What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Landed MaverickX on Laythe. Did some exploring on the surface, drove to the coast and took samples of the oceans, then took off and rendezvoused with the nuclear tug which transported it to the Jool system. Tomorrow I'm gonna head to another one of the moons and see if I can land this bad boy on a moon without an atmosphere... not hopeful, but that's why we've got F5 :D

15wArdV.png

So... This just happened.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Before anybody asks, no, I did not stage this! I was flying too low and too fast with FAR and my rocket busted due to aerodynamic stresses. Well, I used so much part clipping in my design that once things started ripping from one another, damn near every part in my ENTIRE SATURN V REPLICA exploded simultanously. Fortunately, the game was running so slow at that point that I had time to jam the abort button about a dozen times before I saw the LES activate. I was practically holding my breath as I watched the command pod clear the rapidly expanding cloud of shrapnel and burning rocket fuel. In fact, I cut it so close that the LES sheered off at the last moment, just as it ran out of fuel (half a second or so after activation). Fortunately, the command pod stabilized and the parachutes were undamaged. My crew splashed down into booster bay, unharmed. Not before nearly getting taken out by debris escaping the explosion at a very rapid pace.

This has been one of the most exciting things to happen to me in KSP for some time. I made Jebediah proud!

Edited by tntristan12

I mentioned that I was attempting to carry out this mission a while ago on the forums and people liked the idea. Well, now I've finally got round to finishing it up and WOW was that harder than I expected :P

Essentially, anyone who is familiar with the Outer Planets Mod will know that Tekto is a moon of Sarnus. For those who don't know, it is a Titan analogue (thick atmosphere and low gravity) that orbits a Saturn analogue way out past Jool.

After literal weeks of practice and planning, using 3 consecutive gravity assists and 2 powered slingshots, I took an SSTO to Tekto and back! :D

I recorded the mission and will be making a short video about it very soon similar to a few others on my YouTube channel, if anyone is interested.

Took KTP-44 Mrk 3 on a shakedown cruise following repairs and lighting upgrade - appologies for the quality.. and the moody blues :) 200km trip next weekend to the new outpost

EDIT - fixed quality :D

From 6:27 is the most beautiful sight for a landliner driver like myself..

after a gritty nasty long dangerous trip.. coasting into KSC on dark.. the runway lights always look beautiful and everything feels like home :)

Edited by Overland
Uploaded better video

Took KTP-44 Mrk 3 on a shakedown cruise following repairs and lighting upgrade - appologies for the quality.. and the moody blues :) 200km trip next weekend to the new outpost

From 6:27 is the most beautiful sight for a landliner driver like myself..

after a gritty nasty long dangerous trip.. coasting into KSC on dark.. the runway lights always look beautiful and everything feels like home :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3TiOC3Fej8

nothing wrong with a little moody blues sometimes.

what i will ask you to do is link me that cockpit mod.

nothing wrong with a little moody blues sometimes.

what i will ask you to do is link me that cockpit mod.

Its Sam Halls cockpit mod, sadly he seems to not be around anymore.. but it works fine in .90 its a great cockpit.. you double click the center glass for that center view I had in the video

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66502-Kerbonov-Kn-2-Cockpit-Module

its on curse

it also comes with some really nice micro turbines.. thats what I use as modified alternators (no thrust, just generate power) on the diesels upside down painted black..

its served me better than any other mod so far.. its a wonderful creation I speak highly of..

Its Sam Halls cockpit mod, sadly he seems to not be around anymore.. but it works fine in .90 its a great cockpit.. you double click the center glass for that center view I had in the video

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66502-Kerbonov-Kn-2-Cockpit-Module

its on curse

it also comes with some really nice micro turbines.. thats what I use as modified alternators (no thrust, just generate power) on the diesels upside down painted black..

its served me better than any other mod so far.. its a wonderful creation I speak highly of..

Awesome. Thank you

I am a bit saddened to know real world tilt rotors aren't as maneuverable or combat effective (currently) as those super planes depicted in Dale Brown's Hammerheads and Air Battle Force.

So I took my old tilt rotor prototype out for a spin and tried an aerobatic routine just to see how soon it would snap a wing.

To my surprise, it has become the best ever aerobatic VTOL I've ever built, thanks in part to absurd amounts of thrust vectoring from the tilt-jet/prop nacelles. I can't decide whether to call this a tilt rotor or tilt jet because it's a motor-jet engine setup! Piston engine coupled to the front of a jet like those crazy Russian hybrid propulsion aircraft from 1946!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M48M2NDe0c

In case anyone wants to take a look at the craft file, it's on KerbalX

http://kerbalx.com/pandoraskitten/XV-1B%20Hummingbird%20Tilt%20Rotor

Continued on my all-SSTO space program. Today I switched out a badly-made arm for a more effective one.

VFeCe6Y.jpg

QzPhwCL.jpg

uF3uleA.jpg

qZ7I6uE.jpg

It should now be able to grab approaching modules and stick em where they need to go, then "walk" across the station to wherever it's needed next.

Ran a mirror of the Viking program in RSS with signal delay. Spent 5 game months aerobraking (DRE and a craft unable to close its solar panels/comms). Managed to squeeze in a Phobos flyby on the Lander. Got my orbiter into 400x400 for RADAR mapping, Lander prepping for a descent to Valles Marineris on chutes and RCS.

Trying to come up with a flight computer profile that will make a landing possible without any throttling engines and a 12 minute delay... (heavens-praise RealChute and pre-arming).

Ped8bvV.jpg

Built a new booster bug for 4404 and finalized her design.. its off to bombo outpost then onwards to the snow regions on weekend if all goes to plan :)

also re-uploaded my video of her shake down and test run a few pages back.. discovering the clear but not astronomically big setting in VLC

Well after getting sick of crashing due to out of memory, took the plunge and installed Ubuntu onto my laptop.. Took 2 days of messing around but the the optimus interface on my laptop (could kill the person who decided teaming gpu's was smart) and finally got KSP Running again... Copied my Mods and save from the windows partition and it worked.. mostly... Killed 5 Kerbals and cost me a heap of moeny from expired contracts due to mod oddities.. but its behaving now and the game is runnning at 3751Mb used and no sign of a crash after over an hour of play.. yay...

Designed, built, and launched the Duna 8 mission. Here it is still attached to the main rocket of my Draco launcher, it still has fuel in it so I'm going to use it for the interplanetary burn before getting rid of it.

Duna%208_zpspki7u7z9.jpg

8 Kerbals to Duna, each in a single-seat lander based on my robotic probes. The ship itself is based on my probe transporter (4 probes)

Edit: and it appears Mechjeb calculated the Dv wrong...going for it anyway because that's what Jeb would do.

Edit 2: Another setback, for some reason my Duna escape turned into an 0.568 eccentric orbit around Kerbin...lol, oops. eh I'll send them to Minmus instead.

Edited by Draconiator