[v1.2]KSP - Silisko Edition

NovaSilisko

Here\'s some suggestions:

1: I\'m not especially a fan of the rebalanced lander engne, but I have a possible solution:

Currently, it\'s got a thrust of 50, which is massively overkill for landing on or taking off from the Mun with a simple lander. I\'d suggest a thrust of 25, and a consumption of .5-.55

I agree with this. With consumption at 1.5, it takes 150 fuel to land a basic lander and at least 150 to get back to kerbin, which makes it a bad match for the the 100 tanks in the pack. You need 3 of them to land on kerbin and return, which makes a ltall lander and alse makes a staged lander impractical.

I think lower thrust and lower consumption would balance better.

So use a different pack. :P

Agree. I use Silisko Edition to see how refined and efficient I can get a given design. Working with strict limits is fun.

EDIT: for what it\'s worth, below is my favorite Mun rocket, Maxwell. It uses one of the small RCS linear tanks and seven of the radial ones. Typically the first linear RCS tanks is just slightly more than drained by the time I jettison the stage it\'s on. Actually, I could almost certainly remove a couple of the middle-stage radial tanks.

It\'s just barely enough fuel to land on the Mun and return. Previous design iterations had more spare delta-v, but once I realized it was spare, I trimmed down the design. A successful mission requires careful flying to not waste fuel.

That\'s the way I like it.

Fmcgv.png

@NS

I\'m experiencing problems with landing on the Mun using your parts. My lander veers all over the place while trying to slow it down. SAS trying to keep the craft straight up, but the moment I turn up the engine it starts to tilt until it\'s just spinning and falling. Does this with gimballing on and off. Any ideas?

@NS

I\'m experiencing problems with landing on the Mun using your parts. My lander veers all over the place while trying to slow it down. SAS trying to keep the craft straight up, but the moment I turn up the engine it starts to tilt until it\'s just spinning and falling. Does this with gimballing on and off. Any ideas?

I\'ve not had that problem-if you post a picture of your lander, it might help with narrowing down the problem.

Also, are you using X1 or X2?

Hey Nova, I\'ve been using your pack for about 2 days now and can only use the MK2 pod and the MK3 pod. Any others crash when I time warp above 2X. I will post system specs below.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name COLBY-0508F7CBA

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

System Model HP Compaq dc5100 SFF(AG140UA)

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 786C2 v01.07, 8/25/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = '5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)'

User Name COLBY-0508F7CBA\colby

Time Zone Central Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 2,560.50 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.27 GB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 4.85 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Sadly, KSP just freezes up instead of giving me a crash report. This bug has happened in 11 X1 as well.

@NS

If the lander is of sufficient size gimballing WILL make it fly all over the place. I\'ve used big gimballing engines on my rockets and it makes them flop all over the place no matter how many struts I use.

Is it just me or do large ships wobble a lot in the atmosphere? If its not me, Is there any way to fix it? A picture of my rocket or .craft file is available upon request.

I thought this was just me but mine wobble on the launch pad since 0.12x2

Nova, the pack is nice, but higher power parts would be great. I\'m trying to get to the Mun with a decently sized rocket, and its all I can do to achieve a stable orbit. On the other hand, I may just be doing it wrong. Can\'t tell.

Unfortunately, like the stock parts, the thrust to weight ratios are pretty low (on purpose, to make it difficult) so the big stages are not good for lifting payload (or upper stages)

So you have to fall back on the same 'strategies' you do with stock to build lifters, lots of parallel engines or boosters. Unfortunately, the low fuel efficiency combined with relatively small tanks makes a long, slow burn climb does not work in this pack, the tank stack required for a long burn gets too heavy.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this was for Inglonias + others having trouble getting a working Silisko design.

Try my Munar III, attached.

1. Launch the boosters.

2. Jettison the bottom boosters.

3. Activate the next stage of boosters.

4. Jettison the ones on the side which have a longer burn time.

5. Jettison the remaining boosters.

6. Use the heavier engines to get you up and begin to create an orbit.

7. Use the next lighter stage to create a highly elliptical rendezvous orbit and meet up with the Mun, slow yourself right down horizontally so you\'re falling straight to the Mun, use any spare fuel to brake, then jettison and use the lander\'s little engine to come to a stop on the surface. (Sounds difficult, after 1 or 2 tries you\'ll be able to do it with a 99% success rate, believe me.)

8. Roll around or sutin. Talk to the Muntians. Whatever. Use some RCS, but not ALL of it...

9. Get yourself back in a circular orbit, then do the same as in 7, create a bit of an elliptical orbit out from the Mun. Chances are when Kerbin picks you up you\'ll be in a massive circular orbit again. (Remember, you are moving at the speed the Mun is!) Use remaining fuel and RCS to drop the speed. When I was out there I was only at a few hundred m/s, in a slightly wonky and elliptical orbit. It takes little to no fuel to drop your orbital speed low enough to hit Kerbin.

10. Remember to get rid of the lander stage here at some point!

11. And activate parachute!

12. Landed.

Munar IV will support parachute landing of the pod back on Kerbin.

It would be useful to have a non-gimballing 1m engine of medium power - as far as I can see only the smallest 1m engine and the largest 2m example are non-vectored.

Finally managed to get to the Mun just now - unfortunately all I had left was RCS, which was not enough delta-V to slow down for a controlled landing. Impact at about 500m/s horizontal...

Most of the engines in this pack has thrust levels well beyond what the vanilla parts have. You\'re just doing it wrong.

That\'s the point of this pack, to get rid of ridiculously large, annoying ships that require you to steer them every 2 seconds.

Might need an update due to x3 changing gimballing again. At least the upper stage engine got very restless on my rocket, gimballing madly back and forth, almost tearing everything apart (when using ASAS)

Unfortunately, like the stock parts, the thrust to weight ratios are pretty low (on purpose, to make it difficult) so the big stages are not good for lifting payload (or upper stages)

The thrust to weight ratios on most of the engines are very good.

LV-T600: 81

LV-B20: 101

LV-T300: 122

Large Bertha: 203

For comparison:

Vanilla Engine: 10

Space Shuttle Main Engine: 73

F-1(Saturn V engine): 94

NK-33(N-1 engine): 137

So you have to fall back on the same 'strategies' you do with stock to build lifters, lots of parallel engines or boosters.

This gets to munar orbit.

VwDoz.png

Unfortunately, the low fuel efficiency combined with relatively small tanks makes a long, slow burn climb does not work in this pack, the tank stack required for a long burn gets too heavy.

The \'long slow burn\' method only works in vanilla because the liquid engine has an insane ISP of 500+. Whereas the engines in this mod are at a much more realistic 250-350.