What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today in sandbox / stock gameplay with beautification, I am attempting a single-launch-to-Eeloo.  The plan is for Jeb and Bob to travel there, take a minimalist lander to the surface, return to orbit, rendezvous with their spacecraft, and head home at the next launch window.  All with zero ISRU.  This thing was kindof a beast on the launchpad.

Today I managed the launch and initial transfer burn, and to set up a course correction 8 days out at the ascending node which gives me an intercept.

I was able to get my first satellite around kerbin, and the first part to my space station! Sadly both or in horrid orbits, the satellite better than the space station, I have trouble doing orbital maneuvers, above all being able to plane them in the short amount of time given (even though I only got the game today) Im' also having trouble with rocket designs, as I run out of fuel,or i put so much fuel on the rocket is unstable and hard to control.

3 minutes ago, JasmineJas said:

I was able to get my first satellite around kerbin, and the first part to my space station! Sadly both or in horrid orbits, the satellite better than the space station, I have trouble doing orbital maneuvers, above all being able to plane them in the short amount of time given (even though I only got the game today) Im' also having trouble with rocket designs, as I run out of fuel,or i put so much fuel on the rocket is unstable and hard to control.

Welcome to the struggle hah :}

Sent a one way probe to Eve for the science (KAC alarm for fine tuning peripasis), sent two copies of scanning satellites around kerbin and minmus with all the Scansat equipment and the stock surveyor (mun is next), sent a hastly put together Rover to closely scan the densest ore field I can find and discovered that Rovers don't work very well on minimus, and finally built and kerbin tested the manned all in one ore transport/refiner/driller.

Tomorrow I'll launch a quick science expedition (only 10 science away from the SR docking port), launch my ore vessel, start building my fuels depot around minmus, make a copy of my Eve science probe that can land in Duna (and possibly laythe), and possibly start making a mother ship for interplanetary travel

6 minutes ago, JasmineJas said:

Welcome!  And if you're putting space stations up the same day you got the game, you're doing great so far. :)  

Flying Saucers. Again.

This time, instead of fairings, huge batteries, tons of RTGs and huge gyros, I'm using procedural fuel tanks and the unrealistically efficient motors that come with the Deltaglider XR-1. Does anyone know of any more  science-fictioney main engines than these?

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how I can start the gravity turn and still make it into space. This thing has so much sail area you can't start very low or you'll just make a U-turn. At least I'm getting them into space without hyperedit now, so they can leave before they return. ;)

The earliest versions used landing jacks that came with the Space-Y parts pack, but I switched to giant beachball landing gear (from the USI Survivability pack) when I saw how much lighter they would be. I switched back after I figured out that since it bounced every time it loaded, too often, that bounce made the launchpad get all explodey and scrub the launch.

AS-1077_zpsyody8l2h.jpg

More images here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/Flying%20Saucers

Edited by SSgt Baloo

55 minutes ago, JasmineJas said:

Congratulations, you have just passed one of the first critical thresholds for Kerbal space mastery.  :)

Today I planned, built and launched my second manned eve mission ever.

This time a bit simpler and without mechjeb/deltaV readouts. I have absolutely no idea if this will work :D

lOBMkKi.png

Here is the plan:

First the rover will land unmanned and will try to find a nice landing area with some ore around.Then i´ll try to put down the ascent vehicle somewhere near that. The rover has all that ISRU stuff on it and should be able to refuel that launcher. That will most likely take a lot of time, but that´s fine. The crew will follow at the next transfer window. I think this time I´ll send Val to the surface. She and the boys should be back from their Duna Mission just in time. They left Duna orbit yesterday and it´s been a fun and succesful mission :) (with a few moments of terror when I realized that a docking port on the base didnt work)

UJtiIVE.png

Hnn7DGN.png

qy2Frx4.png

Edited by KerrMü

@KerrMü, I have to say that I absolutely love your mothership, habitat, and descent vehicle design.  I can see The Martian influence on them.  I have to say, I never considered using a fairing to build a habitat dome like that before, and now I cannot wait to try and build one myself.  

Edited by Fearless Son

Not exactly today but this is my last ship. A single launch for a complete orbital station around Laythe.
The LaytheStation - LSX

Features:
315 Parts at launch, 164 in its destination
8120.7t at launch, 90.34t in its destination

3/10 crew launched

4 dock & 1 bigdock at the bottom, 1 extra dock in the nose

LOTS of orbital science and LOTS of every fuel-storablestuff
Absurd design

Moved my Space Program infrastructure up a generation.

From this small station with a Mk1 based Kerbin SOI crew shuttle (3 kerbals including pilot, 4000 dV):

S9JcKFZ.png

To this larger station with a Mk2, Nuclear engine based crew shuttle (6 kerbals, 5600 dV):

oKkzwTw.png

Then I upgraded my standard Orbital vehicle from this:

NdZjF4a.png

to this:

TcHdpMB.png

And finally, finished setting up a base on the surface of Minmus with fuel production capability:

LWNhbCt.png

Edit: And posted on the bottom of the page. Again.

Edited by Randazzo

Just one more...

I reduced the diameter from 16.5m to 12.5m. I also topped up the monopropellant tank in the lower half of the disk, and moved the batteries from the end caps to a 12.5m disk sandwiched in between the upper and lower disk halves. I replaced each end cap with a docking port, and replaced the upper disk half (a fuel tank with tanks removed) with a procedural structural part. The windows in the upper hull and crew capsule are meant to imply that there is some living space inside the hull, but are for decorative purposes, only. Too bad they don't glow when you turn on the lights. That would be cool. ;)

They're great space vehicles and landers, but terrible launch vehicles. I had to blast straight up until my apoapsis was about 100km, then wait until I was clear of the atmosphere to take a hard right and start circularizing. If you try to initiate your gravity turn while you are in atmosphere, the drag and barely adequate thrust are not able to gain enough speed to orbit before it becomes a ground-seeking missile. If you do not have ridiculously-overpowered motors, this is a bad idea.

But they're fun. ;)

AS-1191_zpsctwwvwlv.jpg

More here: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SSgtBaloo/slideshow/Flying%20saucers%20-%20part%20II

Edited by SSgt Baloo

Shenanigans were encountered today.

While setting up my first career-mode Duna mission (big project--seven ships), I realized the starbase I had launched didn't meet the contract requirements! (wow u n00b lol get rekt) It only had housing for nine Kerbals, and the contract says twelve Kerbals. This wasn't the actual problem; the n00b starbase was still close to Kerbin, so I turned it around, sent up a recovery ship loaded with parachutes and a Grabbing Unit, SOFT-LANDED A STARBASE RIGHT NEXT TO THE LAUNCH PAD, and recovered the entire cost of the thing. Legit. No hax. Curiously, all this occurred without anykerb at the Space Center so much as blinking twice.......

The problem was, after the landing, I started wondering "what if...." so I saved the game to a backup directory, reloaded the game state before the landing, and skipped the part with the parachutes (as if spaceship crashes at KSC were ever anything unusual to begin with). Oh, and also, just for giggles I opened the cheat menu and turned on "unbreakable joints" and "no crash damage", then aimed the starbase at KSC and opened a soda to watch the fun.

There was no real fun the first time around (yes, I crash-landed the thing twice). Turns out the "unbreakable" joints were not, and the "no crash damage" was not. The starbase exploded pretty much as you would expect when a starbase says hello to the ground at two hundred meters per second. So I loaded again, used the starbase's transit engines (which hadn't been ejected yet) to slow the landing, and......well, this time the results were much more amusing. There was still breakage; the starbase snapped into two sections (unbreakable joints broke), but the bigger section did a thoroughly entertaining macarena until it stabilized.

Point is, the cheats didn't work. The "unbreakable joints" cheat resulted in breaking joints, and the "no crash damage" cheat still resulted in things getting explodey on the first crash.

Am I allowed to cry foul when the cheats don't work???

(sorry, no pictures--I'm saving the pics of these ships for when the fleet is all set to go!)

Thought a bit about a Minmus Rover test rig that involves the rover dragging along a little fuel tank that feeds into an engine on the bottom of the rover. The engine will partially cancel Kerbin's gravity, so I can see how it would act on Minmus. Best part is, it's adjustable, so it can test my Mün rovers as well.

Didn't have time to build it though. The dark forces of homework ensured that. Maybe tommorow...

10 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Poor Chadke...Gene must be paying him through the roof for the craft I have him test...

d65d7ac5004d25639ec8181fba9ee7ea.png

THIS THING is fun to fly, but don't go full throttle.  It has overheating issues.

Good, that kerbals dont have ears...

25 minutes ago, msasterisk said:

Thought a bit about a Minmus Rover test rig that involves the rover dragging along a little fuel tank that feeds into an engine on the bottom of the rover. The engine will partially cancel Kerbin's gravity, so I can see how it would act on Minmus. Best part is, it's adjustable, so it can test my Mün rovers as well.

Didn't have time to build it though. The dark forces of homework ensured that. Maybe tommorow...

Awesome idea! Simple, practical efficient. Thanks for sharing

Thought it would fun to put a crew in orbit with a solid fuel lift stage. Way harder than I expected since you can't throttle down (at least I don't know how). You can limit the thrust and amount of fuel. Tinkered until it seemed okay. Then came figuring out a flight path. Normal sent the craft to extreme Ap. Finally cranked it over about 15 degrees as soon as I cleared the tower. Locked on prograde until the Ap started rapidly moving. SAS off turned horizontal - it was most of the way there anyway. The tiny spark engine circularized. Sadly, it used every drop of fuel in the process. Sorry guys and gals but you did it in the name of science... What? No, there is no RCS. Home? Uhhmm, well... get out and push?