What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Val enters Eve's atmosphere. At night. Because the orbit and fuel situation required it if we wanted to land on...land

screenshot645_zpsqbw2anzp.png

Val was able to plant a flag(which later the lander slid over and destroyed) and get the science.

screenshot654_zpsv2mx7qtd.png

After much dodging around the lander and trying to "climb out" from the ladders on to the platforms, Val is finally able to get on board and leave. Starting with this:

screenshot659_zpsr1moy4nh.png

and ending up in orbit with this:

screenshot668_zpswxlr2dqa.png

I finally got a flag on Eve and a Kebal back into orbit to tell the tale.

Edited by N_Danger

Couple random things lately, first built a small helicopter:

WrgbKMT.jpg

Then proceeded to built a big airship capable of carrying around some kerbals, a science lab, and a rover.  After many failures, finally got it balanced out to the point where I can make it to the Island Airfield, and be able to deploy and recover the rover without issue.

EwohpNp.jpg

4c5WdWq.jpg

I launched the analogues for Zarya, Unity, and Destiny for the KSS space station (I departed from IRL sequence and launched Zvezda before Zarya; it just made things a little easier from my standpoint) and they have successfully linked up.  I also redesigned the main solar truss and a 'transport' capsule to shuttle Kerbals to and from KSS (a Mk 1-3 atop a Mk 2 lander can, which is the lowest-profile arrangement I can think of to transport five Kerbals*).  Next step is to launch the Harmony analogue, and then begin on the trusswork; I haven't quite figured out the best way to get the truss segments on orbit quite yet.

* On a 2.5m diameter, that is.

Edited by MaxwellsDemon
Footnote

Transfer opened to Duna, so off they went. Usually would just put everything else off and warp right there, but I think I will clean up my mission list and make some money for a trip to the Jool system, likely unmanned but with Juno arriving recently, I'm motivated to go there lol. Unclear to me how com sat networks work, but the idea of them I have is That they will allow for better communication from further places if you have them set up between kerbin and your destination. If someone could pm me or explain it to the group, would be much appreciated! 

With the ship Oretrain safely on a Kerbin intercept trajectory from last night, I decided to launch an X7 SSTO shuttle. Payload area is a single large bay, so things are a bit cramped. Objective is to refuel in LKO then set course for Duna when the transfer window comes up. The X7 is robust enough to aerobrake at Duna and safely deliver the payload to Ike orbit to upgrade the active space station there and breath some new life into the abandoned space station also in Ike orbit.

Once LKO was achieved, the payload was tested. The first module would not dislodge, but it looked as though if the second one were released, both would come free... but there would be zero chance of getting them back in place for the transfer to Duna. The crew decided "it'll be alright on the night" and re-closed the cargo bay doors. Intercept check with space station approx. 5 orbits time.

It became apparent, however, that fuel reserves in LKO would be insufficient to refuel the rocket fuel tanks of the X7. I therefore scoped out reserves further afield... Restitution Station in Munar orbit has plenty, but I deemed it unlikely the X7 would get there with the fuel available to it. Then I remembered the listing chunk of ship I renamed "Half Miner" after the Excellent Explosion in Munar orbit. I switched via to check it out... plenty of fuel, a cupola from which to control it and 2 working poodle engines. Downside? Terrible asymmetry due to 1/3 of the ship having exploded! A pilot will be dispatched from Restitution Station aboard the Munar lander ship to take control of Half Miner and attempt to bring it down into LKO. That'll be a job for tomorrow though... before then I need to work out how the heck I'm going to get Half Miner docked when it gets to LKO!

Space-y dreams, everyone :-)

I upgraded my tracking station and tracked my first asteroid:

this-wont-end-well.jpg

Uh...  That's...  Not good.

Then I tracked a bunch more to make sure it wasn't a mistake or misunderstanding.  Nope.  Sucker goes straight INTO the planet in less than a year.  A nice class-C, too.  This could be awesome or hilarious.

8 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

I upgraded my tracking station and tracked my first asteroid:

this-wont-end-well.jpg

Uh...  That's...  Not good.

Then I tracked a bunch more to make sure it wasn't a mistake or misunderstanding.  Nope.  Sucker goes straight INTO the planet in less than a year.  A nice class-C, too.  This could be awesome or hilarious.

Intercept it and redirect, then put into orbit. 

Mid-day update:  got the KSS Harmony-analogue module started in the build queue, as well as the orbital construction tug (which will be vital during the truss construction); also realized I need to have an engineer standing by to repair wheels once I "launch" the transporter for the jet fuel tanks, since most of them blow upon start of physics...

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

Haven't been playing for like 2 years, recently got a new computer and wanted to get back in. First landing on the Mun in Career! Underestimated the amount of fuel need to land and get back, and then I forgot to turn off the engines for the flag planting (which was the contract, so at least I got that.)

Next contract to land on the moon I'll try to pick her up.

ahxvSab.png

So I just successfully tested my new semi-reusable Crew Transport System, or CTS for short. The It consists of an orbiter with two solid rocket boosters strapped onto the end of each wing. The orbiter is 1.25 meters in diameter and is symmetrical both vertically and horizontally, to reduce aerodynamic problems. It has one main engine (an LV-T45 "Swivel") and 4 orbital maneuvering engines (O-10 "Puffs"). The SRB's are S1 SRB-KD25 "Kickbacks" The first flight was a success (YAY! :D) and the orbiter (named Skyhawk) acheived a 78 x 80 kilometer orbit around Kerbin. I plan on using the new CTS to deliver crew to my space station and maybe rendezvous with incoming vessels originating from the Mun or Minmus. I have yet to try reentry though...

Did I mention nothing exploded on the way to orbit? :sticktongue:

Playing on PS4, been getting used to things and learning the ropes. Decided I'd learn better in Career mode, so I've been really having to learnhow to make things work with limited funds and parts. I'm currently in orbit around the Mun for the first time, in a ship I'm sure would make the trip to and from Minun. I just ended up with an intercept on the Mun, and figured I'd go for broke. 

Going to review landing procedure in the tutorial, then go for my first Mun landing (outside the tutorial).

I would have shot for Minun, but I'm not sure how to line myself up with it to get a nice intercept. That will be my next mission. Anyone have tips?

4 hours ago, Lich180 said:

Playing on PS4, been getting used to things and learning the ropes...

I would have shot for Minun, but I'm not sure how to line myself up with it to get a nice intercept. That will be my next mission. Anyone have tips?

Welcome to the game!

If you're starting from an orbit around Kerbin, then getting an intercept to Minmus is going to be a lot easier if you change your inclination to match Minmus's. 

Or if you're not yet in orbit, then launch your rocket and get into orbit facing 'east' away from KSC.

To match your inclination to Minmus's:
You select Minmus as your target, then do a burn at the ascending or descending node (where the two planes intersect- i.e. your current plane and the target's plane) until your inclination matches. The ascending and descending nodes are marked with a little blue tag in the map view. This burn is at a 90ish degree angle (this heading is called anti-normal or normal) to the angle in which you are travelling in orbit, and 'twists' the orbit onto a different plane. Note: Mun is easier in the sense that it's plane is the same as an equatorial orbit of Kerbin (90 degrees).
More: see here

Enjoy!

Playing my Kerbal Construction Time modded game with some visual mods and I am having a blast after ~3 years away from the game.

And lo and behold I saw a beautiful lunar eclipse.

Edited by Cresilia

Brought the Minmus lander down to gather some science, then re-docked with Minumus Station One and tossed the science into the science bay.  Worked on a rover to go rescue Mogee from the surface of the Mun (landing struts gave a bit too much on landing a blew up the engine).  Will also be constructing a new Mun lander for Mun Orbital Station (Will likely be doing a variation on the Minmus lander), also need to construct a huge refueler to refuel the five stations I have orbiting Kerbin, Mun and Minmus.

Launched Horus 19 to the Mun in pursuit of an anomaly contract, and the Isis 19 lander managed to come down almost on top of the anomaly (a monolith) on the first try!  Kudos to Juliame Kerman, the pilot...  The team is waiting for daylight before beginning their explorations.  In the meantime, another supply capsule was sent on its way to Space Station Alpha and is being held in a parking orbit while the old one is jettisoned.  Communications contact was lost (i.e., a game crash) before anything more had been accomplished, but we'll pick it back up again soon.

9 hours ago, Cresilia said:

Playing my Kerbal Construction Time modded game with some visual mods and I am having a blast after ~3 years away from the game.

And lo and behold I saw a beautiful lunar eclipse.

Realized I am dumb and couldn't post an image, so here we go

UbGHw29.png