What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Reaction wheel at the end of a long, heavy stick vs reaction wheel at the middle of a long, heavy stick.  They both breakdanced equally well.

Also, there is a place my Stupid Rover still works -- Minmus.  So, behold the Clown Car:

clowncar.jpg

20 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

Reaction wheel at the end of a long, heavy stick vs reaction wheel at the middle of a long, heavy stick.  They both breakdanced equally well.

Also, there is a place my Stupid Rover still works -- Minmus.  So, behold the Clown Car:

clowncar.jpg

Jeb wants words with me about my definition of "works":

long-fall.jpg

...And seatbelts.

1 hour ago, Corona688 said:

OK, reaction wheels don't appear to work better at the center of mass.

That's a pretty big and unfortunate bug.

The total torque and angular acceleration of the entire craft is independent of reaction wheel positioning. The only positioning question is stress on the joints. And for a large station the optimal (lest wobbly) solution (given the toque-force conversion on module interaction) is to have some torque in the peripheral modules (so they manage their own rotation), but have most reaction wheels in the central module (because its rotation actually gives the linear velocity to the peripheral modules)

18 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

So, supposedly, the landing legs are broken and I shouldn't use them. Am I doing it right?

VkdR6EC.jpg

As far as I know, landing LEGS are fine(I've landed several bases without issue) and WHEELS are bugged.

But that is beautiful.  You're doing it right.

Guest Space Cowboy

Finished the left hand vehicle (day 3 at this point) an orange tank to orbit vehicle, and quickly conceived and built the right one, an Emergency Crew Return vehicle. I have no station yet.

screenshot297_zps7qtny4ij.jpg

3 hours ago, Corona688 said:

As far as I know, landing LEGS are fine(I've landed several bases without issue) and WHEELS are bugged.

Really heavy things can make them clip through the ground. And I think that rig counts as a really heavy thing[citation needed]. But that's the only real trouble with the landing legs that I've had.

Anyway, been working on an Ernus lander. Not sure why I'm bothering, since it's basically Tylo but on fire, but whatever.

On to more successful things! I went to the Mun!

Mun_Surface.jpg

Edited by Brownhair2

No screenshot, but I finished my updated Kerbin space station. I suffered though 8, yes, 8, game crashes today alone trying to complete it. Apparently my build of KSP (Win64) likes to crash hard during staging... which is getting quite old. :angry:

Building an Orbital Bombardment System. My rocket stopped exploding at the start of the gravity turn (and now exploded when I wanted to ditch the first stage) and I was able to conduct a successful suborbital test.

5 hours ago, Corona688 said:

But that is beautiful.  You're doing it right.

Very creative. The cargo bays can be used to store rovers or drills or you can just put additional fuel tanks in them.

Today I decided that drag is merely a symptom of insufficient boosters and the theory of aerodynamic efficiency a hoax perpetrated by "big fairing" to con us all into buying their overpriced pointy bits of metal. As such, I launched a barn door - cunningly disguised as a Minmus mining base - in one shot and landed it on the mint green moon.

Finally got a redesign of the Wanderer that might actually work:

Wanderer_V4.png

forgot to hide CoM and CoL oops

There are, of course, some issues.

1. I forgot to put on an ISRU when I did my test flight. I did pump fuel into the tank I was planning on replacing and locked it off, and it seems it will have 300 m/s left over for landing at Aptur, assuming I get the perfect encounter and don't have to do any correction burns. Yikes.
  2. I haven't added radiators or solar panels yet, which will almost certainly weigh it down.
Edited by Brownhair2

7 hours ago, Corona688 said:

@MiniMatt What is that garden dome thing?

Greenhouse c/o USI Life Support/Kolonization Systems - provides supplies in exchange for fertiliser, "mulch" (aka kerbal droppings), and electricity.

Love the Mun Kow - are you double docking that to (I presume orbital) fuel station? I haven't attempted double docking in 1.1.3 yet (and I was never particularly good at it in earlier versions)

I just like having multiple docking ports around in case one happens to be annoying to manuever to.  Also, it lets me add fuel tanks right above the engines if I have to -- important for weird sideways arrangements like this, where fuel doesn't always flow as you expect.

Edited by Corona688

16 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

Today I decided that drag is merely a symptom of insufficient boosters and the theory of aerodynamic efficiency a hoax perpetrated by "big fairing" to con us all into buying their overpriced pointy bits of metal. As such, I launched a barn door - cunningly disguised as a Minmus mining base - in one shot and landed it on the mint green moon.

Indeed, someone worked out not long ago that aerodynamic dV losses are actually extremely minute compared to gravity losses, like around 1-5% and in values of tens rather than hundreds. That said, I think the tests used a rocket with a pointy nose... but they were done in RSS where it takes much longer to get out of the atmosphere.

Edited by Guest

On 6.8.2016 at 10:13 PM, Sharpy said:

Built a miner/fuel station, and landed it on the Mun (contract).

So, supposedly, the landing legs are broken and I shouldn't use them. Am I doing it right?

VkdR6EC.jpg

I have thought of this but then to shield engines, drills and other stuff during atmospheric reentry,

Moho opperations,  
Initial braking burn outside of Moho SOI, I was coming in at 25 km/s relative with an nuclear pulse engine  and my twr was only 1.5 so I started braking outside, I would just use 20 minutes inside the SOI if not. 
YBgqG2nh.png
Deployed similar configurations before but as Moho has an decent gravity and no low gravity placed to mine I needed to have plenty of rocket fuel aboard who reduced TWR, should used an more powerful transport but its on it way back from Jool.

4D7v4uMh.png
Part decopling, its an LVN based science lander, an small part workshop and an standard base.

nFQdPX9h.png
Base established with the typical confusing flag raising.  

2 hours ago, String Witch said:

Indeed, someone worked out not long ago that aerodynamic dV losses are actually extremely minute compared to gravity losses, like around 1-5% and in values of tens rather than hundreds. That said, I think the tests used a rocket with a pointy nose... but they were done in RSS where it takes much longer to get out of the atmosphere.

Drag losses may not be important efficiency-wise, but they're very important for keeping the correct end pointed towards space.