What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have finally made my first ever successful mission to a body outside of Kerbin SOI. In that mission I have completed 3 contracts and got huge amount of funds and science as a reward. Final landing on Duna didn't go well though as I managed to hit a slope and my craft toppled on its side.

YZFohML.png

dfCuomW.png

OAWWZL0.png

6zEvyro.png

7q07N3t.png

I'm sending a crew to Eve and the launch stage of the hab module had extra fuel. I realized if I throttled the Mainsail way down I might be able to bring the extra fuel along for the burn out of Kerbin!

screenshot5_zpspjrmsrcl.png

It worked pretty well, the Mainsail started at 8% but after several minutes the minimum of 5% was too much so I had to jettison it. Unfortunately it was taking the docking port of the satellite headed for a synchronous Eve orbit. In the minute or so it took to swap the launch stage for the satellite I was way out of alignment for the transfer burn but thankfully the orbit was still in Kerbin's SOI and in 3 hours I was able to complete the burn. Awesome!

screenshot8_zpsd4pyxtjk.png

Got fed up with having to return to the lander after a hard days a-roving so designed a new RoLander. This is the Mk3 which can return the crew directly to Kerbin without having to rendezvous in orbit. Jeb is driving from one of the jump seats so he can get a better view of the road ahead.

1H26bNXh.png

...and back at Kerbin, here is the first stage decouple. Only the front tank to get rid of and the guys will soon be soon be home.

mX1WWoNh.png

Edited by percyPrune

I finally cleared my KAC list of ongoing missions, culminating a landing an outpost on Moho, placing an A-class 'roid in Laythe orbit, and finally landing on Eeloo. All Explore missions are now complete! But I suppose I still need to put flags on Tylo and Vall. Next contract to start on involves an asteroid outpost around Bop, so I suppose I should send up a manned Tylo lander while I'm at it.

2TVPLtn.png

I started my Mun Mission!

Coming in for a soft landing.

Q7Lx6Hv.jpg

Here's the ship. I made a special basket since I couldn't figure out how to fit the unbalanced Munar Excursion Module onto the oddly shaped outpost's rocket :S

wSee6yU.jpg

I dropped the basket with the MEM, then landed on a flat spot nearby.

j6x2T1y.jpg

vwiHLVo.jpg

Charge mode!

vmmvA8j.jpg

Rovers are cool.

OL6UPER.jpg

I got rid of the radial engines so that the outpost will look more like an outpost instead of a lander.

Hmc1jLd.jpg

BOOM!

Bv8eNhk.jpg

The Mission is 5 contracts. Send science data from space around Kerbin, then the Mun, then set up an outpost, plant a flag, and perform seismic surveying of the area. The outpost contract was funded by Jeb's company so I sent him up there to plant the flag.

5yyPNa6.jpg

Here's the area I'm surveying. I landed right in the middle of them all!

Nr16Ao6.jpg

The outpost has a launchpad with a pod that has enough fuel to rendezvous with an orbital lab in munar orbit to increase the value of Jeb's findings once he's finished his long rover expedition.

Edited by Mister Kerman

In the spirit of that challenge for how fast you can go... i decided to try to break the land speed record for stock aero...

lMEz8JI.png

It sorta flew but it was easily 400m/s on the runway. Right before the engines shut down it was at 508 m/s.

ex266Tw.png

On the space side I captured a Class E asteroid for this contract to put it in orbit of minmus. It's in a stable orbit of kerbin right now. This image was during the kerbin aerocapture. I got lucky with this one in that it was going to hit kerbin so I could aerobrake it in kerbin's atmosphere.

8iuWCct.png

Edited by michaelhester07

I've finally learned how to use gravity assists! In what turned out to be one of the hardest things I've ever done, I string a few gravity assists together and head to Tekto (a moon of Sarnus from the Outer Planet Mod) and back in an SSTO. Tekto is a Titan analogue with a very thick atmosphere that extends 100km into space due to the low gravity. Its parent body - the gas giant 'Sarnus' - orbits the Sun way out past Jool so this was quite a challenge...

Edited by hazard-ish

I just got my first SSTO into space....see my thread in the "Gameplay Questions" Section.

The flight took while, but i managed to get an orbit AND was able to land. In past tries, i got into an 80km orbit...without fuel left.

I've finally learned how to use gravity assists! In what turned out to be one of the hardest things I've ever done, I string a few gravity assists together and head to Tekto (a moon of Sarnus from the Outer Planet Mod) and back in an SSTO. Tekto is a Titan analogue with a very thick atmosphere that extends 100km into space due to the low gravity. Its parent body - the gas giant 'Sarnus' - orbits the Sun way out past Jool so this was quite a challenge...

+rep That was fantastic, great video harzardish!!! Can't believe you managed 3 gravity assists on your way to the outer kerbolar system. Awesome mission and sounds :)

Wao, that's really great. Btw, 17 years is a very long long time...

Edited by Nansuchao
Mistake

I recreated that scene from Interstellar where they dock the lander to the spinning Endurance on a suborbital trajectory. Thank god for quicksaves. I must admit that the ships weren't EXACT replicas of the interstellar ones but the fact I did it over Jool made it ever so exciting. Now to figure away to post screenshots. Some tense moments eh? :3

Had my second ever successful FAR spaceplane flight to orbit. The attempted landing...didn't go quite as well. Let's say I made the Runway at least. Tonight I plan to work on the "intact" qualifier a bit more rigorously.

mm I had to do.. this

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- - - Updated - - -

I recreated that scene from Interstellar where they dock the lander to the spinning Endurance on a suborbital trajectory. Thank god for quicksaves. I must admit that the ships weren't EXACT replicas of the interstellar ones but the fact I did it over Jool made it ever so exciting. Now to figure away to post screenshots. Some tense moments eh? :3

Awesome! show some pics!

Edited by ilo