What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

11 hours ago, SufficientAnonymity said:

So for some crazy reason, I decided to build a VTOL gunship - it's stressful to fly, even with MechJeb's translatron

Use Throttle Controlled Avionics instead.  WAY WAY better for VTOLs.

-----------------------------------------------

I made a drone plane, managed to get it to Serran (the outermost moon of Sonnah in the New Horizons mod), and then flew it around all over the place.  Serran is pretty much all dry, cracked mud, somewhat depressing.  But hey, it's good rover country for all you Elcano folks.

04-11 Serran Probe Plane Going Up

05-14 Heading North

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

I made a drone plane, managed to get it to Serran (the outermost moon of Sonnah in the New Horizons mod), and then flew it around all over the place.  Serran is pretty much all dry, cracked mud, somewhat depressing.  But hey, it's good rover country for all you Elcano folks.

04-11 Serran Probe Plane Going Up

05-14 Heading North

Are those air breathing engines I see on there? I like the overall look of the plane too.

Pol base established.
Fg3FduPl.png
From left, an ore module, needed more ore than base can hold for contract, then an LV-N tug. 
Core is based on planetary bases mod but with an half lenght 3.75 meter fuel tank on bottom. 
High rocket to right is an Tylo and Laythe SSTO, it need to mine to reach orbit again and I forgot the scanner :(
Then an small part workshop, will try to make an scan probe with it. 

Edited by magnemoe

7 hours ago, kraden said:

Are those air breathing engines I see on there? I like the overall look of the plane too.

Yup, Serran has enough oxygen to run jet engines, suggesting there's still plenty of biology going on there despite the oceans having dried up.  Serran has about 2/3 of both the gravity and the air density of Kerbin.  These factors largely cancel out to make flying there very similar to Kerbin.  A plane just as a somewhat higher stall speed, needs to be turned more gently to avoid flipping, and it can't fly quite as high or as fast on the same jet engines.

Woke up, sat down at the comp and noticed that my electricity levels were low even though I was on the illuminated side of the planet. Turned the camera around and saw an eclipse! Idk how rare this is but in the time it took me to upload it to imgur and make coffee, it was over. Also, got my Interplanetary Kerbal Explorer and Tyson Lander up to Cascadia Station in preparation for the first career mission to Duna. I am undecided as of this morning but I think i am going to send two ships, each with its own lander, and send one to Ike then bring everyone back together. 

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yup, Serran has enough oxygen to run jet engines, suggesting there's still plenty of biology going on there despite the oceans having dried up.  Serran has about 2/3 of both the gravity and the air density of Kerbin.  These factors largely cancel out to make flying there very similar to Kerbin.  A plane just as a somewhat higher stall speed, needs to be turned more gently to avoid flipping, and it can't fly quite as high or as fast on the same jet engines.

Interesting. I've been thinking of looking into a mod to adds planets to the system, will definitely look into New Horizons if/when I do. I very much like the idea of sending space planes to other bodies.

How hard is it to reach escape velocity with a plane there?

Edited by kraden

On 7/6/2016 at 6:40 PM, HoloYolo said:

Went to Jupiter in RSS today. Not a fan of RO, so I went there with stock parts. It's meant to be a Juno remake, but not sure if I did it right or not.

If you wanted to be picky, Juno ditched its booster while leaving Earth, and only has RCS-like small thrusters.

Of course, planning the multiple gravity boosts necessary for that would be a pain.

Took the Mun Grizzler out for a derp science contract, the lure of the last waypoint may have caused a slight lack of terrain awareness.

screenshot137_zps3ityaha4.png

Despite plunging into a deep crater she landed squarely on her wheels with no damage. Nicely validating the design. After carefully slowing to a halt and taking a deep breath at the bottom is was time to evaluate her climbing ability.

screenshot139_zpsbprpsmvp.png

As long as the speed was kept to level "cautious" to prevent backflips she took the slope like a champ.

A bit of welly just before the rim allowed her to exit like Steve McQueen although without all the German soldiers..

screenshot140_zps5nblcxbl.png

1 hour ago, kraden said:

Interesting. I've been thinking of looking into a mod to adds planets to the system, will definitely look into New Horizons if/when I do. I very much like the idea of sending space planes to other bodies.

New Horizons doesn't add things to the stock system, it totally scrambles the stock system and mixes its parts in with a large number of new bodies.  Kerbin, for example, is a moon of the same gas giant as Serran, and that's just the start of the differences.  IOW, you can't add New Horizons to an existing game, you have to start with it.  And it's a totally new and different experience being based on a moon instead of a planet with its own moons.  That's why I'm doing it.  The only issue I have is that there's a bug in Kopermicus (needed for all the planet packs) that makes it impossible to leave something parked in Kerbin's orbit if Kerbin orbits anything other than the sun.  So no stations at Kerbin and probes don't last long there.  But that's a small price to pay so I'm going with it.

1 hour ago, kraden said:

How hard is it to reach escape velocity with a plane there?

I haven't tried.  My feeling, however, is that it should be relatively easy compared to, Laythe.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

New Horizons doesn't add things to the stock system, it totally scrambles the stock system and mixes its parts in with a large number of new bodies.  Kerbin, for example, is a moon of the same gas giant as Serran, and that's just the start of the differences.  IOW, you can't add New Horizons to an existing game, you have to start with it.  And it's a totally new and different experience being based on a moon instead of a planet with its own moons.  That's why I'm doing it.  The only issue I have is that there's a bug in Kopermicus (needed for all the planet packs) that makes it impossible to leave something parked in Kerbin's orbit if Kerbin orbits anything other than the sun.  So no stations at Kerbin and probes don't last long there.  But that's a small price to pay so I'm going with it.

Ooo! That actually sounds even better, lol! Maybe once I'm through with this career game I'll download it. Thanks for all the info!

5 hours ago, kraden said:

Ooo! That actually sounds even better, lol! Maybe once I'm through with this career game I'll download it. Thanks for all the info!

You can add OPM to existing games if you've left Eeloo alone. IIRC there's a few atmospheric planets in that.

More river running. After these I only have one more river left and that's all of them on Kerbin.

0EF2D9F21423D1AE51AF51127332CC1EAC9F748653CD184897B2498557C80B523148BE1F84743107

AF23EF89AEE0DF26DBC0A2E65DB281FE2CED4F09

BTW. The lake below is almost 1000m deep in the middle. Might drop a submersible probe there one day.8CB411687EAED10104B80B88719CC9706C46DE9DC2190FE9831E0910F89A8749E77EC7FE0D0CF433E98FE57577106840B4216E8A299ACD891F2AE7805B9F0EDB703BB036606A64D6ADFD8629ACFA33A71F349851E2733D32BB756A0E72ECF5472D62D626

Edited by Bigbootie

Tweaked my heavy helicopter some. Added auxiliary fuel tanks and settled on a maximum take off weight around 65 tonnes.

scnmItK.png

It's a fast bugger too, 143 m/s...

ar5BpPs.png

...thanks to these forward engines and TCA to manage it all.

QlmMGfO.pngBut I'm seeing a big problem already. Most of the fuel is in that forward "hump" tank, so as it drains the CG shifts backwards. Will have to address that. But first...!

Weight lifting time! Deadlift of 30 tonnes, hhhhhng!

NtICNxp.png

And it's barely lifting. TCA doesn't seem to handle the slung load well, can't keep a steady altitude and it's swinging all around....

Why, with Val riding it almost looks like a... a...

I CAME IN LIKE A naw I just can't.

fGQ2HSQ.png

yesIcan WREEEEEEEEEEECKING BAAAAAAALL! SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING BLAH BLAH BLAH!

U2FoNrJ.png

I'M SWINGING ON A WREEEEEEEEEECKING BAAAAAAAAAAALL! BUCK NEKKID AND... CRE-E-E-PY!

h5lRidI.png

DOWNRIGHT.... SCA-A-A-RY!

gtKXmAQ.png

Yup. Val's gonna kill me in my sleep tonight. 

xgM3Tfb.png

That's ok, dang song's stuck in my head now.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure
Forgot engine pic