What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I started debating on reformatting my hard drive in order to fix some nagging issues I have been having with the computer as of late. My hopes are that I can move my Steam folder, with all the games, to an external drive in order to save me the hassle of redownloading them again. I did mess around with my jet the Zipper some more and it flies with very little input from me, so I am guessing that is a good thing.

Since Jeb is parked around Laythe I am shooting Bill to another Far reach of the universe around Duna. He was shot there solo with a new Space station.

kWLOI7B.png

nckugQv.jpg

He almost managed to almost destroy my nearly indestructible lander, planting it face down at 20 m/s and amazingly only blowing 5 out of 12 tires. Unfortunately it seems he lacks the "experience" to change tires...... Some solar arrays are missing as well, but it seems Bill likes walking across them on EVA.

ABCXeVb.png

EsYzv3H.jpg

Edited by sumrex

Working on putting together my very first interplanetary ship, the KSS Liason, latest addition is 1 of 3 landers,and I have 2 modules to go. A science module and the main propulsion. and I have NO clue how I'm gonna get that up there, unless I just stick one of my lifters to it. (modified of course)

Confirmed_zpsedb22968.jpg

That is a very ambitious first interplanetary mission.

I sent two probes to Jool in my career save. I actually time-warped to the right transfer window and all, and I got an encounter without tweaking. That was a very impressive feat for me. But, the game crashed. Then, I load the game again, and my probe that was going to land on Laythe glitches out. The screen was black, the navball texture didn't load, and a bunch of other hectic things happened. I reloaded KSP again, and it was gone. The other craft, the orbiter, on a trajectory that would take another 50 Kerbin days to get to Jool, suffered the same fate. The Kraken is on my hit list now.

Experienced the NaN kraken twice on an Ike probe that WAS ALMOST THERE and learned that the big SAR antenna of SCANsat has, unlike most of the other parts, collisions whith the rest of the ship, since it destroyed my solar panels while they were turning to the sun.

After another instance of the (for me) infamous "Can't go back to Space Centre" bug, and an update to Remote Tech that could/should fix one possible cause, I managed a very twitchy and hard docking to get my first Alpha Kerbin Station construction under way. The docking started as a test flight that ended up on an orbit too good to pass on for a rendezvous, and turned out to be a successful mission. But man it was hard for the little WorkBee (lower right) to bring itself and the first truss with antennae and solar panels (in the centre) to attach to the main unmanned first node already in orbit.

While the WorkBee itself is extremely well balanced and manoeuvrable, someone in the VAB forgot to actually put RCS thrusters on the truss itself, and to even test the balance of the two object once docked together. Needless to say, the controllability went out the proverbial green tinted traditional Kerbin glass window, making the docking procedures (in which I'm not even that skilled YET) a pretty nerve-wracking ride.

But we made it. Success tastes delicious :)

ThoJXtJ.png

I got tired of hauling RocketParts up to my shipyard, troubleshooting the latest incarnation of the FRX expendable booster, and trying to build an airplane that can take off at less than 40m/s in NEAR.

So I decided to practice flying VTOLs. Many, many explosions and dead Bob & Hadski clones later:

Wl9J4Lu.png

Edited by Fail-Man 3D
Full disclosure (I can't fly VTOLs)

I refueled my Moho ship in anticipation of a mission to Eeloo.

fuel_tanker_1.jpeg

The fuel tanker represents my current construction style: radial boosters get the rocket almost all the way to orbit, and the payload then circularizes under its own power.

fuel_tanker_2.jpeg

The tanker also demonstrates another design principle of mine: always use as weak engines as you can get away with. Formerly I would have used a KR-2L engine in a 150-tonne tanker, but the Skipper is already good enough for that.

I gave the runway to orbit record a go with this, using FAR but disabled KIDS for this(and ran in sandbox).

Craft probably needs a bit of tuning, especially the roll control surfaces. I'm Using vens stock revamp, but the used parts should be same as stock, stats wise. 5m39s after a few tries whereof about 1½ min is coasting to ap. Weight on runway is just shy of 6t(wings at .2-.25 strength). Might get a better result with two structural intakes instead of the shock cone(replacing it it with a nosecone), but think in the end it comes down to piloting skills to get a better time with it.

At least its fun to set a personal record, I usually have really slow orbit times(20+ min) for my spaceplanes.

9qqlLJA.jpg?2