NovaSilisko

Changelog so far:

Added experiment racks

Added micro RCS tanks

Added second, completely unfinished service module

Tweaked RCS unit and fuel weight

Reduced decoupler weight

Shortened stack decoupler.

Pressurised fuel tank now holds 100 units of fuel, and weighs 1.05 units.

SRBs now more capable of overheating

ASAS made useful

Hey, Nova, you should only add gimballing to the weaker engines, so that people are encouraged to use winglets in the atmosphere with their powerful launch vehicles.

The big 2m engine and the lander engine have no gimbaling prepared. Both normal 1m engines are ready for it. I may make a special gimballed SRB sometime.

Hey, Nova, you should only add gimballing to the weaker engines, so that people are encouraged to use winglets in the atmosphere with their powerful launch vehicles.

Yeah except the winglets are useless once you break about 20km, and I don\'t know too many main stages that don\'t go past that altitude.

So you either burn RCS fuel then, or your rocker rolls over like a whale.

Tangentially; I think you made the default RCS tank have too little volume - its pretty much useless since the game requires so much 'correction' even in space - I estimate that a typical munrocket will require 300 to 400 units of RCS.

Huh. I\'m using very very little RCS fuel on ascent. Even on full flight I usually return home with mostly full tanks. If it looks like it will be an issue, I just add a normal tank to a lower stage.

Although, I usually fly without much SAS. If I do, it\'s usually when winglets work.

Um, exactly how are you maintaining attitude in space then? Are you still relying on normal SAS? Without them you use TONS of RCS to keep from needless tumbling. And once you leave the lowest part of the atmosphere, you\'re 100% reliant on RCS anyway.

Attached pics of my rocket

That big 2meter engine is a hungry devil, the 3 tanks in the base stage get me an Apoapsis of about 90km, then the 2nd 2m stage gets it circularized and gets me about half of the deltaV needed for munar burn. That leaves the main mun-ship inside the shroud for everything else, and I\'d like my guys to get back home.

Those 2 service modules inside the shroud are empty when I separate, so there\'s no extra fuel in there.

That big 2meter engine is a hungry devil, the 3 tanks in the base stage get me an Apoapsis of about 90km, then the 2nd 2m stage gets it circularized and gets me about half of the deltaV needed for munar burn. That leaves the main mun-ship inside the shroud for everything else, and I\'d like my guys to get back home.

Those 2 service modules inside the shroud are empty when I separate, so there\'s no extra fuel in there.

You see, I can reach the mun using very little. One LFT, upper stage engine, 5 LFTs, normal engine with two strapon liquid boosters of the same dimension is enough to propel a craft to lunar orbit.

Still, I can decrease RCS fuel consumption I guess.

Seems like that would get your empty tanks and command pod into orbit, but if you wanna bring a lander and return vehicle, I find it pretty odd not to use the 2m launcher stage - why else is it there?

Don\'t think you need to reduce the RCS consumption, just bump the small RCS tank up from 25 to 50 or 60, its not THAT much smaller than the service module, and 2 of them stacked should equal if not surpass the service module in volume.

Also wouldn\'t mind a small 2M RCS tank that holds 100units as well, just so I could stage them normally instead of like they are now.

I always have tons more RCS than I need...

The Golgathrust block have pretty ridiculous fuel consumption, and are only really useful for 20-50km on a large rocket stack. Also, tiberion, RCS blocks are most effective when placed at opposite ends of a stack. Blocks in the middle don\'t create much of a turning moment, and just waste fuel.

If it were me I\'d decrease the fuel in the service module to 75... to me, SE seems to be about encouraging efficient design.

I always have tons more RCS than I need...

The Golgathrust block have pretty ridiculous fuel consumption, and are only really useful for 20-50km on a large rocket stack. Also, tiberion, RCS blocks are most effective when placed at opposite ends of a stack. Blocks in the middle don\'t create much of a turning moment, and just waste fuel.

If it were me I\'d decrease the fuel in the service module to 75... to me, SE seems to be about encouraging efficient design.

Heh, take a closer look at my staging, they\'re set up right. If I could make only certain RCS fire, I would.

Edit: whoops, I took a closer look at my screenshot, it wasn\'t current - that was fresh after I had expanded to a 2nd 2m stage.

Reducing the SM to 75 would be fine, if he gives us other tanks for the lower stages. Though everything that goes in the upper stages need a serious rework on size, since any functional top stage aiming to do anything beyond just get in orbit and park is just stupid-long. We need parts collapsed into proper Apollo/Soyuz sized ships. But thats not just Nova\'s problem, but the whole game currently.