What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

15 minutes ago, Fury1SOG said:

Supply chain in Duna orbit almost complete:

wBjmqJe.jpg

ps. Could someone recommend a good jump drive mod?

I'm playing with ESLD Jump Beacons, which is a nice and very well thought through mod, but unfortunately not really maintained anymore :( It's compatible with 1.0.5. though.

Question to you: which atmosphere mod are you using? It looks absolutely fantastic.

Today, I successfully docked my mothership to my landers in LKO and am now ready to make my way to Jool and attempt the Jool 5 Challenge. Its taken me hours and hours of testing, tweaking, redesigning,  testing, hair pulling, testing (you get my drift) but now the hard work begins! Wish me luck.....I think I'm gunna need it ;)

10 minutes ago, DaMaster_Architect said:

I'm playing with ESLD Jump Beacons, which is a nice and very well thought through mod, but unfortunately not really maintained anymore :( It's compatible with 1.0.5. though.

Question to you: which atmosphere mod are you using? It looks absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendation! I understand that you need to change the models in ESLD in order for it to work with 1.0.5. Which models are you using?

I'm using Scatterer v0.0235 for the atmospheric effects. (also PlanetShine and EVE)

Months ago, I landed a top heavy lander on Dres with a crew of one. The lander being top heavy, it ended up upside down when it tumbled during landing.

So today, my rescue ship finally made it to Dres and, after rescuing another kerbonaut stranded on the surface (that one, for a contract), I sent it into a suborbital hop towards my original stranded kerbal.

The rover made it right to the stranded lander.

2yorbs6.jpg

11av1go.jpg

And it's now out of fuel.

Time to design the rescuer's rescue!

Last couple real-life weeks have been pretty busy, some good stuff and some less good but all of it conspiring to keep me from playing KSP. Still slowly making progress though.

b7a1hBb.png?1

SS Valerie departed the Jool system on a two-year transit back to Kerbin.

ptR6YWI.png?1

Sungrazer 1 finally reached its periapsis and returned near-Sun data. It reached an altitude of about 678,000 kilometers before overheating.

ZznopTc.png?1

An unmanned mining rig completed my first landing on Dres in advance of a manned mission still a few weeks out. During descent, it happened to get a good "family portrait" view of the entire solar system. Bottom to top--Dres (obviously), Jool, Eeloo (hard to see, it's above and to the right of Jool), Eve, Kerbol, Moho, Kerbin, and Duna.

ZHzp4fX.png?1

A new light Spacebus, Wanda, went up from KSC on a boosted RLV-330.

7BuKvTY.png?1

SS Hornblower arrived at Moho after an hour-long orbital insertion burn and several more burns to circularize. In spite of all the radiators, its engines were pretty near to overheating by the end of the burn.

I've been doing an ongoing series of landing missions to Minmus (Helios missions) whilst the engineers back on Kerbin develop improved lifter stages for the early-middle-career game.  Helios II saw a next generation lander.  The interstage was spent upon reaching orbit, so a refueling mission topped it off - it was vastly overfueled for a minmus intercept, but it had docking ports so it was decided to leave it in a stable Minmus orbit for use in later missions.  Unfortunately, roughly the time Helios II lander set down, it was realized that contact with the orbital interstage was lost.  (In reality the game labeled it debris and I didn't realize it, so I assumed it hadn't been in a stable orbit.)  Due to the lack of a fuel reserve, the mission's additional landing sites were scrubbed and the lander's remaining fuel used to return Dr. Halburry Kerman home.

Helios III was on the drawing board when telescopes spotted the H2 interstage still in orbit around Minmus; it had not crashed after all.  The next mission's launch was slated for a planar intersection which also saw the H2 interstage's polar orbit aligned with Kerbin.  It would be the first orbital rendezvous around Minmus.

Helios III also featured a lander that entirely lacked Kerbin reentry capability - instead, a small kerbin return capsul would be used, and the lander would be available in Minmus orbit for future missions.  The new lander and interstage would be launched atop the new Orator II lifter stage, the first launcher to bring the LFO booster concept to bear.  The Reliant boosters also fed the center stage's Skipper engines until burnout.

ZIuHjAE.jpgBeautiful sunny weather.  Launch conditions could not have been more perfect.

Gildous Kerman had one of the smoothest launches on record.  Launching into an inclined orbit less than a degree off Minmus', and lighting the orbital engine for Minmus intercept not four minutes after a minor plane correction, everything seemed almost too good to be true.

And so far, Helios III's mission has been smooth sailing.

q0SlTCN.png

H2 Interstage was intact and full of fuel.  Rendezvous was made slowly, but without significant difficulty.  And Gildous' inspection revealed a minor electrical problem that resulted in the signal loss during Helios II's mission.

snYnCkg.png

The H2 Interstage will serve as a waystation of sorts for fuel, and a home base for the kerbin return capsul.

Helios III's mission is now in a period of waiting until the polar orbit brings them near the next planned landing site. Back home, directors debate whether a Minmus base is a worthy endeavor, or whether an interplanetary mission is more compelling.

Full album.

Edited by Kyrt Malthorn

I decided to bulk launch some segments of my new station. All went well, but as I was removing the second segment from the delivery vehicle I'm thing "I know what I'm doing, I know what I'm doing." And then I catch the segment on a vernier thruster that was sticking out, and starting spinning the two craft around until they finally separated. No harm was done (thankfully), but it was a bit entertaining.

I was going to do something else. Read a book. Go out with a camera...

But I seem to have made another rocket.
Err, actually, I was so impressed with my old Firebrand that I modernized it. Same treatment I gave Ikaros and kronos. A Mk3 Cockpit.

screenshot3903jg.jpg

Here Jebediah is testing the revised ladder arraignment. You also see the new rover to the left. The 'cycle' rover.

I launched Welcome Station, really my first foray into station launches.  USI LS, and some of the fun station packs.  Consists of mono-prop + electricity service modules on each end with a 2 5-way RCS blocks on each, followed by a Mk-2 landing can for the pilots, a moble processing bay, a 6-port connector with 2 docking ports and 2 attachment points for future expansion, then an observation bay and a hitch hiker.

Full capacity is 12 kerbals, but I'm keeping 4 at a time in the station on a 1 year rotation to give them some "living space".  

Launched a 745t rocket into a 250x250 orbit in 2 stages, because... well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay, really it's because I've spent the last few weeks focusing on really efficient crafts with minimal part counts. I felt like I needed a re-Kerbalization, so I put together a Duna lander+buggy+science lab lander all-in-one launch vehicle.

So in my 3.2x scale KSP Save I finaly decided to launch a Duna mission, named ExoDuna (Most of you should get this reference).

The mission went surprisingly well and everything worked as it should have on the first try!

View of the launch vehicle I used, the transfer stage and orbiter/lander are all inside the fairing of the rocket.

The second picture is the view of the lander up into the sky from where it currently sits, I must say that I am quite pleased with the results :)

Next up, manned missions!

Edited by TheVillain

Dipped one of my spaceplane prototypes in Eve's atmosphere for some easy Eve high atmosphere EVA reports and science.

GVCaYc35.jpg

Also mined Minmus some more.  Still trying to perfect the look of a mobile refinery.

p6qozEd2.jpg

My latest obsession has been SSTOs.  Today, I built my first payload carrying, and my most tight on ∆V SSTO.  When I first made it to orbit, I quickly released the payload, then began to deorbit, then realizing that I still had enough ∆V to shoot for the KSC.  I burned back into the same orbit, and gave my fuel back using HyperEdit.  I can do that, this is only a test.  I actually gave myself less ∆V back than I had before.  I actually stalled right before landing, and it fell right down at 30 m/s, and was completely intact.  I think that this was one of the closest missions I've ever done, because Trajectories lied to me, and I ended up just barely making it to land.

It's payload capacity is < 1.12 tonnes.  The payload had crossfeed off, and the fuel shut off.

So I got my 100t payload to Duna. Tried a few landings, but I miscalculated the amount of parachutes I was bringing down (and also messed up their settings, so I had to frantically change all ~30 chutes' settings in the middle of my descent!), and ended up breaking my lander (science lab and rover landed fine).

I fooled around for a little while, but then I went back to the VAB to make a bunch of changes. About 3 hours later, and a lot of frustration with weird glitches in the VAB and staging headaches, I had a much better craft.

Then guess what I did? I deleted my save file because I was going to do the mission again so that I could bring the same Kerbals along. I've gotten into this habit of taking any craft for any big mission I'm planning, and copy-pasting it into the stock VAB ships folder. But tonight, after about 7 hours of playing, I was just totally burnt out and wasn't thinking straight.

So now I have to build all 549 pieces of that craft from scratch.

Below is my most recent mission to Duna/Ike

it consists of:

x 3 interplanetary vehicles 

a reusable lander for both Duna/Ike

an orbital refinery 

Narrow band scanner

M700 scanner 

an unmanned ore carrier

a ground mining base

a return vehicle

I think the design of the X-wing fighter is pretty much set - I just need to tweak the performance, and as always it's stock.  Notice the landing gear - this craft is pure VTOL just like in the movies :cool:

kYjsLd2.png

AwhqjpH.png

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger