How often do you Quicksave?

Jokurr

When I first started playing I didn’t realize this function was there, so when a mission went bad, that was it. My first two attempts to land on the Mun had to be restarted from the beginning since I crashed the lander into the surface. No reloading before I make the final approach, time to head back to the launchpad at KSC.

Since then I’ve discovered the quicksave function, but now I think I rely on it too much. I used it a few times with my first manned landing on Duna for example. On one hand it’s nice that I don’t have to restart that long voyage from scratch, but I also feel that reloading is almost “cheating†and the feeling of accomplishment when I finally do land isn’t as strong. I feel I would be more proud of my achievements if I didn’t quicksave in order to get there, but at the same time I don’t want to go all the way to a far away planet only to have a lander bounce a little too hard on the final landing approach and flip over, rendering it unusable :).

How often do others rely on quicksave?

before I do any major event that could lead to mission failure. ex - burns to other planets, attempted landings, etc...

edit: I don't consider it cheating, NASA has massive computing power to ensure things go smooth, in KSP most things you have to "wing it" so I don't feel bad

I always forget, so it is pretty rare for me to quicksave. It is also rare for me to mess up, or for the physics to wack out, other wise I would probably remember to save. Good example is how Skyrim crashes all the time and I die a lot since i'm on a crazy difficulty, so I quick save constantly.

Course I am not saying KSP isn't hard enough, it's just once I know how to do something, it only takes me once, from there I can usually do it, with ease.

I try to quicksave after I have completed something that was hardish and likely to crash the program (not the game). Oh and I ALWAYS without fail quicksave before docking because even though I dock perfectly I occasionally get that bug where the whole thing just impodes right after the moment of docking, even with SAS off and a really low speed contact.

It really depends on the mission and the craft. I did a mothership to jool mission where I quicksaved before every maneuver because I didn't have enough confidence in my redesign (during testing the mothership managed to shake parts off). At the other extreme, I've done moon landing and returns without ever quicksaving. My normal level is to quicksave after an SoI change.

At important moments, like before a landing, or anything that would endanger the mission.

That makes each failure a "simulation", a test of the design.

Btw, there is no point quicksaving before launching from the KSC launchpad, the game does that automatically. Launching on a different planet is a complete other matter..

Never, but only because I've never gotten it to work on my Mac. I can quick save but my quickload doesn't work even if I enable function keys. As a result, my space program operates on a much more realistic schedule of testing individual ships in order to minimize risk on more complicated missions.

It really depends on the mission and the craft. I did a mothership to jool mission where I quicksaved before every maneuver because I didn't have enough confidence in my redesign (during testing the mothership managed to shake parts off). At the other extreme, I've done moon landing and returns without ever quicksaving. My normal level is to quicksave after an SoI change.

Same for me

I don't. I play a sort of self-imposed "iron man", and will not use quick-save or anything of that sort -- if I screw up a mission it's failed, oh well, on to the next. Sucks when the Kraken attacks and there's nothing I can do but watch the cascading explosions, but then again Apollo 13 didn't have quicksave either...

When I start doing more complex, manned missions I'll start using a "simulation" save, and there I probably will use quicksave now and again. But never in the "real deal".

I Quicksave before Aerobreaking around any body that i do not plan to land on. Other than that, Any other time the errors are my own and i must live with them. Nasa has teams of people to figure out optimal aerobreaking I have to wing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.