What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just did my first ever pass into another planets SOI and now have a scansat probe looking for suitable future landning places on Duna. Also have probes bound for Eve and Jool aswell as umanned landers on their way to Duna and Eve plus their respective moons. Once I have these interplanetary things figured out I'll probably move over to a new save with a more refined modlist since right now I just try things out and switch stuff around constantly.

Unfortunately no pictures since I'm stuck with mobile internet for the time being.

I blew up the launchpad for the first time during an actual serious career play.

I think I'm having an issue because even with 2.0 TWR (w/FAR) the rocket would not rise fast (like 0.5m/s). I cut the engines at 3m when I realized my kerbals were gonna die if I let things go further.

The center stack of the rocket survived but the two booster stacks blew up, taking roughly 30k funds down the drain.

Kerbals are okay.

Got to figure out what the hell happened. I can't have my experienced kerbals die and the Duna window is coming up quickly. The probe section of the mission is already in LKO waiting for the window but I need the manned part of the mission up in orbit. It's rather heavy.

This is driving me nuts.

Went out to Jool with a SCANsat, first time I've been out there since v.24.2 ... mission failure. As I came in, I retracted the solar panels for just a touch of aerobraking, but forgot to extend them afterward. By the time I realized it, too late, there was no Energizer Bunny available to help me out ... batteries went dead. The second pass put it into Jool. Tomorrow I'll try again.

It is usually a good idea to keep one battery pack somewhere on the craft locked/closed/shutdown (whatever the word is) so that even if you screw up, you can always just unfreeze the battery and use the juice.

Edited by Axelord FTW

Flew my Kerbin Moon Bus to Minmus - forgetting to take the science package also containing a part for testing on Minmus' surface with me ... - landing is scheduled to take place close to a probe to recover its science.

The Kerbol Probe One left Kerbin's SOI. In about half a Kerbal year a small burn will bring it home again after a little bit more than one full orbit.

KSC grasped the opportunity to teach kerblets all over Kerbin a lesson in orbital dynamics: The probe burned retrograde with its departure stage shortly before leaving Kerbin's orbit, separated and reestablished its escape trajectory.

The spent stage will drop back to Kerbin, zoom around at about 120km, sling around Mun and slam back into Kerbin's atmosphere at last.

Next up: Launching more kerbonauts up to the KIR station for round trips to the moons and crew training.

After few days off from KSP I have finally unlocked air intakes and jet engines so I went on to build a plane to do survey contracts around Kerbin. I had few contracts which were for under 18k m altitude so I have build a small plane that flies low (and slow). I still use 2 KW Vesta rocket engines for launch as I do not have landing wheels unlocked yet. Landing is done with 4 parachutes.

8XlxqMM.png

This is first plane that I have succeeded to fly in career mode since I have started playing KSP. Usually my planes flip out of control or break up in the air, but this one was stable and could do nice turns without braking up. Next version will be built when I unlock landing wheels so that I can take of and land at the runway.

Just har my first encounter with what I assume is the famous Kraken. A quarter of a million science vessel bound for Duna and Ike just went into nothingness when I switched to it for the last coursecorrection, luckily its sistership bound for Eve and Gilly has not shown the same tendencies to go poof so maybe the mission will atleast be a half of a succes.

Just har my first encounter with what I assume is the famous Kraken. A quarter of a million science vessel bound for Duna and Ike just went into nothingness when I switched to it for the last coursecorrection, luckily its sistership bound for Eve and Gilly has not shown the same tendencies to go poof so maybe the mission will atleast be a half of a succes.

That's why I cannot get myself to play on a difficulty setting that disallows quicksave/load. :(

yup, sounds like the kraken wanted his afternoon snack alright.

Got a whole slew of landed parts tests done last night, intermixed with occasional "science from kerbin" contracts. Made enough science to finish out what can be done with the Level 1 R&D building, and enough money to upgrade the Astronaut Complex, Tracking Station, Launch Pad and Runway to Level 2. VAB, R&D and SPH are my only structures still at Level 1 and I've got a couple of contracts that pay out over √100k. The 30 part limit for the Level 1 craft structures is starting to grate on my nerves a bit. On the other hand, I should have the tech I need at this point to do a manned Mun mission - if I can figure out how to do it in under thirty parts...

Tiny bit more work on the fuel-tank pack I'm working on. I need to make a few 3.75m tanks, and it should be good to go soon after.

The goal here is to make some larger tanks, with a few different aesthetic choices, for making boosters. It's designed to cooperate and extend from the Color Coded Canisters style, and provide some larger-than-stock tanks with stock balance. So the tanks are all 1.5x the height of the largest stock tank at each diameter, with the goal of mildly helping with part-count. (if you're like me, your booster sections rarely end up using a single tank, and usually are at least 1.5x the largest tank's size).

KSP%202015-01-20%2018-43-26-29.jpg

KSP%202015-01-20%2018-44-25-19.jpg

Today (1:00 AM) I accepted a test contract for a RAPIER engine in orbit around Kerbin (350k funds, yum), so I designed a small single seater SSTO with one RAPIER, one ram intake, a couple small tanks and various collateral junk just to barely get in orbit and get the job done.

I thought that the spacecraft slightly exceeded the requirements while I was flying by the Mun and still having a full monopropellant tank and 200 dV worth of fuel. It would have made it back if it wasn't for the WING KRAKEN.

During re-entry at 50km the first of my wing parts decided to take a hike, a speedy hike at that, instantly hitting the launchpad from the exact opposite side of Kerbin.

That's some good darn aim, I must say.

And the other ones followed soon after.

When the plane was at about 1500 meters from the ground, it consisted of a RAPIER engine, an almost empty fuel tank, the monoprop tank, the cockpit and the frontal intake. All my lift and control surfaces just disintegrated on the way down. I cursed a bit, chilled down, had a sip of the aforementioned beer and FLIPPED THE WHOLE FLYING CIGAR AROUND I LANDED IT ANYWAY BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I ROLL.

I DON'T NEED NO PUNY WINGS, YOU SILLY GAME.

Only the cockpit and the nose survived though. Picture will follow as soon as I get home from work.

And no, I'm not using Deadly Reentry.

Here are a bunch of dark pictures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

First medium-range trip with B9. Had a ground survey and flag planting mission, and a bunch of unlevelled rookies, so turned it into the most complicated all-in-one mission I've run within Kerbin's SOI :)

http://foxwoodstudios.co.uk/kerbal/complicated-minmus-b9.jpg

I think my picture of a landing at KSP might demonstrate the "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one" more dramatically :D

screenshot19.png

Very interesting day today.

I broke Jeb :-(

ad2XhrO.jpg

Had way too much DeltaV for a simple mission.

AdMZZQq.jpg

Mined my first Kethane in .90 which btw it says it doesn't work but I have yet to see an issue.

MWMxG7e.jpg

Lastly I began creating a Station in Minmus Orbit for this career(science) save.

GVcLW5f.jpg

All in all it was a good day so far.