What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I finally landed on Mün for the first time. Mind you it was a crash landing and everything was destroyed except the command module. All 3 Kerbals survived, so I put them all on EVA and planted the flag. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get Bill, Jeb and Bob back home.

My crewed Moho lander arrived in the Moho SOI and prepared for orbital insertion, only to discover they were 1,500+ m/s short on ∆V. Ah, well. At least we got in a fly-by.

screenshot543_zps444cf606.png

Also started the expansion of my small Kerbin space station.

screenshot547_zps2996acf9.png

My crew did NOT like riding to orbit in the new Habitation Module. :)

screenshot545_zps7dbbea47.png

Today, I began developing a new re-usable shuttle. My first successful shuttle had been more of a proof of concept- it didn't have the capabilities for tasks like rendezvous, or moving to orbits other than equatorial. This new one would combine a mainsail for lift of, with Lv-Ns for orbital stuff.

I tested it at the Kerbin City Airtport, as the Space Center was closed for cleaning.

lYLY5io.jpg

YkDFlsT.png

Short hops look good. Should be fine for landing. Now, the droptanks and SRBs.

MUuD44I.jpg

I've found a design flaw.... it sucks.

Though this set up is fine for the previous one, it doesn't behave well for this version at all.

So so far, I have a short range nuclear plane.

I may have exposed citizens of the city to the poisonous light, oops.

Today, I set 5 probes on their way to Jool, one for each moon.

2XeOmzf.jpg

Basically they are all mounted on the nose of the transit vehicle. I reckon I'll go for a very high orbit to conserve delta V to insert the probes into their orbits around the various moons.

So, a trio of Kerbanauts -not to mention any names, Jeb- on a two-stop tour of the Mun and Minmus, got a tiny bit cocky and miscalculated their fuel reserves, stranding themselves in a highly elliptical Kerbin orbit. A ship was designed, built, and tested (not necessarily in that order), and sent out to fetch the poor sods. Rendezvoused (that's French for 'around-yous') at apoapsis, parked about 7 meters away from their wildly spinning pod, and the three wayward Kerbals EVAed over and climbed into the hitchhiker pod, chock full of Doritos and Mountain Dew. A short burn later, and far too many Gs endured, we successfully splashed down in the ocean. This will be coming out of your paycheck Jeb!

My second fastest aerobrake ever. Entered Jool SOI and aimed for Laythe intercept, the intercept was pretty much head on.

VVpMjFR.jpg

However the real fun part was then i noticed I was in Jool eclipse and had to hurry up maneuvering for the aerobrake as i would lose power soon while coming inn at 7.5 km/s.

I got my Apollo 2 CSM and LM in to Mun orbit. Apollo 1 ended with a comedy of errors. Tipped over on landing as I didn't have an ASAS to control the RCS jets to keep from tipping. I think popped my rover without first getting a kerbal in the seat, so it rolled 3km down the slope of a crater blowing up as it went. Then I dusted a kerbal after planting my flag at the top of the a nearby mountain. I tipped the lander on its side and broke it apart by accidently hitting the throttle (not cat walked on the keyboard. Where are my damn cats when I need to blame someone???).

I redesigned things as I wasn't super happy with the LM, not very Apollo like. So now it is a little better and the rover is better as well. I also landed a probe where I was thinking of putting down to find a flat(ish) landing spot ahead of time as part of my issue was having to put down on a slope as the area of the mun I put down, there are zero flat landing places. So I have the area pre-scouted as well as a nice marker to aim for. I am still not positive at the LM will work perfectly, but I have tested the crap out of it on Kerbin (about 20 design iterations and at least 10 tests). The landing stage has about 700+ m/sec of dV and good TWR, the ascent stage has about 900m/sec of dV, but much lower TWR. It is really the ascent stage that has me worried as I am worried that the TWR is going to be too low. I think it'll manage okay, just paranoid.

The thing is overkill for Minimus, but once I am done with the Mun, Apollo 3 is going to go to Minimus. Then, it is on to Duna with a modified version. I am think I am going to a do take on what NASA came up with during the 70's for a Mars mission with modified CSM, LM and 3rd stage Saturn converted to living space (though I'll do it straight up as living space as a hitch hiker module).

Not much, really. A friend of mine wanted to do some JATO so I loaded up the JATO-assisted Hellhound I built a few weeks ago and we proceeded to attempt to launch it off the pad repeatedly, with explosive results. It really got fun when I pulled out Whack-A-Kerbal in order to pummel the bits that were left...we then proceeded to drop the biggest possible spheres down the side of the VAB.

Gave me a notion for a challenge; will have to set that up when/if I get an opportunity...

Decided to finally try out the Kethane mod and thought I'd just dive in the deep end. Screw a simple refuelling on the Mun, I'm mounting a return trip to Laythe.

Just finished assembling the 3 part craft in Kerbin orbit (after far too much grief trying to get the damn engines up there) and will be heading off soon.

As I get back into Kerbal for this version, my first space station received it's first Kerbol visitor (and also a docking port extension so it can host junior and senior docking clamps). If I hadn't goofed the design of the last rocket (wasn't ever intending on keeping the engine, in fairness), I could have snagged a jumbo and half fuel tank with a mainsail engine. I probably wont do a lot with this station. I thought about sending it to Minimum to act as my Kethane refinery, but I think I will make a couple changes and launch another one. I'm quite happy with the general design. It's light enough to get into orbit without much fuss, and it handles nicely. A couple of tweaks and it would be set. Ther eis also a probe there right now playing as a second senior port adapter.

I think the Lander Can on the bottom is the best seat in the house. Good view of at least one docked ship, and it makes for a nice point to view the planet from, maybe rotate the station around a bit.

ddoe.png

0nsq.png

I realized I'd omitted the RTGs on a couple of Hitchhikers so I sent up 2 more with RTGs and a spare lander just in case, docked these to the original, moved all 8 Kerbals from the 1st batch to the 2nd, ditched the RTG-less cans, and got what was left ready to depart for Duna.

Then my Jool window came up so I sent 3 ships I had on tap that way. But I got interrupted badly during 2 of their burns so they ended up using WAY more delta-V than necessary. To fix this, I hastily sent up 2 fuel tankers after them so that's 5 ships to Jool. Then for good measure I sent identical tankers up for Dres and Duna.

And finally, I made 2 round trips between LDO and Ike's surface lugging Kethane and converting it to LFO and mono.

Didn't hit a lick in the VAB all day, other than add RTGs to something I already had and rename a transfer tug as a tanker. I'm so ashamed :)

Today I preformed a Munar Free Return, using exactly one burn from LKO to a 30km periapsis aerobrake-landing. The tolerances on a free return are tiny. Thanks, PreciseNode.

tKK0Tag.jpg

(I almost always have my patched conics draw mode = 1, but I set it to 3 here for a pretty picture)

After leaving at not quite the ideal time and spending a lot of time orbiting Kerbol, the Icarus II finally made it to Duna. Tomorrow will involve using the Command/Snacks module down to ferry the Lander/Rover module down to low Duna orbit. After that we'll throw the LRM at Duna and see what happens.

8ygFoyy.jpg

Today I preformed a Munar Free Return, using exactly one burn from LKO to a 30km periapsis aerobrake-landing. The tolerances on a free return are tiny. Thanks, PreciseNode.

You're welcome. :) That's pretty impressive, nonetheless!

Today I had one too many beers and realized I would be having another, so I sidelined my Grand Tour for the night and decided what my campaign save really needed was a ROCKET SHIP. Kommitz' engines are beautiful.

bqphv4H.jpg

La5REoz.jpg

I landed my mun rover on the mun, which was quite a nightmare. First, I landed on the side of the crater Jeb's "base" is in, 15 Km away from said "base", on a wicked steep slope. So I took off, and flew closer to Jeb. Touched down about 1.5 Km away, drove the rest of the way. Well, Jeb wanted to take it for a spin, having spent the past 4 days sitting in his capsule. That was a bad idea. First, I turn too hard, sending Jeb flipping end over end soaring above the Munar terrain, but somehow, with the magic of reaction wheels, he only pops a few tires. All is good. THEN, as I am driving at ~22 m/s, there is suddenly no ground below my rover. Jeb drove, at 22 m/s, into a crater, dropping 100 meters, and the only damage was the popping of 6 of my 8 tires. Either Jeb is a wicked good driver, or my rover is invincible.

I transfered Jeb, Bill, and Bob out of the OASIS Terminus Core with a modified CTV, modded beause karolus10 said something about it being able to only reach a 80km orbit (ie. 4 MOAR 30second boosters!).

Then I have trust issues with mechjeb with it overshooting the KSP for landing, for I just aborted the landing, popped open the parachutes by "hand", and turn on the micro engines (fact, the ant engines does nothing noticable in the atmosphere if the amount of engines being used is less than 100).

I was sort of correct on the landing part, cause I landed in front of the crew entrance of the VAB.

addendum: Forgot about the OASIS fuel tank that I sent up and docked (and deorbited the assembler for the aforementioned CTV)

Edited by info600

Landed on Minmus. It is capable of returning to Kerban. It tipped over but I was able to upright it with the thrusters. The future design will stage the descent rocket, use the thrusters for final approach, and place the legs on the mono propellant tank for better stability.

s05XvqG.jpg