having it low and central provides better control than having it on the noise / tail (even if it's balanced right). If that makes sense and even forms a reasonable question :).

You are in outer space, usually in death pressure and you do NOT want a spill in those conditions... A tiny pinprick in your suit can lead to death. Crashing your rover at F1 speeds is going to end in death for sure.

So nope... Not dissatisfied at all. Would be nice to have some mesh wheels like the Lunar Rover though. Don't like the brown ones. Should be like this...

Apollo15LunarRover.jpg

Oh yeah, and is it me or is that rover giving us the finger?

The "rovers are too slow" bit has been done to death by now since they got released. People simply don't realize how fast rovers in real life go and how fast 20 m/s is (multiply by 3,6 to get a value in km/h, divide by 1,6 after that to get a value in mph). Also they don't appreciate how less lethal driving in a thick atmosphere and fairly high gravity environment is. When you realize that you realize that going 40 m/s on Duna with a pre-0.19 stock rover was as dangerous as it should have been, especially if your tried dodging the scatter rocks (I know they don't have a collision mesh, wonder if they ever will).

With that said if you want to go very fast use the landing gear and rocket/jet engines. Also always remember to keep your center of mass low. The higher it is the easier it is for your rover to start rolling uncontrollably during a turn. And that's something you want to avoid, usually.

is there any way to keep a rover accelerating without mashing the W key?

Alt + W key will set your trim which holds acceleration as far as I know, you can disable it with Alt + X.

What dissapoints me is the lack of cruise control and how easily they break. The modular wheels were just more useable for me since with a stable rover design i could just leave it on cruise control for hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.