What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I was having bad times with reentering my sstos after 1.05, today i got an idea;

All moving wing brakes. Plane is also ssto, but it has only enough fuel to orbit and come back, not enough for travelling more. Anyway this was only a prototype for my idea.

LgX6Vj.jpg

Nothing as glamorous/innovative/crazed as others on here.....  spent the last couple of days taking up enough tourists to put on a Busby Berkley musical. On the bright side I managed to get into orbit without turning on forgetting SAS so my ham fisted flying may be improving... or maybe I actually managed to build a proper rocket.

The funds were plowed into Project Paparazzi to get a telescope into orbit with a lab to make that science go further.

screenshot50_zpsurfaus8b.png

Edited by dangerhamster

Crislina and Jane, reporting in from Unda  da Sea 1. Situation normal. 

url]pTkivdB.png

Underwater exploration?

Earlier:

vsGin0b.png

Even Earlier:

Stable. Looks like I've got this new buoyancy thing nutted out. 

3o13WD4.png

Crislina: "Um, I'm getting some turbulence, in the water?"

(Image from a later replication.)

i00SiqL.gif

She came flying out of the seat, and hit the water. Then, for some reason, she decided to sink.

6Uxez53.png

Naturally, I dispatched a second vessel to investigate the anomaly. 

RyBVR4X.png

Kerbals from that one sank too, even after I made sure to clear any possible hyperedit  changes. 

I have accidentally a sea base. 

The game was a bit borked when I returned to KSC, so I don't expect it to last. 

I used the metals that I produced on the Mun to build an even bigger megastructure in space...

The new orbital Shipyard Mk II, still attached to its predecessor with the large Metal hauler at the bottom...

w6jdCaC.jpg

The new Shipyard weights more than 3,000 tons empty and more than 12,000 tons when fully loaded. With four extraplanetary launchpads it offers enough flexibility for multiple simultaneous construction projects. The massive, 20 meters wide storage area can hold enough Rocket Parts to start creation of the Death Star next...

At6e7Im.jpg

Tested Hullcam VDS' zoom feature.

Here is a picture of Mars, taken at max zoom from Earth orbit:

BiCC47r.png

Picture taken using this satellite:

ui8pZZJ.png

Picture of the same side of Mars at max zoom in the tracking station:

Spoiler

ql5U9sm.png

It is a shame planets don't seem to appear past a certain distance: I could observe Mercury's dark side, but Venus (in superior conjunction) did not appear, neither did the other planets.

Also, I lost a Kerbal during a small crew shuttle reentry because electric charge ran out: I couldn't keep an AoA anymore, so the cockpit overheated... ;.; Interesting fact: the other Kerbal made it back to Earth alive.

And made another shuttle, this time launched strapped to the side of a big tank, like the STS, that worked surprisingly well. Only minor tweaks were required to make it able to orbit itself.

Edited by Gaarst

Finally launched my first real sun-station. Enough room for 5, enough greenhouse production to double supply life for four, but only sending up a single russkie Kerman. Those 1900 supplies ouch to last him a few years...

Edited by Venusgate

Learned the hard way to select control from here on the pod after docking the Moho lander with the return stage. Also learned not to start a maneuver node and take a break. Upon return Jeb was going 180 degrees the wrong way. Took 4 kerbal years and infinite fuel to fix the mess. Made it back to Kerbin SOI and proceeded to slam into the atmosphere. Someone can't aim. It was a beautiful explosion.

Haven't had much time over the last two weeks, but I did manage to launch that ten-mission rocket. Three satellite contracts (Kerbin at about Mun level, somewhat eccentric Mun, and tundra Minmus), two LKO rescue contracts, two parts tests, Explore Minmus, LKO tourism contract with two tourists, and finally a science from space around Kerbin. Let's get to it.

2v2KFH.png

Aulpex.png

Drop tanks on the SRBs run dry just before the SRBs themselves. The Reliants' tanks feed into the central core with its Swivel, and everything works out, with a little tweaking of throttle and thrust limiters.

Fdtgt8.png

BMMWMf.png

This still has a bit of fuel left in the core after circularising. I quicksaved here, and after one particular disaster, ended up having to do almost everything that follows twice.

XpjiIQ.png

gtz90S.png

The ant was an experimental part, as was the 0.625m decoupler. The probe portion went off to Mun first, as one of the parts tests was in Mun orbit. Meanwhile, the tourists began to set up a rendezvous with the first of our rescuees.

CxRABg.png

bsF8Rp.png

The first rescuee encounter was before the probe reached Mun, and the second was after the probe escaped Mun, having finished its jobs there. Next was the tough part, the one that had caused the disaster: re-entry.

Fb142g.png

zB7EFv.png

This thing isn't safe, really. It's not well-suited to re-entry at all. The first time, both the crew capsules containing rescuees exploded from the heat, which also happened to take the parachutes away from the poor, doomed tourists. The second time around, I made a quicksave before attempting the descent, and still ran into a couple of failures. Finally, I lowered periapse to about 60km, then periodically burned radially to lower my apoapse and keep the descent from being too steep. Once things were really heating up, I started burning retrograde. Even this and some wild flailing to try and spread the heat out didn't save the probe core and its attached 'chute.

zzWpwI.png

hLb9No.png

Fortunately, the remaining parachutes (and a little thrust to soften it) were about enough for a safe landing. Everybody lives! Despite the best efforts of the designer of this deathtrap. (Or rather, my own negligence wrt designing a safe re-entry vehicle.) This landing completed four of the ten missions, the other six are for the probe.

HiXzEK.png

6aQUFX.png

I didn't get footage of the actual mission completion parts of the probe's mission. However, it got orbit at Mun, matched inclination with the target orbit, then tested the decoupler. Once the decoupler had been tested, I ran into a small issue: my only control node was pointing the wrong way, and it had taken until the decoupler was loosed for the game to realise this. However, I worked around this and matched the required orbit, then escaped Mun in such a way that I would then be escaping Kerbin, too. Once in Kerbin's SoI on an escape trajectory, I tested the Ant, switched to perform the second rendezvous with the rescue mission, then matched inclinations with Minmus, and put my apoapse at Minmus orbit. This was a little awkward with a backward control node...

Anyway, I am now waiting to reach the apoapse, where I'll raise my periapse enough to encounter Minmus on the next pass.

jjxmSC.png

MBSyIv.png

In the mean time, this pair of tourists wanted to join the 44-mile-high club with an orbital journey, so I built a little something for them. They had a slightly under-soft landing, but everything but the engine survived, so it's fine.

Edited by Concentric

I finally started adding to my station in Low Kerbin Orbit.  On my first build mission, I forgot the KIS drills...  I'm currently launching a mission to supply drills to the station...

EDITED

I just prevented disaster by getting my drill supply ship up there.

Edited by Guest

Launched my second mission to Moho... ever. First one was way back in the low 0.20s, somewhere. All I remember was that it packed a mapping radar from SCANSat, and that the next version of KSP came out before I could finish mapping Moho.

This mission's a little different. It's a simple fry-by to take a peek at Moho again and see if it's even worth doing further missions there. If this probe blows up from overheat, well, that's a tough break. I'll launch a new one at the next window and try again. if it somehow survives, but I feel it's not worth revisiting later, then I'll be done and can say that I visited Moho. :wink: