What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've landed at all the anomalies on Mun & Minmus. Sent mapping satellites to many of the planets and their moons. Found several anomalies on Kersex orbiting Kronkus. Planning to go investigate. It is an atmosphere body. Thought I better learn to fly planes first by finding Kerbin anomalies. Put together a simple jet using a panther. Easy takeoff. Arrived at the island runway before I knew it (in the dark). Tried to land. Tried. Hit the water and exploded. Tried twice more. Never came close to the island runway but was able to pull up. Decided I stink at landing. Headed back to KSP and decided to let MJ land. The plane headed straight between the VAB and the SPH (excuse me, but the runway is way over there), hit the ground and exploded before I could pull up. The cockpit sailed way past the runway and was destroyed. Apparently landing is hard. This may take a really long time.

Landing is quite hard, probably one of the hardest thing to do along with docking in orbit. Keep practising! You'll get it!

(BTW, I still fart up landing a bit, and I've been flying planes since 0.18.4!!)

10 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Glad you like them! I may set up a showcase thread at some point and put some of my more interesting designs up on KerbalX, although I'd like to test them in 1.0.5 and possibly make de-modded versions (I mostly use mods to reduce part-count on things like RCS and ladders, so it shouldn't be too hard) before I do that. 

3jmI57L.jpg?1

Having completed its mission in low Eve orbit, SS Phoebe headed for Gilly to refuel and pick up a couple of contracts. 

LiTMCax.jpg?1

Conveniently, Gilly was near periapsis so the transfer only took about a day and a half. 

FitRTNV.jpg?1

Phoebe stopped to pick up Ansa Kerman (formerly of Jeb's Junkyard), who had somehow managed to get herself stuck in a Mk 2 cockpit in high Gilly orbit. Apparently Jebediah is running his own space program completely independent of my one, may have to ask him about that when he's back from his tour at Base Ardan. 

rPENctX.jpg?1

Rescue done, Phoebe landed at the Gilly mining rig to refuel and drop off the rig's temporary crew. It's not meant to be permanently manned, at least not at first, but it'll need a crew to refuel the Aqualung tankers for the duration of the current Eve expedition. It might get expanded into a proper base in the future. 

Please  share them on Kerbal X when you have tested them  , i'd love to fly some of them , they look fantastic

Sent the LEK to the Mun

http://s016.radikal.ru/i335/1602/f6/c561205ce113.png

http://s012.radikal.ru/i320/1602/6d/49017cc88f55.png

http://s017.radikal.ru/i431/1602/9b/980e83bff924.png

Establishing base on the sunrise!

Left to right: Rodon (pilot, planted the flag), Patdock (engineer, checking the ascent stage), Decie (engineer, checking the base module), Billy-Bobdun (scientist, already climbing into the lab).
Not on the picture: Maxvy (pilot, piloting the orbital craft)

A rather famous crew: Patdock flew a very overengineered  prototype spaceplane in this video, the rest of the crew got STS challenge awards for flying Buran. They really deserve a vacation on the Mun (and for a change with something that has no wings).

People complain that launching spaceplanes takes too much time.
I don't get it, just took three of them to orbit in four minutes. :sticktongue:

ECAtatH.png

Now if my Elcano-team runs out of gas, a refuel drone can land next to them before they finish their lunch.

1 hour ago, Evanitis said:

People complain that launching spaceplanes takes too much time.
I don't get it, just took three of them to orbit in four minutes. :sticktongue:

ECAtatH.png

Now if my Elcano-team runs out of gas, a refuel drone can land next to them before they finish their lunch.

Planes as fins, nice!

I fixed one of the many problems plaguing my fledgling Minmus mining operation. I sent a truss system with docking ports, giant solar panels to fix the power issues, and all kinds of science experiments because I royally screwed up with the lab and hardly included any experiments.

I also did two orbital rescues. The first I'm proud of because I got the rendezvous in just a couple orbits, and the second I'm proud of because it took place high over Kerbin. The target was going to crash into the Mun in just 5 days if I failed. But I didn't fail. So yay.

6 hours ago, moogoob said:

Planes as fins, nice!

I have to add that I'm not that ingenious... well, not this time anyways. I saw a similar picture around here.

1 hour ago, Jolly_Roger said:

Testing... Just lots more testing.

[pic]

JR

That's so lovely.. VTOL-SSTO? Has to build one too..

What's the payload (besides itself of course)?

11 hours ago, Corscaria said:

Got tired of trying to build a Stanford Torus in orbit and it wobbling apart, So I build one in the hanger and launched it as a single piece!!! Now I'm building a much bigger one....1i7F3FAV.png

Just a FYSI ( For your Scientific information )

These sorts of space stations are quite a thumbs up for reality as when spun around, it creates artificial gravity. Meaning longer holidays in space!!

Finally getting started on my first Eve return attempt.

9VO2gdv.jpg?1

With the Eve fleet all safely in orbit, the ascent vehicle went down first, unmanned. It made a safe landing in the equatorial midlands at around 1,200 meters elevation, about 30 kilometers short of its intended target (which was in the highlands at over 2,000 meters), but still a decent site. In principle the ship can take off from sea level, but the extra elevation should give it a bit more margin for error.

lj7AgV0.jpg?1

The mining rover was next, also unmanned; it landed under parachutes about 15 kilometers short of the ascent vehicle.

qyh2mRY.jpg?1

Last was the heavily-instrumented hab module, which separated from the Constant in low Eve orbit, fired its retro-rockets, and descended through the atmosphere for a landing about 5 kilometers away from the ascent vehicle.

JqnQy8i.jpg?1

Engineer Dottie: first Kerman on Eve!

19 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Finally getting started on my first Eve return attempt.

9VO2gdv.jpg?1

With the Eve fleet all safely in orbit, the ascent vehicle went down first, unmanned. It made a safe landing in the equatorial midlands at around 1,200 meters elevation, about 30 kilometers short of its intended target (which was in the highlands at over 2,000 meters), but still a decent site. In principle the ship can take off from sea level, but the extra elevation should give it a bit more margin for error.

lj7AgV0.jpg?1

The mining rover was next, also unmanned; it landed under parachutes about 15 kilometers short of the ascent vehicle.

qyh2mRY.jpg?1

Last was the heavily-instrumented hab module, which separated from the Constant in low Eve orbit, fired its retro-rockets, and descended through the atmosphere for a landing about 5 kilometers away from the ascent vehicle.

JqnQy8i.jpg?1

Engineer Dottie: first Kerman on Eve!

I have a few things to say about this post...

1.) In the 4th image, how are you going to get back up?

2.)In the 3rd image, why are you thrusting INTO  eves atmosphere? It's already deadly enough. Rookie tip no. #48: When entering atmosphere, Retrograge.  Not prograde. Also, It's not a good idea to have Sepatrons right next to solar panels. Unless you turned on cheats, go for it! 

3.)In the 2nd image, I see you have a lot of ore scanners ( 8 ) Oh. Sorry.

They are a.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S.

Ok. I think that's it...

No it's not.

Why do you need ore tanks? I don't see any drills.

Why is Enginner dot the the first Kerbal on Eve? Bru? Usually, Jebbo is. He was the first Kerbal on...

Moho, Dres, Gilly, Eeloo, Laythe, The Mun, Minmus, Bop, Val, Duna...

That's it.

But you are really not fit for this. I mean, I and more that happy then writing you a "How to play KSP For Dummies 101." Plz. The thing is, in real life, you would always have your pilot go down if it was a one manned capsule. I am just saying for future references that next time, kick everyone out and shove Jebediah Kerman in. Who cares if he's claustrophobic? Also, I can see you're using some sort of mod to change the texture of the Kerbal in the photo. 

( Don't answer that. It;s a trick question. A. Astronaut complex does care. ) 

In the 1st image, why do you have your A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. Deployed on the accent?  You usually have it on the decent. 

Dude.

You really need to make sure everything is perfect  before you press F1. Otherwise, you get posts like these.

Other than that, the only Pro I have for you is that you did a really good job.

P.S. Nose cones work on eve.

Dr. K Kerbal

:cool:

P.P.S: Nose cones work on Eve.

Edited by Dr.K Kerbal
More text

One of my recently-added friends on Steam saw that I was playing KSP and asked if they could drop in and watch me play via stream.  I had never done that before, so I let them in.  Played around with modular surface base pattern (still tweaking it) then did a rescue mission from Minmus orbit.  My audience said they had never been past Minmus before, and asked if I used MechJeb.  When I told them that I have never used any mods, they told me that my manual piloting was hardcore. 

That made me happy.  :cool:

11 minutes ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

I have a few things to say about this post...

2.)In the 3rd image, why are you thrusting INTO  eves atmosphere? It's already deadly enough. Rookie tip no. #48: When entering atmosphere, Retrograge.  Not prograde.

3.)In the 2nd image, I see you have a lot of ore scanners ( 8 ) Oh. Sorry.

They are a.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S.

Ok. I think that's it...

No it's not.

In the 1st image, why do you have your A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. Deployed on the accent?  You usually have it on the decent. 

Dude.

You really need to make sure everything is perfect  before you press F1. Otherwise, you get posts like these.

Other than that, the only Pro I have for you is that you did a really good job.

P.S. Nose cones work on eve.

Dr. K Kerbal

:cool:

You.....might want to actually read what he posted? In order:

That's the ascent vehicle landing, the lander firing retro rockets to slow it down (nobody said the shield has to be first once you're slow enough), and, again, that's not the ascent stage. That's the lander.

21 minutes ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

With the ascent vehicle. It's landing in the first image, not taking off.

2.)In the 3rd image, why are you thrusting INTO  eves atmosphere? It's already deadly enough. Rookie tip no. #48: When entering atmosphere, Retrograge.  Not prograde.

It is facing retrograde. It fired its retrorockets, then turned around for entry.

Again, it's landing, not taking off. The airbrakes were used to stabilize it through entry, descent, and landing; they will not be used on the ascent.

Why is Enginner dot the the first Kerbal on Eve? Bru? Usually, Jebbo is. He was the first Kerbal on...

Had to be an engineer to hook up the mining rover to the ascent vehicle, not to mention repairing potential blown tires on the rover. Believe me, Dottie is just as BadS as Jeb. There's a reason she was picked for this mission.

Edited by Hotaru

COOL! So some-one from SQUAD saw you play KSP? Boy oh boy would I be happy.

4 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

With the ascent vehicle. It's landi

5 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

With the ascent vehicle. It's landing in the first image, not taking off.

It is facing retrograde. It fired its retrorockets, then turned around for entry.

Again, it's landing, not taking off. The airbrakes were used to stabilize it through entry, descent, and landing; they will not be used on the ascent.

Than you're really wasting fuel there.

Oh. 'cause usually when you re-enter an atmosphere, the heat shield faces retrograde so...

Ok.

Testing out my science-lab-base-greenhouse-spaceship-mining-rig contraption on the Mun. Not that unusual of a thing, but most flying bases aren't built out of specialized base-building parts...

A5qM12R.png

It has about 1600 d/v when fully fueled, which it will be after a few days of processing raw Munolith. In the meantime, these two Kerbals can enjoy their much nicer accommodations than the original munar explorers, while working on... nothing, because I already got most of the science from the Mun. Why did I build this thing again? Oh, right, Eeloo or something.

If you're wondering how the hell this thing flies, it's got an engine next to each landing leg--and thanks to obsessively precise balancing, the whole thing can hover up off the ground before igniting the Skipper at the back to fly away to greener grayer pastures. In theory, at least. It landed itself here just fine, but many virtual Jebs died in the testing process...

Also, it looked pretty ridiculous on the launchpad. Much fairing, wow.

JuujJkH.png

Edited by kotomikun

3 hours ago, RA3236 said:

9HuuDbL.png

That's awesome!!!

Ive been messing around with passenger planes for the past week (AKA a wing hits the VAB at 300m/s head on and survives).

Cool!  I've got some people helping me out with some "Pirate Tech" that can do some pretty amazing things...  This one is destined to be a sort of aircraft carrier - in space.

gY6sO97.png

JR

3 hours ago, Evanitis said:

I have to add that I'm not that ingenious... well, not this time anyways. I saw a similar picture around here.

That's so lovely.. VTOL-SSTO? Has to build one too..

What's the payload (besides itself of course)?

It runs on a combination of rocket fuel and antimatter (Pirate Tech), and has an ISRU on board I'm still working on the rest of the payload...

JR 

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Murdered some Kerbals.  Quite unintentionally - as always!  Used a quick load so no reverting, which I guess is a "proper" way to play.  Only I totally underestimated the reentry speed and how little I could slow it...  Bye Jeb, Bill and Seanbean, err I mean Seanbur.  Space program careers aren't meant to be 100% successful all the time....

And found this as excellent Kerbal-ing music.  https://youtu.be/j4ZPMC9ofmk.  A band called Seas of Years.  "Post-rock".

EDIT: This actually is the first time I've had a decent go since the 1.0.5.  Loving the new cockpit models.  Floating in space , those glow-lights make me feel like my Kerbals must be cosy and having a great adventure.  Til they burn and smash into the sea at >300m/s, that is.

Edited by Doslidnyk