What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I took a break from my Jool-5 mission to "upgrade" my LKO station by more or less replacing it with a better one and docking them together to make a big franken-station. Unfortunately this was ill-timed and perfectly coincided with my Mun lander reaching its close approach to the Mun station, and combined with the issue of trying to gather the new station's launch scaffolding together into a blob so I could recover it, I ended up literally having to dock three things at once, one of which was as wiggly as a wet noodle and one of which was pretty much the exact opposite of balanced. My head's spinning...

So personally I haven't done anything yet today as I have to be at work in an hour... :(

However, what I plan on accomplishing is starting a new sandbox game loaded down with mods and colonize planets, I'm thinking minmus first just because of its low gravity and proximty to Kerbin. I do have a question though, how would I edit a cfg file to make Kethane valuable on Kerbin? Like I mine it, and return it and get a decent profit from it?

Landed unmanned on Ike, Duna(FIX THE DANG CRATERS BIOME, ITS NIGH IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND), Gilly, and did orbital science stuff for all those along with Eve and Bop.

Next mission is "Duna III", The first manned attempt. This is also my first interplanetary return mission with FAR and DRE, so....yeah... we'll see.

Edited by r4pt0r

I just made a mission to Mun, plant a flag and to get a probe into polar orbit. On fist try I managed to shoot my probe into pieces (the probe was out of camera, then I fired the second decoupler and after a second.... BOOOM) with my decouplers I used to set it free ;-) I used two decouplers ("antiparallel") because I do not like one stay sticked on the mothership (the lander in this case). Proper way to to it would be I think a docking port....

Carsten

Edited by callimero
typo

I built a small 1950s style jet (based on the MiG-15, but not greatly accurate.) then used it to test an Ejection system.

The system isn't ideal since crew have to be transferred to it on the ground, so it has little advantage over just detaching the nose with a parachute. It's also not ideal that you always have to manually swap to the ejection seat, even if you select "control from here" before firing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

After further testing, it seems a more effective ejector system than I would have expected - It can eject on the runway at 0m/s, during regular flight or aerobatic flight, at low altitude while inverted (so long as the parachute stages at the same time as the rockets), and is capable of landing in water safely. When fired uncrewed by accident (and thus being unable to stage the parachute), the crash back at KSC only damaged the rockets, leaving the seat intact.

EDIT: I tried another low altitude ejection test and the seat performed as planned, so I turned the plane around and flew over it at low height. The seat reloaded above the plane and fell into it, making it get stuck in the wing. The plane lost control and crashed into Kerbin. When the explosions cleared, only two parts were left: The cockpit and the Ejector system.

I suppose a use for the system would be if a spaceplane took damage during ascent that would mean it was impossible to land, the crew could transfer to these seats in space, then eject once the plane falls to low altitude.

Edited by Coam

I put a station in Munar orbit (and fulfilled a Kerbin station contract whilst I was at it - made a lot of money with that launch). I launched two probes that are headed for Duna and Ike, and then realised that I'm meant to collect science whilst landed too. Ooops (there goes the gains from the station contract). The Duna science will be pretty easy to collect (aerobrake probe) but I guess I'll have to send a probe lander to Ike.

was in orbit, waiting for manouver node to send a satellite to Minmus for a contract.

see something moving on screen, whoosh, something zooms past at a few km/sec, less than 1km away.

I'd nearly collided with a satellite I had put up previously, which was going the opposite way !

After recovering a probe from the Mun, got ~275 science from the probe, and ~325 from contracts, along with a ton of kredits. It was hair raising at one point though, due to a very low fly by of a temperature scan, since the probe (lost LOS to KSC and no relays could reach it either on RT) was below 1km above the ground, traveling 800m/s, with a few ridges ahead. Not sure how much it cleared it by, since it was dark, but it was cleared.

I put a science station around Minmus and it's currently doing sciency stuff for a contract

gnzLcNU.png

Also sent up 2 "escape pods" in case kerbals need to evacute to err... Minmus <.< Jeb tried one by doing a landing and planting a flag on Minmus for a contract.

uWeUIgz.png

And yes, it is Ion+RCS only. I've wanted to try this on Minmus for a while and now that I have I'll probably never do it again because it took forever to break and I put on too few solarpanels to have all the thrust I wanted. Fiddled around with mixing ion and rcs to get down safely.

Did some stuff for Scorched Kerbin (link in sig), and will update it with chapter 2 tomorrow (with screenshots)

(pro-tip: Moho has no water, at least not with the mods I use. Looks like "self-sustaining" might not work out, I might figure something else though.)

I started a new project to develope a reusable launch system in RSS, with AJE and probably real fuels. Idea is to be more efficient than SpaceX's F9R and as reusable as an SSTO would be.

First Prototype Flights went partly succesful. The First Stage Prototype was pretty stable, carrying a 2nd stage dummy to some altitude.

Have to attach more engines for full scale test, some liftoff refining and some serious refining of that stage seperation. The Seperation of the First stage is the biggest problem as of now. But overall i'm surprised how well it performed.

Don't have pictures yet, put if it gets to a full scale prototype I will log a flight. Development will continue tommorow.

Some data of my idea, leaving some relevant points purposely unmentioned as of now. some secret developement...

It will be a 3-Stage Vehicle.

Every Stage will be fully reusable.

It won't use non-existing technology, no SABRE's, no RAPIERS, no Fusion Drive. Additionally it probably won't use electrical or nuclear propulsion either.

It will hopefully need less fuel-per-payloadweight than the F9R, while having at least the same payload-mass and volume capabilities.

Maybe the Payload Fairings will also be reusable, but i'm still undecided about that.

I finally completed the Jool-5. It turns out you only need a simple lander, a big transfer stage, and an even bigger rocket to do it. And because rockets are so cheap in the career mode, completing one contract at Jool is enough to fund the mission.

Before:

screenshot0.jpeg

The rocket looks nice, but the payload doesn't. (This isn't the real launch, as I don't have launchpad pictures from it.)

After:

screenshot127.jpeg

The rocket may have been a bit overkill.

Had the greatest and worst day in my career game so far.

Established my first off-Kerbin base, on Minmus. As part of the contract, it had to have room for 14 Kerbals. For reasons of aesthetics, it ended up being a 16 Kerbal base with four MK 1-2 pods and a Hitchhiker compartment with two docking ports for further expansion. I also packed a nuclear engine to test it out, as I have never used one before.

SfofB5C.jpg

kiAmfqe.png

Landing it was easy due to Minmus' pathetic gravity. However, upon landing Jeb noticed that he was not the one who was supposed to be flying this craft, and that apart from the real pilot, two other Kerbals that were supposed to man the station were not there. Apparently there was a crew mixup, and Jeb found himself alone on a lonely mint rock.....for the next year.

Meanwhile on Kerbin, a mission was set in motion to bring the missing crew to the Minmus base, and at the same time deploy an orbital station around Minmus as part of a contract as well. As part of another contract that required a satellite in Minmus orbit, the station also contained a probe core to be able to be operated remotely.

This whole mission completely failed in both its objectives. The station was not built according to specifications, was running low on fuel and being piloted by the probe core, and not the Kerbal (as the hitchhiker compartment has no control function, and there was no other manned control module), had coverage issues as it was naturally only at that moment noticed that the network of communication satellites around Kerbin had drifted completely out of their geostationary orbits and were all over the place. Due to these reasons it was decided to crash the station into Minmus, while the Kerbonaut made a risky descent with his jetpack. Upon touching down safely he embarked on flying over almost a quarter of Minmus's circle to the landed base...

Um69FMf.png

...and had a rough, barely survivable landing due to running out of jetpack fuel - he overshot the base and tumbled along Minmus' surface for a kilometer, then had to walk that distance back to the base.

Finally, after a harrowing journey, the closest thing to home.

HDy9hRk.png

The other part of the launched ship - the part with the three Kerbals meant to crew the base, has a problem where the pod applied torque to the right (of the navball, regardless of orientation, possibly a bug), and this malfunction made it impossible to land the pod on Minmus safely. It was decided to abort the mission, and struggling with the controls the pilot managed to send the pod back to Kerbin where they landed safely.

An entirely new and improved craft was built to repeat this ill-fated mission, and this time ended up being a complete success.

My first ever space station - the cozy Minmus Orbital Lab & Aux Relay (as of yet lacking the lab part, but getting one attached soon):

HKieTNh.png

And the Minmus Polar Habitat got its crew, plus one extra Kerbal that fell from the sky on his own.

m9v99Ym.jpg

The tower separated from the base to bring Jeb home.

SxTxSOG.jpg

PSNMmHZ.png

Jeb finally got to go home, and landed on Kerbin's south pole to do some further tests.

lEoBlBc.jpg

Now for the tedious taks of bringing order to my not so geostationary satellite network. :huh:

Today I installed KSP on my Linux Mint and I'm really happy that my mod heavy install works like a charm :) Performance is also better than in Windows version.

So now I can finally start preparations to my great post Apollo "Ares" Kerbin > Eve > Duna mission :)

Today I installed KSP on my Linux Mint and I'm really happy that my mod heavy install works like a charm :) Performance is also better than in Windows version.

So now I can finally start preparations to my great post Apollo "Ares" Kerbin > Eve > Duna mission :)

"voyage"

I'd like to see that!