What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 hours ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

That rocket is gigantic. What is that even for? :0.0:

17 hours ago, String Witch said:

The fairing is empty there as a test of stability. It's being designed to put up these kinds of spacecraft, probably dry and packed up in pieces for handling at an orbital shipyard. The dimensions on the top image are actually pretty close to what I'm aiming for.

e8d27220f7.jpg

32196de26a.jpg

Turns out I'm having more fun just gunning straight for these kinds of projects in sandbox than building up toward it in science or career.

There are videos of similar missions you can find on YouTube: "Flags and Footprints on Venus in RSS" by maccollo, and "Astra: First Journey Beyond Kerbin SOI" by ZZZ.

Hello Kerbalites, Kernalotes and Kerbaloutes in your Kerbaloutes suits.

Today I wanted to see if I could get science from under water on Kerbin.

Started modestly.

fGLOIow.png
But you just can't sink those labs.
My final results.
MBvHHWN.png

Went down to 240M. Still on shore biome. Solar panels getting useless. Barely moving forward and down.
Recovered the darn thing and called it "Idea Tested".

Then I went to space and broke the game.
9sLDtHz.png
VycSg4Q.png

Time to do yard work I guess.

ME

14 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hello Kerbalites, Kernalotes and Kerbaloutes in your Kerbaloutes suits.

Today I wanted to see if I could get science from under water on Kerbin.

Started modestly.

fGLOIow.png
But you just can't sink those labs.
My final results.
MBvHHWN.png

Went down to 240M. Still on shore biome. Solar panels getting useless. Barely moving forward and down.
Recovered the darn thing and called it "Idea Tested".

Then I went to space and broke the game.
9sLDtHz.png
VycSg4Q.png

Time to do yard work I guess.

ME

Somehow all your normals are flipped in Unity Engine. That just shouldn't happen.

Managed to get the Duneshifter into orbit with 700 m/s delta-v to spare! :D

Duneshifter_Orbit.png

Minor issue: it doesn't want to pull up with the wing tips. So that's going to make landing difficult. It seems to fly fine without the wing tips though, and it still would have ~3x the lift of the original... *scheming*

Also this is the coolest looking bug I've ever seen:

Afterafterburner.png

Edited by Brownhair2

I decided to play a KScale64 game (the stock solar system multipled by 6.4 size and distances) because stock is too easy and RSS is too tedious.  But before I really get started, I'm screwing around with mix-matching parts and pieces of all the various visual mods to find a combination I really like.  Here's KSPRC Kerbin with SVE's atmospheric and ocean effects (at 6.4 scale, from a 130 km orbit):

UQp1Fq4.png

ru5nlCQ.png

1bvaNXO.png

I think that will do, for now.

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Um... UMBRELL-A?

No, Minecraft. :wink:

13 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

Managed to get the Duneshifter into orbit with 700 m/s delta-v to spare! :D

Duneshifter_Orbit.png

Minor issue: it doesn't want to pull up with the wing tips. So that's going to make landing difficult. It seems to fly fine without the wing tips though, and it still would have ~3x the lift of the original... *scheming*

Never seen a spaceplane with -only- NERVs for propulsion. I find your adventure ever more fascinating.

Put tail fins (or a bunch of small elevons) up front and don't worry too much about the CoL creeping forward. Without that lift assist near the cockpit you'll be stuck relying on high horizontal speed for just enough pitch authority...and praying for a large flat patch when landing.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Never seen a spaceplane with -only- NERVs for propulsion. I find your adventure ever more fascinating.

Actually they're LANTERNs from the Atomic Age mod. They have a secondary mode where they use oxidizer to boost thrust, at the cost of reduced Isp. They're still more efficient than most engines. Although now I want to make a plane powered only by NERVs... *more scheming*

25 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Put tail fins (or a bunch of small elevons) up front and don't worry too much about the CoL creeping forward. Without that lift assist near the cockpit you'll be stuck relying on high horizontal speed for just enough pitch authority...and praying for a large flat patch when landing.

Actually, you know what? This works out. The FAT-455 tail fins have a low heat tolerance, so I replaced them with the Big-S tailfins, which bring the CoL back, so I can add fins to the front to move the CoL forward! BRILLIANT!

Duneshifter3.png

Woops meant to edit :blush:

Edited by Brownhair2
fixed

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

FAT-455* tail fins.  (It actually says FAT in the name, lol).........Wait. I see what Squad did there! :0.0:

Fixed. I was wondering why they had so similar names :P

Edited by Brownhair2

31 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

I decided to play a KScale64 game (the stock solar system multipled by 6.4 size and distances) because stock is too easy and RSS is too tedious.  But before I really get started, I'm screwing around with mix-matching parts and pieces of all the various visual mods to find a combination I really like.  Here's KSPRC Kerbin with SVE's atmospheric and ocean effects (at 6.4 scale, from a 130 km orbit):

UQp1Fq4.png

I think that will do, for now.

Careful... once you go 6.4 scale you never... ok rarely... sometimes... it's just cool, OK??

Those visual mods look great, what's the setup?

29 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

No, Minecraft. :wink:

No, @TimePeriod's craft. :sticktongue:

39 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Those visual mods look great, what's the setup?

It's basically KSPRC, but I found that the Scatterer effects on Kerbin were so overwhelming that most of the details were just lost so I substituted the very subdued Scatterer config for Kerbin in the latest SVE.

I just cheated around to the other atmospheric planets and found the same kind of thing... Scatterer effects just too strong.  I'll try some alternate configs for them, too.

Edited by RoboRay

Today I returned two kerbalnauts from the surface of the Mun and then all three of them came back to Kerbin. Jeb took my Sporty Mk2 Mach 2 capable jet on a trip to do some crew reports near the Antarctic Circle. He nearly made it to Mach 3 on a decent. Loving those afterburning engines! 

My first Duna probe is on its way. About 40 days til the first correction burn. I'm a little worried about signal connectivity. Haven't sent anything that far yet in 1.2.  I should have enough according to the antenna description.

Working on a Mun science lander to put the MPL on the surface with a pod. I probably should do this on Minmus first, but if it can land on the Mun, it will definitely land on Minmus.

First IVA docking Wooo and in truth my first station docking since docking was a mod. I'm gonna do and a full mission to space IVA some day. But now I need to figure out the best crew rotation before I launch a return vessel for the crew I also need to leave jeb and val up there for now as the only other pilot on the crew needs returning to Kerbin. Also just realised my ENTIRE staff is now on a single station Well then the KSC is going to have to be unmanned for a while I guess no biggie.

Easy now Val....
aQpXFOl.png
steady.... steady....
ChFZLTL.png
Tadaaaaaaa
c154mDr.png

Mun 9 (The last and final Mun spacecraft mission. Because of the misuse of the KerbinLab 1 by the Mun 5 mission and its continued availability, a mission was planned for it. The spacecraft docked to it and the crew stayed onboard for ~30 days.): Success

Duna A T1 (The first test of the new Duna rocket [Saturn B]. The first heavylift rocket launched and the first stage was successful. After a coast phase, the second stage failed to ignite and crashed into the ocean.): Failure

Messenger 11 did its flyby of Duna, passing just 2,500 kilometers away from its surface.

Duna A T2 (The second test of the Duna A. Successfully launched into orbit and emmediately retro fired, splashing down in the ocean.): Success

Duna A/Minmus T1 (The first test of the thrid-generation Minmus spacecraft [Apollo] launched on a Duna A rocket. It was to test the LES but nothing succeeded to happen. The entire rocket crashed into the ocean just off the coast of the KSC.): Failure

Duna A/Minmus T2 (The second attempt at the LES test for the Minmus.): Success

Duna A/Minmus T3 (The full test of the Minmus spacecraft. Launched into orbit by a Duna A, completed an orbit, retro fired, and reentered.): Success

Duna B T1 (the first test of the Duna B rocket [Saturn V]. Launched into orbit and immediately retro fired, crashing into the ocean.): Success

Next flight: Duna B/Minmus T4 (The first test of the Duna B/Minmus combination. Will launch into orbit and return to Kerbin.)

Mun 9 and KerbinLab 1

azF0yZx.png

Duna A T1

wcPtMsK.png

Messenger 11 Duna approach

ZwfZxmR.png

The eye above

tktT7KI.png

Minmus T3

OK5Phko.png