What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It features this handy-dandy rather limited utility crew rescue compartment, as the hatch to the command pod seems to be one-way...

Useful for recruiting new kerbonauts then.

I redesigned my Munar/Minmus landing complex to iron out some minor but annoying features of the current version, and launched two probes on their way to Eve; one on a fast track and one on an economical track.

(I also uninstalled Asteroid Day; all of my current and past contracts vanished when I installed it!  I'm going to back things up and try again and see if I messed something up in the process... may have been operator error. :blush: )

1 hour ago, AndrewUpchurch said:

I want to build a base for exploration but don't know where to go please help. 

Like a space station or a ground base? I ask because I have built a space station and now want to build a base on the Mun but don't know where to start. How do you connect the pieces if you are able to land them close? Can you use docking ports and a rover or something? (I should probably build a rover, huh?) Anyway, all advice is appreciated! 

20 minutes ago, AstroBovice said:

Like a space station or a ground base? I ask because I have built a space station and now want to build a base on the Mun but don't know where to start. How do you connect the pieces if you are able to land them close? Can you use docking ports and a rover or something? (I should probably build a rover, huh?) Anyway, all advice is appreciated! 

If you're landing a base on the mun or something and plan on expansion, definately slap some docking ports on there. Only reason I wouldn't is if it was a small science base and I intended to have my crew transfer ships land next to it and EVA the kerbals back and forth.

If you plan on making a modular base I would recommend building the whole thing in advance in either the VAB or SPH to make sure everything fits how you want it to. KAS is handy if you want to connect things together without requiring docking ports, but I peronally wouldn't use it for a whole base. There are plenty of video tutorials on all things KSP. I have yet to come across a scenario someone hasn't made a video for. :)

Being a simpleton as always.Just launched KerbSAT-1 and a small repair/maintenance orbiter shortly afterwards with Jeb in it.Forgot to add solar panels to the orbiter, now Jeb is hanging out with the probe waiting for rescue, spending his time talking to the probe.

5d48kk.png

BTW, the probe kind of looked like Juno, which urged me to spin it up, which i did in this pic.

Edited by Candlelight

I did the same thing I did yesterday, and by the looks of it for the next week.

Entrant for the Efficiency challenge ( FAR section ):

28104018836_3937d1595c_b.jpg

Telling numbers would be "Est. Endurance" on the FAR data panel, which... hasn't actually gone down since I started the flight, so I suspect it's probably another half again. Guess I'm doing this for two weeks...

Distance so far:

28138613055_a2597980cf_b.jpg

Edited by Van Disaster

41 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

I did the same thing I did yesterday, and by the looks of it for the next week.

Entrant for the Efficiency challenge ( FAR section ):

28104018836_3937d1595c_b.jpg

Telling numbers would be "Est. Endurance" on the FAR data panel, which... hasn't actually gone down since I started the flight, so I suspect it's probably another half again. Guess I'm doing this for two weeks...

Distance so far:

28138613055_a2597980cf_b.jpg

So how many laps around Kerbin is that so far?

On 7/5/2016 at 4:04 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

So I launched the GM II, based on the original GM. The CC can was still there, but I tacked on a probe to test the inflatable heat shield on Eve's surface, to help pay for this follow-up mission. Now, after following a high-energy trajectory to Eve, the GM II has just entered Eve's SOI, and I just noticed that during the modifications to attach the probe, somehow the mining drills were removed! :confused: *facepalm* I'm tempted to let those dumbS engineers, Jercal and Derzer, sample Eve's upper atmosphere. Without helmets. At 3km/s... :mad:

Update: I decided to let them live. After shamelessly abusing quickload, I found that the GM was too heavy to aerocapture into orbit. So I decoupled the test probe and burned into orbit, then landed the test probe on Eve. It took one pass to capture and another to land, at which point I discovered that I had also forgot the antenna! No science for me!

Went to Jupiter in RSS today. Not a fan of RO, so I went there with stock parts. It's meant to be a Juno remake, but not sure if I did it right or not. Still got pretty views of the gas ball and Io and Europa!

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Update: I decided to let them live. After shamelessly abusing quickload, I found that the GM was too heavy to aerocapture into orbit. So I decoupled the test probe and burned into orbit, then landed the test probe on Eve. It took one pass to capture and another to land, at which point I discovered that I had also forgot the antenna! No science for me!

Can't win for loosing! 

For fun, I built this sporty little number loosely inspired by the Dassault Rafale and the Saab Gripen.  I call it the "Raffle":

lTWaaLh.jpg

Z85Ixjf.jpg

I like the way I was able to mount a ram air intake beneath the fuselage like that.  

Edited by Fearless Son

Finished the Eve exploration mission.
80AmK9Cl.png
Nosecone blowing up is an feature to reduce weight, thought of removing the decopler but that would stop kerbal from leaving if it did not blow up.

iRyhgT3l.png
Arrived at Jool, reducing speed before Pol intercept. 

Early career communications set up

Started off with the Lunar sat 1 mission

MSGKt6t.jpg

Jeb in command to place the first comsat in lunar orbit

9Hyem0F.jpg

His sparrow pod for return is a dainty little thing

dXnE3mK.jpg

Repeat for minmus

qMZYt5F.jpg

Finally the launch of the first space station 

Dkv4pGS.jpg

Set up to eventually look like this

ocWk0kI.jpg

(after a lot of fiddling...)

16 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

(I also uninstalled Asteroid Day; all of my current and past contracts vanished when I installed it!  I'm going to back things up and try again and see if I messed something up in the process... may have been operator error. :blush: )

Must have been operator error.  I didn't have the problem the second time.  I did notice a few stray files got into a folder level above where they should have been the first time around, which was probably the cause.

Both Eve probes passed out of Kerbin's SOI and made course adjustments; launched two probes on contracts; and started moving the next Minmus mission out to the pad.

Make a first attempt of flying Buran 1.02 with the fewest mods as possible, AB Launcher for Energia, Mk3 Mini Expension for the RCS and finally Tweakscale. Actually 99% of the job has been done by minepagan as I just change some parts of his creation. Changes include another Cyclone central tank, substitution of the Whiplash couple by Panthers (only for aesthetic reasons), a new, stock, and sad-looking airlock, a medium nose-wheel instead of two smalls and finally two (misplaced) Mk-55 Thud as the 17D12 O.M.S. :

moteur%20principal.gif.

Result here : 

I've misplaced the RD-170s and their tanks, two of them collided soon after separation just around 120 000 of loss... about the rest she's suprisingly stable during ascent (passing 40 km is another story) and once on a nice trajectory the Thuds give around 1000 Δ v, making a 300 km circular orbit with rdv at 225 km possible for about 3/5 of the fuel onboard (it's comprising my terrible maneuvers abilities). Still needs serious refurbish so.

20 minutes ago, SufficientAnonymity said:

So for some crazy reason, I decided to build a VTOL gunship - it's stressful to fly, even with MechJeb's translatron.

zkG3W6R.jpg

I have safely landed it a few times though.

LTA5UrD.jpg

Try @allista's Throttle Controlled Avionics mod. It makes VTOL's considerably more, well, fun and not-stressful. 

18 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So how many laps around Kerbin is that so far?

I believe at this point it's 13 and change, if I remember Kerbin's radius properly ( 600km? ).

27540213363_d5847ddf8d_b.jpg

Number-of-times-past-KSC I couldn't tell you, because I've not worked out how far KSC has moved in that time.

Edited by Van Disaster

7 hours ago, Kertech said:

ocWk0kI.jpg

Posted this earlier, only realized the glaring mistake just now! The return pod on the right, has no thrusters, none at all, it was meant to have rcs to de orbit, but me being an idiot didn't press x!! Time for a kerbal solution...

Join them together...

M13nkoX.jpg

You'll then see a second error, the capsule with RCS has only got two thrusters, which means only two directional translation!! docking this was amassive pain, having to rotate to change the plane of translation every ten seconds!!

Reentry was a bit hairy, the docking port jr isn't the best attachment point... had plenty of fuel but de orbiting with two rcs ports took ages!!!

Snapped apart within the atmosphere, luckily they both have parachutes!!

QyeY8yj.jpg

xZgaInj.jpg

Bill and Bob home safe...

jOU6YyP.jpg 

12 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

I believe at this point it's 13 and change, if I remember Kerbin's radius properly ( 600km? ).

27540213363_d5847ddf8d_b.jpg

Number-of-times-past-KSC I couldn't tell you, because I've not worked out how far KSC has moved in that time.

Dang.... and you have to keep flying till it hits empty for the challenge?