What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

10 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

You can just use rigid attachment in the parts in question, too.

Rigid attachment, in my experience, makes parts snap even easier. Things that would bend - break.

Autostrut to root is a good solution, creating a much more rigid joint; especially if the root is somewhere near the middle of the geometry. Autostrut A--B is only a little bit more rigid than A--(root)--B. In this particular case I'd autostrut the heat shield, and parents of the outermost fins.

1 hour ago, regex said:

SSTU (check the Mod Development forum, it's usually on the first or second page), Near Future and Station Parts Expansion, some Space-Y stuff, B9, KSPIE, Tac LS...

Where is the giant habitation ring from?

Been messing around in GPP. Like @DarkOwl57, I am an SSTO person. So all mission directives have the end goal of unlocking space plane parts. Can't wait to see how I do landing at an inclined runway. 

EDIT: GPP has been a blast! Don't know if I can ever return to stock KSP. 

Edited by Leafbaron

3 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

All this Space station talk is cool and all, but to be honest, I'm an SSTO/Airplane person.

That's great, maybe you should post some pictures of SSTOs and airplanes what you flew or built today, then.

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

well considering I'm in school.... :/

Well maybe when you get home you should share some of what you did in KSP today. That's what this thread is about. If you're not into what other people are posting, and you're not contributing anything to the thread, then maybe this thread isn't for you.

3 minutes ago, regex said:

Well maybe when you get home you should share some of what you did in KSP today. That's what this thread is about. If you're not into what other people are posting, and you're not contributing anything to the thread, then maybe this thread isn't for you.

Oh well that's my plan! I just planned for a new KSC race course, and I can't wait to test it

(Replaced old pic with new pic!)

Q3edwlv.png
(OutLander II, features an Orbital Shipyard, a larger yet more efficient Lithium Fuel module, and, at the very bottom, the Hephaestus Industrial Lander)

Launched another large OutLander Station (3 large Toroids, Plasmamagnetodynamic Thrusters, Nuclear Reactors, massive solar panels, tons of science equipment, etc etc) and then sent up a new Lithium Tank to it.  This new style of dockable-tank uses 13 less parts than my previous version, and has double the capacity.

JFCsBPP.jpg
(Getting the new Lithium Tank into orbit requires a pretty hefty Launcher!)

Once I got the fuel hooked up in LKO, I finished off and sent my 'Hephaestus' Industrial Lander to dock with it.  The Hephaestus carries 5,000m/s of dv (sans ore), and maintains a TWR that allows it to land on most airless moons.  Once landed, it is capable of digging up and refining not only fuel, but also Rocket Parts, which means it can build new vessels, miners, etc on site.  The main OutLander (plus current Fuel Tank and Hephaestus) has nearly 7,000m/s of dv.  Since it can be refueled by the Hephaestus, this should be enough for now.  At worst, I can make another very large Lithium tank on Minmus and dock it to the OutLander, thereby increasing the range of the OutLander considerably.

cXSdE1e.jpg
(Hephaestus Industrial Lander in the VAB, shown next to Launcher fairing)

Since the Station Science Contracts usually give me a few million kerbucks each (and I can launch 4 at a time) money is rather inconsequential in this particular career.  I even have Outsourced R&D active, which takes 50% of my Fund gains and converts them to Science.  Since I am using a lot of mods with Community Tech Tree, the highest-Tier techs require 10,000 Science each, which means no amount of Science is wasted (when possible)!

Here's the view from one of the Workshops in the central Toroid:

QQO33Vj.jpg

EDIT:  Oh, and  question if anyone knows: I am using Near Future mods, and KSP Interstellar.  It appears that, for an unknown reason, my OutLander is producing an insane amount of heat then the radiators are set to Automatic.  Enough so that all the radial (non-deployable) radiators have exploded!  If I turn off Automation for the radiators, they cool back down.  My current theory is that the massive solar panels are generating a TON of heat with their proximity to Kerbol... does anyone know if this is true?  I'm worried that if I leave the Automated cooling on, then random other bits will heat up dramatically and explode...

Edited by Slam_Jones

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

3 is a very powerful number.

There's that many more for you to pick from and install. See my signature. :) That means 11.

I wonder if it'd be possible to make the background change depending on what SOI you're closest to. That would go much better with an insterstellar mod than interplanetary travel, but either way it could change things up a lot and makes you feel you've really come a long way.

Edited by Guest

57 minutes ago, String Witch said:

I wonder if it'd be possible to make the background change depending on what SOI you're closest to. That would go much better with an insterstellar mod than interplanetary travel, but either way it could change things up a lot and makes you feel you've really come a long way.

It would be possible, I'm sure. I can try to tempt the environment gurus or TR's maintainer. Since the dll is tiny I'm hoping they find it worth the effort to produce the feature.

9 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I tested out some new Constellation-inspired technology.

IkeNuiy.jpg

I also visited a planet from the Olei planet pack by @Gamel0rd1.

o4jp66N.jpg

Despite some unusual visual bugs which appear to only occur in the map view, Niebos is an excellent-looking planet.

vCxB1UF.jpg

K4xzjBI.jpg

0NL7GtP.jpg

XtYcZTC.jpg

CXTeTZc.jpg

v32GoKx.jpg

That's just absolutely amazing! (I'm trying my best to ignore the terrain seam in Niebos!)

Beautiful pictures, and I hope all goes well for you with your mission! Tomorrow I will fix Niebos's seam - i have some nifty software to do that in just a few minutes, however i am out of time to do that today.

Again, thanks for taking pictures of the planet - and good luck on your mission!

PS: New teaser on the mod thread :wink: 

Edited by Gamel0rd1

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

All this Space station talk is cool and all, but to be honest, I'm an SSTO/Airplane person.

Interesting how different gamers are. I have no interest in airplanes and splaceplanes. At least not at the time.I dig old school rockets.

44 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

Interesting how different gamers are. I have no interest in airplanes and splaceplanes. At least not at the time.I dig old school rockets.

Meanwhile I blew up the VAB two weeks ago and haven't bothered rebuilding it...

I've been testflying my B-43 Jetmaster. Incidentally, I may be the first person to do such a thing, stock or otherwise. It makes sense, because the only reason this plane is noteworthy is the twin cockpits.

te25E7g.png

Last night I did some fine-tuning of the trajectory of a couple of relay packages I have en-route to Jool (one is stopping there, the other is doing a slight slingshot to Eeloo.)  Set them up so that their boosters will fall into the Joolean atmosphere, while the rest of the package continues on.  I am a little worried about not having enough breaking fuel when I get there, but we shall see in another year and a half (in-game) when they arrive.  I might need to burn through the monopropellant they use for adjustments.  I have Kerbal Alarm Clock set to remind me when I get close enough.  

Trying to send out relay packages to each major planetary system as their transfer windows get near.  

Still testing the Eve lander. It can now safely land without any problems - it entered the atmosphere radial-out, with all controls (SAS) turned off. It has no movable control surfaces near the top anyway. It just points that huge 10m heatshield forward all by itself. Next step: Testing the launch.

9pwK59Y.png

Just my luck that it landed on a 23.6 degree slope. :mad:

While I am typing this, it is still sliding down the hill at 1 m/s! Stop already, I wanna test the ascent!!

(This is all Sandbox, with F12 cheat into Eve orbit - will do the whole thing from Kerbin as soon as Eve simulations are completed)

Bycyo8t.jpg

[5 min later...]

Bugger.

As I eject the parachutes, the landing gear was overstressed, which cascaded into the rocket tipping over, followed by many many many many explosions. Maybe I need more than 4 legs! Back to the VAB

ND6mj8t.jpg

Back in a version upgrade (from 1.1.0 to 1.1.3, I think), I lost my base on Duna. Luckily, it was unmanned by the time, as the crew was on its way back home by then. However, the insurance company "Space Quarters Universal Association" (SQUAD) tried to invoke force majeure. Mort wasn't particularly pleased and the thing went to court. Squad lost the thing as the event was not unpredictable and could have been prevented by Squad, so the judge argued.

With the money at hand the base was upgraded a tiny little bit and placed where the old base used to be, by the magic of savefile editiing...

On the scientific side of the game, I tried to get a Duna space plane to LKO. Turns out I had to strap some fuel tanks to its wings in order to get off the KSC....

Taken two days, but I finally have a miner that will do Iota in 3.2x scale and make a useful amount of fuel-profit after the ore is processed :)

o2tQ5g3.jpg

Looks like it will only use ~1900 fuel to do a descent/mine/ascent on a good day, so with 5400 available from the ore conversion, that's a potential profit of 3500 units, or slightly more than one large grey 2.5m tank.

Given that this is 3.2x and I'm not very advanced on tech, I'm happy with that for now :)  Later days I will try to scale up the design, but for the immediate, this is satisfactory. Now I just need to launch the bludger...