What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Built and tested a SSTO recoverable rocket to handle crew transfers from the ground to Kerbin Stayshun.  It works, but somewhat unstable when the engines are firing, perhaps some tweaking of the gimbals and RCS is in order...

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%208.47.4

Edited by justidutch

Did some science in Duna's southern polar region for a fat contract. Launched a probe to Jool which will net me an even fatter paycheck. Thought about building a fuel farm on Gilly. Do I want to do it with a few autonomous mining/conversion trucks that can launch and land from Gilly orbit, or do I want to make a tank farm with autonomous refueling drones. Decisions, decisions.

Got fed up with this:

26809165363_0dc426604b_b.jpg

Because it ( stage recovery ) just didn't want to recover the carrier and it's hideously expensive.  Yes, I tried FMRS, it didn't give me control of the thing when I loaded the carrier save branch...

Anyway, my tree was a little limited which is what's behind the monstrous contraptions...
27424720115_f4d9efdaea_c.jpg

but :lightbulb: - "let's strap more boost stages on the boost stage!" and so this was born:
27321416482_a59c98ff2e_b.jpg

which was rather lovely to watch on staging:
27385783446_ff3d08088c_b.jpg

so I stretched the spaceplane a bit, stuffed it full of science gadgets & tourists & sent it to Mun:
27424181085_e845914005_b.jpg

All went perfectly until landing, which took 5 attempts... thanks landing gear!

I presume this is a byproduct of DMagic's marvelous science hardware mod and specifically related to the surface-science parts, but last night I had the most electrifying moment of my KSP play.

I am about 1/3 through the tech tree on my first modded career, concentrating on the lower reaches for !Science! without ever yet landing a Kerbal on Mun or Min, when I get a contract that snaps me from the 2am stupor- "investigate possible biological activity on Minmus."

After playing for over a year resigned to the fact that the "search for life" that drives NASA will not feature in this game, this was a stunner of a moment.  Every other contract got instantly set to the back burner.  Definitely a "wow, cool" moment.  :)

Thank you DMagic!

I wrote a config file for CustomAsteroids to make it work with OPM.  It gives you the Jool Family of periodic comets, "Kalley"-type comets, Centaurs scattered throughout the region between Jool and Neidon, KBOs, Plockinos, Detached Objects, Scattered Disk Objects, and Sednoids all out beyond Neidon,, plus the occasional long-period comet from the Oort Kloud,

I consider this effort to be in the same category as Chatterer---useless, perhaps even detrimental to game stability, but still fun.  Getting to most of these icy blobs will take forever and you're not likely to find much Ore in any of them (although if you're into using water and such things, you're in luck), so I doubt they'll get many users, let alone visitors.  But hey, they add some decoration to the outer darkness.

9 hours ago, SpaceKraken said:

I created a super cool space launcher, and launched planes and rover(it crashed), and a space probe into space.

But i don't know how to upload images.

if you upload one image to imgur, you can look into the link options and a link for forums will be there.  Just past that link here, and it will show the image.  If that fails, just get the standard link.

31 days to Duna with an Medusa pulse nuclear 
pS7SeJsl.png
Ship with payload, its an workshop to make parts, the hitchhiker container to fulfill the 5 kerbal requirement for contract, it will later be used on lander to bulk land many kerbals on Ike and Duna.
isfLFdpl.png
Just had to do it as the position was perfect :)
98KTTdul.png

Wanted to use my spare time before Duna encounter, 29 days later, so I sent two newbie guys in a capsule to get some stars. Got to Mun orbit with ease, then flew to Minmus, which took 14 days, finally made a return maneuver. And guess what, Kerbin re-entry starts an hour before Duna 1 reaching new SOI. I don't know what would I do if these two happened at the same time. 

Spent most of today watching Apollo 13 which was damn amazing. (Also, turns out the only thing many people know it is because Tom Hanks is there. Hmph.)

I built a Kawasaki Ki-61 which needs a lot of refinement;

hDdScXs.png

And I also started work on a Saturn V/Skylab replica which has gone well so far. Nothing really frustrating or out of the blue.

KsAVLOE.png

ugaH34D.png

jlIOMuu.jpg

There has been some back-slapping in Mission Control lately, though one corner of the room is slightly subdued...

A long-awaited transfer window to the Eve system finally occurred, signalling the time to plot and perform burns for three ships that were waiting in LKO.  First up was a ship that will fulfil a contract for a station in Gilly orbit: 

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%204.03.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%204.04.2

The burn was successful with a rendezvous imminent, dropping the remains of the booster stage in its beginnings, but upon completion of the manoeuvre the engineers took a look out the window and noticed that the radiators had torn loose, as well as most of the solar panels!  Very unexpected.  The rest of the ship seems intact, but this may severely dampen ISRU capabilities.  It was this ship's team in mission control that weren't in as festive a mood as the rest; in fact they refused to publish any images of the stricken ship.

The second ship to depart was one that will fulfil a 'station in Eve orbit' contract, but then make it's way to Gilly and become the ISRU drill ship.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%207.54.5 

Last was GillySix, a ship piloted by Valentina that will visit Eve, Gilly, Ike, Mün, Minmus and return to Kerbin to complete a rather rich contract.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%208.05.2

The burn was completed with about a third of the Rhino stage's fuel remaining, so it is looking good to be able to complete the mission without refuelling. 

Here are the three ships on their way, departures spaced about 30 minutes apart.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%208.08.5

Was successful in rescuing a Kerbal and his MPL can from the orbit of Minmus.  Instead of using the Claw, I opted to try out KAS features that allowed me to add a docking port, a heat shield (needed 2 Kerbals to do that), parachutes, etc.

Edited by psychogre
learned how to an Imgur album

...today a whole flotilla of infrastructure arrived at Duna.  Lander, station, ISRU, Ike/Duna in-space-only tug/transports, the whole nine yards.

And then I noticed via the tracking station that one crucial part of the ISRU mining base is sitting in LKO, with a maneuver node a couple hundred days in the past....

::facepalm::

(Hey Jeb, you didn't REALLY want to, like, get refueled and come home or anything, did you?  Better hope the snacks hold out until the next window comes 'round.)

5 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Awesome!  A Jap Zero, ( and yeah, I don't know how to spell Kama Kozi. )

Cool looking plane, might be a problem up front there!?

Kamikaze. And yeah, the front end could use some refinement. But great work so far!

5 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Kamikaze. And yeah, the front end could use some refinement. But great work so far!

It looks so much like a Jap Zero. Need to get the mod with the props in it. ( Somebody help me out here )