What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My space station in low Kerbin orbit managed to deplete all available science (Station Science). Since I play both RSS and Mission Controller I rather not build an entirely new science station in a different orbit. So I decided to build a reusable space tug and drag the entire station around the system.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Now I'm posting this while waiting for the multi hour burn...

Finished the tech tree with a couple of suborbital flights, a flight to orbit the Mun, 12 Mun landings, 6 Minmus landings, one Duna landing, one Eve flyby, and a probe into Kerbol. Certainly not the most efficient nor quick, but I'm glad I finally finished it.

After failing to get my Mun base working properly, I brought all the Kerbins home. However, I left 2 rovers chillin' on the surface.

2014-04-14_00003sm_zpsffbe88ce.jpg~original

Even though they were having the first-ever car meet on Mun, I didn't like them up there. I wanted to figure out a way to bring them back. Both rovers were fitted with docking ports prior to going to Mun, so I decided to retrofit my workhorse of a ship with 2 docking ports to carry the rovers back to Kerbin.

2014-04-26_00001sm_zps92a73c73.jpg~original

Oddly, I didn't have any issues flying this thing with the two rovers attached. And I blindly set a maneuver straight from Mun orbit into Kerbin's atmosphere, and to my surprise it brought me down just a few Km's west of KSC.

2014-04-26_00002sm_zps538d464d.jpg~original

After reentry though, the parachutes had already deployed on the rovers for some reason, so I quickly undocked them in flight so they could float down on their own. I had previously tested the parachute design to see if they could survive a reentry and landing on Kerbin with just 1 chute. Unfortunately, after my main capsule finally touched down safely, I checked with the space center. Both rovers had vanished. No debris, no tracking, nothing. All I know is that they floated down somewhere near the mountains that are west of KSC. But beyond that, I have no idea what happened to them. I have classified them as "lost".

2014-04-26_00004sm_zps15a5d149.jpg~original

Asteroid stuff. Each size of asteroid has it's own challenges. Class A ones are kinda hard to grab, the larger ones are harder to maneuver...

Built a station on an asteroid

UgojwzZ.png

Docked two asteroids together

cizoNNc.png

Edited by jdsutton

Had nothing really on this weekend so i had a KSP day and first built Orion Station out of some 12 separate launches:

99fc6s.png

And then had a crazy idea to make a massive modular style base and built this. It contains 23 hitchhiker containers, 16 artificial gravity habitats, 25 of the largest inflatable habitats, 6 of the large deployed habitats, 2 science labs and contains something like 125+ kerbals. The part count was getting a bit high so i could not make it any bigger and could not try to launch it normally and had to cheat to obtain orbit, but i plan on getting an A sized Asteroid and building a similar base around it, keeping it locked in the core, but anyway check out this beast!:

2i71iet.png

After reentry though, the parachutes had already deployed on the rovers for some reason, so I quickly undocked them in flight so they could float down on their own. I had previously tested the parachute design to see if they could survive a reentry and landing on Kerbin with just 1 chute. Unfortunately, after my main capsule finally touched down safely, I checked with the space center. Both rovers had vanished. No debris, no tracking, nothing. All I know is that they floated down somewhere near the mountains that are west of KSC. But beyond that, I have no idea what happened to them. I have classified them as "lost".

Completely normal, unfortunately. Any craft that is not the one you're actively controlling, that is deep enough in the atmosphere, will be automatically deleted (as if it is either debris, or something on a planetary collision trajectory), when either one of these conditions happens:

1. It moves beyond the 2.5 km physics-radius, from the object you're controlling

or,

2. You go into non-physical timewarp, so it's put on rails.

I went out to solar orbit, grabbed my first-ever asteroid (a C-class), and hauled it into a currently fairly elliptical but equatorial orbit.

TQxUyHg.png

Dljvjpy.png

Holy crap those things are heavy and obnoxious, especially to turn. The asteroid "Abigor" went through several atmo passes to get a sub-Munar apoapsis... wish I could find a calculator for FAR aerobraking.

Things were probably made a bit more complicated due to me forgetting to pack the monopropellant and RCS...

I started a tour of the planets and moons I had not landed on before: Dres, Vall, and Bop. Because going from Kerbin to Dres is so expensive, I decided to start from Vall. I wasn't sure whether my standard interplanetary ship had enough fuel to land on all of them, so I launched a fuel tanker with it to Jool.

last_planets_1.jpeg

last_planets_2.jpeg

last_planets_3.jpeg

Everything went as planned until Vall. Then I departed for Bop, matched the inclination, and set the apoapsis to touch the orbit of Bop. Meanwhile the fuel tanker was also approaching Bop, so I switched to it and accidentally warped through a SoI change. Nothing seemed to be wrong, so I did some course changes and quicksaved. When I returned to the main ship, it was on a random orbit around Jool: the inclination was all wrong, and even the apoapsis was below Vall. I had to waste a lot of fuel to get the ship to Bop.

last_planets_4.jpeg

last_planets_5.jpeg

After refueling, the ship had almost 6000 m/s of delta-v, so I decided to continue to Dres, while sending the fuel tanker back to Kerbin.

last_planets_6.jpeg

Because of the difficulties in reaching Bop, I had to leave Dres for another day.

I'm working on improvements to my winged flyback booster. (An album of an orbital mission of the original Mk 1 design, vertically launched with a heavy payload is shown here: http://imgur.com/a/hFXiW#0)

I've increased the wing area, added a couple of jet engines and adjusted the design so that it can fly well enough to make runway landings... assuming the fuel tanks are nearly empty, as-in returning from orbit.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's all stock parts, other than the Procedural Fairings interstage adapter for mounting payloads on the nose. It is designed to operate in a FAR/DRE environment, however.

Now to see if it can still lift an orange tank into LKO...

Well, today Bill and Jeb drove the new science rover through all kind of tests

Fdsc22O.png

While enjoying the testdrive, Jeb wasn´t aware, that on return, Bob would have a little surprise ready for him...

0MOcrlf.png

...the all new Delta-Wing SSTO Prototype, ready to be taken for a testflight

eTpFFms.png

Jeb just couldnt wait, so he jumped into the cockpit right away...

a0f6Clk.png

Climbs like an elevator... 65° upwards, hitting mach 1 just under 4000 m... Ferram Aerospace 13.2 installed.

jvGCr4l.png

Orbit was just a little hop for the new Delta-Wing... so much dV left... can it go to the Mun?

b3lzteS.png

Departing Kerbin.

ty63vtz.png

And a nice little turn round the Mun.

FpW29bZ.png

Approaching Kerbin.

iYXWmrU.png

And safe back home.

zb3KqcJ.png

By far, the best SSTO i ever built... Stock parts only, no part clipping, no intake hogging... That was a nice day with KSP. :)

Edited by Frank_G