What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

15 minutes ago, Kerbol Macrosystems said:

Last weekend I started a new save. I told myself I was minimizing reverts, a first for me. I get am early contract to test the BACC at the launchpad, and a parachute contract. Jeb goes in a Mk 1-2 on top of the BACC, line it with chutes, and off we go. I know if I go straight up I'll re-enter to fast to survive, so I pitch right off the launchpad into horizontal-ish flight. Atmospheric heating started up way too quickly, so I popped the chutes. About a second later the heat gauge popped up, and a second after that I had a RUD. Does anyone know how long kerbals stay MIA for? 

Should be back in a few days. After Valentina accidentaly turned into fishfood in a freak parachuting accident, they put her back together within a week.

Not directly KSP related, but I did finish installing a bunch of new computer components last night.  Hopefully this means I can dock ships of increasingly high part counts without slowing my framerate to a chug.

Installing those meant my computer was half disassembled and uninstalled the last few days, so I have been missing my KSP fix.  Looking forward to getting back into it.  

Spent a lot of time calculating a maneuver that would give me an encounter with Moho. This was my second probe, after I discovered that the fist launch (sent up a week in advance) had useless oxidizer in the tanks for a "Nerv" engine. I still have to deorbit the failed craft, or crash it into the Mun, so there are no dangerous radioactive leaks in atmo. 

Anyway, I was halfway through the burn and I wanted to see how it was going on the map. Accidentally pressed "stage" and sent half my dV into eternal Solar orbit.

Still have more than enough for a flyby, but forget about an orbit around Moho with 1k dV (is what I should have after a hard correction maneuver midway there). And now I am upon my Eve transfer and haven't even designed a craft to take some kerbals there (no landing planed).  

8 hours ago, DunaRocketeer said:

Last night I finished the testing of my Duna cargo transport system. I launched two of them (one manned, the other a tanker variant) and successfully docked them in LKO. The tanker offloaded its propellant and returned to Kerbin. The crewed DCT then executed a burn all the way to the edge of Kerbins SOI to simulate aerobraking from interplanetary velocities. The vehicle remained stable throughout, and after the second aerobreaking pass it retroburned to a landing near KSC.

Now to fill out the cargo bays with all the various equipment. I've already fitted out the engineers ship with a mk1 pod, life support cans, KIS tools, ramps, and my Mun rover which has been repurposed to be a tractor by tweakscaling a grabber to the front. There's three other ships to fill out, too. All the ground based equipment will be tested on Kerbin before it gets hauled into space, but I'm hoping that won't take too long.

So that's it, after all the wonky re-entries, fuel depletion, exploding decouplers, broken landing legs and wobbly landing gear, I think it's ready. Whilst it's small potatoes compared to other vehicles I see on here, if it works it'll be the largest thing I've ever landed on another world.

Nice! Reminds me of my own LackLuster, but significantly expanded. Chemical SSTOs sure are fun! :)

19 hours ago, Billygoat_J said:

I love this spaceplane and am trying to replicate it, but failing miserably. I'm getting nowhere near orbit. I'm guessing the part behind the service bay is an Engine Precooler? Are there any fuel tanks under the wings? Also, are your RCS thrusters a mod? I've seen those before, but can't replicate them with RV-105's and Place-Anywhere's as I expected.

When it comes to spaceplanes, I'm a complete noob, so I could be missing something extremely obvious.

I think it is very much a non-obvious solution, the magical RAPIERspike™. What you think is a precooler is in fact a liquid fuel tank, and on the rear node of the RAPIER he must have added a shock cone intake to have a ridiculously low drag, and more than enough air. The RCS five-ways can be done with place-anywheres on top of RV-105's, it just takes some fiddling with gizmos. Zoom al the way in and use the smooth setting.

And for my part, today I confirmed that KIS and KAS are two essential mods. This is FUN!

B8U0Wp4.png

377PQ1P.png

Rune. Wait till I do the same thing on the E-Class I'm wrangling into the equatorial plane...

Edited by Rune

27 minutes ago, Rune said:

I think it is very much a non-obvious solution, the magical RAPIERspike™. What you think is a precooler is in fact a liquid fuel tank, and on the rear node of the RAPIER he must have added a shock cone intake to have a ridiculously low drag, and more than enough air.

No, you are wrong.  I would prefer if you didn't make wild unfounded accusations of me abusing game physics.

Edited by Bill Zarr

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Nice! Reminds me of my own LackLuster, but significantly expanded. Chemical SSTOs sure are fun! :)

I think it is very much a non-obvious solution, the magical RAPIERspike™. What you think is a precooler is in fact a liquid fuel tank, and on the rear node of the RAPIER he must have added a shock cone intake to have a ridiculously low drag, and more than enough air. The RCS five-ways can be done with place-anywheres on top of RV-105's, it just takes some fiddling with gizmos. Zoom al the way in and use the smooth setting.

And for my part, today I confirmed that KIS and KAS are two essential mods. This is FUN!

B8U0Wp4.png

377PQ1P.png

Rune. Wait till I do the same thing on the E-Class I'm wrangling into the equatorial plane...

I've done that before.  It's awesome.

1 hour ago, Bill Zarr said:

No, you are wrong.  I would prefer if you didn't make wild unfounded accusations of me abusing game physics.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Hold your horses! No "accusation" intended. I have (and will continue to do so) sometimes used that technique. Mostly, because I can, but also because this, being a single player game, is a game that is best played however the individual players wants to play. That, and even tough I checked to see if you had already replied, but I must have glossed over your explanation. And hey, if you manage to "abuse game physics", by all means, post your exploits. I was in the original Kraken Drive design frenzy, and it was something to behold ;)

Rune. Some feathers are easily ruffled, it seems. Sorry!

Edited by Rune

1 hour ago, Bonafire said:

During a routine "recruit more test pilots from LKO" mission, I stopped to consider the circumstances, and wondered, what the Kraken happened here?

Did this guy just strap one too many boosters to his truck?

65q8rVd.png

In fairness, it is a very Kerbal truck.

Since Billygoat_J  expressed an interest here's an album of the SSTO spaceplane. It's just a basic, simple spaceplane. The most exciting bit of part clipping is the ladder. The service bay contains 4x Z-100 batteries, a FL-R10 RCS fuel tank,  An OCTO2, 2x SP-L panels and communotron 16.

1 hour ago, Bill Zarr said:

Since Billygoat_J  expressed an interest here's an album of the SSTO spaceplane. It's just a basic, simple spaceplane. The most exciting bit of part clipping is the ladder. The service bay contains 4x Z-100 batteries, a FL-R10 RCS fuel tank,  An OCTO2, 2x SP-L panels and communotron 16.

I have to say, that is an excellent looking light passenger spaceplane.  It looks pretty easy to fly compared to some of the designs I have seen, really low drag profile probably means an efficient ascent.  

7 hours ago, Bill Zarr said:

Thanks for all the extra documentation! I got it to work as advertised. :) 
I did end up trying a similar configuration yesterday with the fuel tank and radial intakes rather than pre-cooler, but evidently my problem there was the angle of ascent. I was trying to head up at closer to 30 degrees (again, serious lack of experience). 

23814322586_ca30a7fe9a_c.jpg
Following the tweaks made possible by your info, Katxie successfully piloted and docked a very sleek looking Zarr spaceplane with the much more rickety Jeb's Truckstop. Given the Truckstop's de-facto primary mission of LKO Kerbal rescue (it's picked up at least seven wayward Kerbonauts by now), it looks like I now have a more efficient way of getting them back home.

Edited by Billygoat_J
wording

Broke the game while testing an ssto

EgG1Ep0h.png

This is the finished version. 870dv left when in a 81 x 81 orbit.

We really need an mk1 cargo bay of some sort, because this is ultimately a pretty useless ssto. It performs well enough, but there's no practical way to get any sort of cargo into orbit with an mk1 spaceplane.

... and I'm too inept to fit a small satellite in the service bay.

6Cox89Kh.png

Edit: making the satellite aerodynamic is one way to solve the issue of course.

7IPRUZCh.png

Edited by McFarnsworth

12 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

That cockpit, what pack is it from? For a while now I've been looking for something like this.

@Tex_NL: Because you asked: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/991/Kerbal%20Planetary%20Base%20Systems If you are using CKAN, it is listed as Planetary Base Systems. It has a bunch of new parts that I have found make great multi-purpose parts, just as KSP should be in my opinion. Enjoy and make sure you share your creations - as I would be interested in seeing what you do with these parts!

Edited by adsii1970

14 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Tex_NL: Because you asked: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/991/Kerbal%20Planetary%20Base%20Systems If you are using CKAN, it is listed as Planetary Base Systems. It has a bunch of new parts that I have found make great multi-purpose parts, just as KSP should be in my opinion. Enjoy and make sure you share your creations - as I would be interested in seeing what you do with these parts!

I could be mistaking but I am pretty sure it is not. I've been using KPBS for quite a long time now but I've NEVER seen that cockpit. I am also 99.9% sure I've got the latest version of KPBS installed.

And no, I do NOT use CKAN! Not now, not ever!

8 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

I could be mistaking but I am pretty sure it is not. I've been using KPBS for quite a long time now but I've NEVER seen that cockpit. I am also 99.9% sure I've got the latest version of KPBS installed.

And no, I do NOT use CKAN! Not now, not ever!

@Tex_NL: You are correct; I just loaded the craft onto KerbakX to find out which part pack the cockpit came from. After much tearing apart, it actually came from the updated pack, SXT - Lack's Stock Extension. I hope it helps!

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Tex_NL: You are correct; I just loaded the craft onto KerbakX to find out which part pack the cockpit came from. After much tearing apart, it actually came from the updated pack, SXT - Lack's Stock Extension. I hope it helps!

@adsii1970: Thanks. I was just about to reply to this thread again myself when I noticed your post.
I had downloaded and installed KBPS again. I've gone through the partlist at least three or four times just to make sure. It was not there.

I've been messing around with rovers, but I'm currently writing a plugin which is a  HELL OF A LOT of code.  

7YPPe0I.png

Look at the size of my scroll bar.  FUN! FUN! FUN!  That's also only a small bit of it.  I still have three more systems to fully implement.  The majority of this is the configs.