What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I finally finished my latest space station. Behold, the KSS Largo:

KSSLargoStation_zps823ed4e0.png

It is the result of 10 separate launches and at least 17 docking operations. The pods on the left are 3-person escape pods, with sepatrons and RCS thrusters to deorbit safely. Evacuation capacity is 12 crew (plus whatever docked auxiliary craft). The station's normal capacity is 8 crew (A set of four Mk2 lander cans aft serve as dormitories, with a hitchhiker can as a lounge/galley) but the station could conceivably accommodate up to 32 personnel - not that one would ever want to pack every available slot with a Kerbal.

The station has a considerable amount of monopropellant and fuel to support interplanetary operations. It orbits at an altitude of 120km, is 232 parts and 160.3 tons fully fuelled.

I got a lot done today.

First I went to get Jeb from his polar orbit

screenshot1_zps0be1d831.png

He was so excited to be back on the ground that he demanded a station to be de-orbited for fun, so we did just that

screenshot3_zpsf0a0e62d.png

screenshot4_zps2e46c55d.png

screenshot5_zps2604c1b7.png

screenshot7_zpsb4e3c2e9.png

He was not thrilled with the boom-boom so he took out a soyuz to see what was up and what orbit would be good for a station that is useable, we all agreed on 250k

screenshot9_zpsad336a61.png

construction begins tomorrow.

EDIT: and I know that I have not dropped the last stage of the soyuz, but they always seem to have fuel left. so I keep them til they are dry. I love the soviet pack it added so much to the game as a whole. The launchers are really versatile so I hardly ever build one anymore just use those.

Edited by fcdrifter13

Have started a series of mini probes based upon the Nova Punch series. Probes with last stage well under a ton. Lander version also under a ton. Very small designs are easy to orbit with fuel to spare.

This made orbit easily with 1/3 fuel to spare on the second stage.

The SAS is needed below the mini tank and rocket as the StayPutNick controller can't stabilize the first stage below it.

s6BBknK.jpg

I finally successfully docked two spacecraft together!

Congrats! The first one is definitely the hardest. The next five will be challenging in their own way as you find ways to optimize. By the 10th rendezvous and docking, you won't even really think of it as a special challenge - its just something you do while doing other things.

Played around with a mod that would randomly damage parts on my craft. While I have yet to unlock the normal KSP damage method, I did enjoy the function that would cause a part to explode. Naturally the random damage generator blew up the rocket's pod first.

Well, I've been sidetracked on doing to get Jeb from Duna for days now, so I guess it's finally time to go get-

hM7e3bI.jpg

...nope, another megaton monster interplanetary ship.

34 big tanks without mission payload, 48 nuclear engines, launched in three stages.

And now I REALLY need a fueler, because my bitty little 4.5 tank fueler ain't gonna cut it.

Worked on mini probes and probe landers using Nova Punch parts. Have test flown the orbiters. Will now test fly the lander and see how far it will travel in its present configuration.

The mini 2 stage orbiter;

TD8RZk9.jpg

The mini 2 stage lander;

YPIScwa.jpg

Lander in orbit;

V37UAog.jpg

Stayputnik can control the final stage but lacks the torque to control the first and second stage in flight. Due to its small battery, one should launch in daylight.

Edited by SRV Ron

Added another module to Pegasus. It now weighs in at 250 tonnes and 196 parts. With lag starting to set in I decided to use mechjeb to close with it. After mechjeb pulled a Hal on me and tried to assassinate my Kerbalnauts by declaring that the perfect intercept burn was a 15000m/s course correction directly towards Kerbin I ended up doing it by hand again.

hx7hj6o.jpg

OAL51Vt.jpg

Intended to send my Storax Anacostia mission to Duna last night. KSP barfed, though, and the ship vanished in the process. I'm quite annoyed at this...

Did another run on the KLOSS challenge; still need to post pics on that one. They're clearer this time, I swear.

Yesterday I started putting together another interplanetary cruiser, this time with the intent on going to Eve and Gilly, starting the set up for a base on Eve. Today I will get the cruiser refueled and put the last set of items on it, and then it's onwards and upwards!

I spent some time looking at this thread. A lot of people are building big refueling stations with lots of rockomax orange tanks. You really should check out Talsar's Shperical fuel tanks mod. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30673-0-21-x-Spherical-Fuel-Tanks-Pack-%28Updated-09-04-13%29

The large ones can hold about 6X the capacity of the jumbo 64 so you don't usually need more than 1 per station. On a large fuel station this could cut your parts count (and lag) by quite a bit. There's empty versions of each size to keep your launch weight down

Here's my station with one of them. I think I'm at about 120 parts for the entire station and about 28 for just the fuel dock.

3CE609DBA0657AABB595C8E55773931287CB6509

Launched two missions into parking orbits for the upcoming Moho window - managed to get a pretty large rover - same one I sent to Eeloo - support lander and scansat in there. One mission is a backup & perhaps I'll launch it the other side of the planet.

9679036137_7c68f8d258_c.jpg

Finished constructing the tank farm at KSC Minmus main pad, so now all I have to do is fill all the tanks, build all the ships, repeat.

9678925147_c83bb96395_c.jpg

9682159082_fc1391a32c_c.jpg

Minmus ate yet another rover when I wasn't looking, though.

Jeb takes a new class on their first orbital flight. A little excitement in the new bus/transport.

sXBwGe2.png

The landing was spot on this time. Development took a bit of time to get it just right.

LGvDc38.jpg

BJQ - Used parts from FusTek. Included a winch (KAS) inside the docking bay doors along with other parts.

image.php?ribbon=11591

Edited by BJ Quest