What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Are you running 1.2? From what I've seen, the autostruts seem to have eliminated the need for KJR in the update. Even big stringy things fly solid as rocks. And fall like them too, but that's usually my fault.

Ive been using autostrut fairly sparingly, but it has made a massive difference to launching heavy, awkward loads.

oIOO55r.png

lYtkXGs.png

Today I successfully tested the use of a replaceable NPU magazine cluster in my "Plicata" asteroid tug. The first picture shows the tug with a cluster loaded, the second shows a cluster being discarded. Thank you @eloquentJane for the suggestion of using SpaceY parts, they vastly simplified the logistics of getting designs tested in the field.

Edited by Odonian
photo clarification

Oh, the distractions...  I keep getting distracted!

2QBfniD.png

Can I get to orbit with this?

2KKFdNZ.png

TlPRh7h.png

6TFQfCH.png

VCK1YSG.png

Reaching 20 km altitude took over an hour of in-game time!

6DTlZqF.png

The balloon popped around 25 km.

5VOAOGy.png

BFKmLcR.png

NWKg319.png

200 km orbit achieved!

u9IClzp.png

NTO94Kp.png

5jnJ4o5.png

Ok, now what was I doing before I got distracted?

I gathered some Math from the game and into a spreadsheet for later use with much thanks to Transfer Window Planner then I went and started building a Hydrofoil based on my science VTOL...which for some reason has locked/invalid parts now. I only added mods so how? :confused:

Anyway, far from perfect this craft quickly gets up to 57m/s and is expected to cover a measly? 91km. The spoiler is Tweakscaled and purely aesthetic.

oRGRaTG.jpg

e04X9ZR.jpg

g4LKGMG.jpg

13 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

This the latest and bestest version yet:

http://imgur.com/a/p2fCg

Good stuff :)  How do you have pitch control without elevons? Also, may or may not work, but tilting the wings up a few degrees can reduce fuselage drag during the ascent and give you a little more delta-v to play with in orbit :) 

Did a rescue contract today.  Going to install KIS/KAS and turn it into the core of my new explorer.  Playing Hard mode career it will probably save me 30k not having to put one into orbit my self.  Now all I need is a Hitchhiker to bolt on to it :D

7hpDEAz.png

Edited by Nich

Just goofing around in sand box. (Waiting for KER & MecJeb to update for D/V read outs)

Trying to find out how many is too many data relay satellites.

screenshot1122_zpsfvpg4gds.png

And stacking the upgraded booster for an upgraded satellite for experiments with gathering....... science.

screenshot1130_zpsbtkklk6d.png

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, Magzimum said:

You think docking in space is hard? Try docking at 2000 m. :(...

...As you get closer, it gets harder...

...Was surprised the big plane even went straight for more than 1 min. :) 

Ah yes, aircraft docking. I've done that... I think a total of 3 times with a rather large tanker aircraft (which had this boom thing hanging behind it with a target on it) and a jet with a claw on the front. It takes a steady hand and plenty of time.

Anyways, last night I started work on an X-15 replica. 7j1LLTl.jpg

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if there's a way to create stock landing skid contraptions.

I've been working more on improving my Concorde replica after I realized its wings had been clipped sometime during my original build.

Spoiler

IQyLevb.jpgPlease note that I don't own the above diagram onto which I pasted my KSP screenie, I just snagged that off Wikipedia.

03A6rCa.jpg

In my career save, I crammed 3 rocketplanes onto a station that masses less than any single one of them, so I could fulfill Kerbodyne's request to put 12 Kerbals on its expanded station. krxkEEE.jpg

Launch my first ever rover and it gets to minmus  absolutely fine. It has a small mono puff engine or something on the top for speeding up. Other than that is a surface ore scanner to set up what will be my first mining base. (at work so dont have picture, literally a structural piece with a puff engine on top, a surface ore scanner and a cockpit with 4 sticky out wheels (the early tech ones with breaks)). 

Somehow this thing lands completely smoothly using that puff engine set up on the top crewed by an engineer so no SAS, meaning lots of 'down down down no up up up left damn it!!!' Anyway it lands on 4 wheels and I take a moment go eat/celebrate/breathe. Return and fire up the puff, this is not kerbin, gravity, so yer I take off, spin around alot and hit a hill, puff first. Puff blows up but everything ele is cool, proceed to spend nearly 3 hours rolling downhill tapping b almost every few seconds (as holding my breaks makes this thing flip over itself and on minmus that means taking off again :D ) to get to the greater flats to realise the surface scanner really didn't tell me much more than my satellite highlighting the ore. 

But a rover landed, that cant be taken away!!!!

Sometimes you get dumb ideas. Sometimes those dumb ideas end up working out.

NGMTPnG.png

If by "working out" you mean making Jeb a parasailer thing that cruises at 35 m/s, of course.

EDIT: Why waste a bad idea? This one cruises at about 95 m/s so is a tad more fuel efficient.

mnQBpdY.png

Edited by moogoob

I sent a simple Munar Lander to the launch pad. Instead of the usual delay as it rolls out, I was immediately visited by my first real Kraken: no control other than taking these beauty shots.

I feel so proud.

screenshot1_zpswicdj9sh.png

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

Good stuff :)  How do you have pitch control without elevons? Also, may or may not work, but tilting the wings up a few degrees can reduce fuselage drag during the ascent and give you a little more delta-v to play with in orbit :) 

I never use them. The v-Tail is enough to get me up there. It's at 45° so covers pitch, roll and yaw. I rotate them more or less if I need more input on one of the other sides.

I am just looking for control going up. Some on the way down. I never could fly a plane around in this game. No matter how many surfaces I put on.

I got loss somewhere in the design. Changed something....Can't achieve orbit well anymore. It seems to be in my flight profile. Flying differently.....somehow. I now need to pitch to 5° after leaving the runway. Never flew that flat before. It's always 15 or 20°.

IDK if I changed the COG, elevator placement or what. Perhaps when I added the parachute and airbrake. Weight and drag? killed everything? Maybe. DK.

I reverted to an earlier ship version and it still cause problem. Did someone update my game version while I wasn't looking? Just kidding. I just don't know what is happening.

Plus I can't re-enter the atmo anymore without exploding....Grrr. Gained Duna, lost Minmus. Get Minmus back lose Kerbin. Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush.

More testing and modifying coming up. I will see if the wing angle-of-incidence can help me put some one more airbrake to get Kerbin back without loosing Minmus. Landed with 18 units of LF last night. 

......Of course I could strap a big booster or refuel in orbit......No. No. No. Stay the course a little longer.

ME

I've been working on a droop nose mechanism for my Concorde replica.

Cruise/parked position:

G4WZnNK.jpg

It still needs the visor, some work on the forward shape, and of course a more complete cover for the mechanism.

Landing position:

1XVlQFX.jpg

Close-up:

BHdHXfb.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't go back to cruise position at the moment because the jacks (landing legs) have a microscopic lever arm to work with. I need to figure out how to fix that. Also the Kerbals' portraits get messed up by the clipped cockpits. I suppose they must do that on my DeHavilland Comet also. Ah well.

I'm slightly worried that moving it in flight will result in it getting ripped off, but I guess I'll have to figure that out later.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Weirdness with picture placement

Started playing with Realism Overhaul ...

1. 1.1.3 for now
  2. using CKAN things installed fairly smoothly
  3. except that for Real Solar System I had to do as a second pass - but once it's in it looks fantastic
  4. 16,921Module Manager patches ...
  5. I included Tantares, Tantares LV,  and RO .craft files - so I could look at/fly a Soyuz launcher
    1. Soyuz-T looks great
    2. it doesn't launch out of the box - 'failed to ignite due to insufficient resources' :(
    3. after playing around I realised that the fuel loading on the tanks didn't include the High Test Peroxide needed for the turbopumps. Real Fuels makes it easy to switch them to the correct proportions (or at least something that lets the engines light. I still haven't figured out the Soyuz orbiter manouver engines - insufficient fuel pressure ...
    4. the LV is very stable in flight - but I have to look up / discover the ascent profile that will put it into orbit
  6. I had included Raidernick's Soviet Rockets, Tantares, & Tantares LV and seemed to have multiple Proton fragments (which I'd expect) which I couldn't' figure out how to put together - which I didn't expect - how hard should it be? and why does a third stage engine only have one attach node (maybe there is some adaptor thingy supposed to go between the tank and engine that is hard to find).
  7. Anyway those two Sov packs didn't include a Briz-M upper stage that I wanted so I tried Insane Druid's Proton-M / Breeze-M
    1. easy to put together
    2. rcs for Briz? the parts are there but worry about that if I can orbit something
    3. has a nice Proton launch pad included
    4. RO worries include ascent path (fail so far) and vapour in the fuel lines on the upper stage

Phm3P26.png

doomed Proton launch - the Cygnus is about 4 ton too heavy ... nice Himalayas, this will give the PRC a scare