What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made my first attempt to capture an asteroid. Been too busy this week to have time to give the new version a try until tonight. I did have the chance to watch a few vids this week so I had a really good idea what to do, so it was actually very straight forward. Its not one of the huge asteroids but it was still a challenge.

first-asteroid.png

Nothing Whackjob-ian (welcome back, by the way) or anything impressive with asteroids, but I did make an imgur album of screenshots from a Minmus launch/landing for my significant other. KSP isn't really her sort of game, so I figured I'd show her a bit of it by making it cute. The below are just the last few frames. The Kerbals find that craft on Minmus after watching Kerbol set over the plains. :P

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/41Axs/embed"></iframe>

Edited by Boomerang

Nothing Whackjob-ian (welcome back, by the way) or anything impressive with asteroids, but I did make an imgur album of screenshots from a Minmus launch/landing for my significant other. KSP isn't really her sort of game, so I figured I'd show her a bit of it by making it cute. The below are just the last few frames. The Kerbals find that craft on Minmus after watching Kerbol set over the plains. :P

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/41Axs/embed"></iframe>

That was cute, nice use of the new lightning.

Cool video! I love this design! (I tried to reverse-engineer it, but failed. :) )

I've built a mobile satellite launch system, capable of sending a satellite into 100km LKO.

sI3zkUB.png

I might make a seperate thread with download link for it.

I performed a launch abort test of the Crew Transport Vehicle launched atop the Kerbal Booster System.

screenshot1329.png

The test was a success.

screenshot1332.png

Including this one because it's screenshot 1337

screenshot1337.png

After the touchdown, Rayski Kerman exited the capsule to investigate a large piece of debris that had survived the impact. (But first, a gratuitous explosion shot.)

screenshot1342.png

Upon getting closer, the debris was revealed to be the entire CSM package, which was miraculously unharmed. Not even the antenna and solar panels were destroyed.

screenshot1352.png

"Hax." -KSC Director's Office

Well yestarday I built my first launch craft that I had to build up to the roof of the VAB as well as the most massive too. Was able to get 2 more craft in orbit for 2 more captures. With me debating on a 4th as one will Impact Kerbin.

I decided to see if what the new engines were capable of and to see if I could demonstrate if they are Overpowered or not. I threw a rocket SSTO together using only one of the new rocket engines

So without further ado I give you: OP?-test

ydWay4E.png

Having made it into orbit, I did some quick calculations to see how much delta-v I had: about 2150 m/s

So i did what anyone would have done

bHA9S6v.png

I went for Laythe

ToMa1Bs.png

gpRUt7p.png

Unfortunately i didn't hit land, and I messed up my parachutes-to-mass ratio, so only pieces survived. Then again I did throw this whole mission together in less than 30 minutes total, so that kind of thing is kinda to be expected.

My point was of course to show whether some of the new engines are a wee bit unbalanced in terms of TWR and ISP, and I'd say if this kind of thing is possible to do with a only one type of engine then balance is in need of restoration.

Edited by SofusRud

Cool video! I love this design! (I tried to reverse-engineer it, but failed. :) )

I've built a mobile satellite launch system, capable of sending a satellite into 100km LKO.

http://i.imgur.com/sI3zkUB.png

I might make a seperate thread with download link for it.

Thanks ÃÆ’ u ÃÆ’

Your truck looks totally like one of those 60's Russian vehicles. Or is it MAN by any chance? hard to tell.

Got my wicked rover to Duna

This was actually yesterday...but still.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/433777467171325990/DB91E3EBA99175EB1E67ECF48C0264859FC99DA1/

Didn't this super cool rover come with a garage? >_Θ

I repeated my Mun landing with ion engines. This time I had more batteries in the lander, allowing it to complete the landing without any help from the command module. It was still a bit hard, but not harder than any other low-TWR landing. I was also able to remove half of the fuel from the command module. This reduced payload mass enough that the upper stage was able to insert the payload into a Munar orbit, before deorbiting itself.

ion_mun_4.jpg

This pretty much confirms that ion engines are a good choice for landers in low-gravity worlds. I got roughly 50% more delta-v from the ion engines than from the 48-7S engine for the same mass and payload. And while the non-payload mass is mostly fuel with the 48-7S, the ion lander had only a small amount of fuel, improving reusability and efficiency in long-term missions.

Quickloaded without regard to the time of my last quicksave - so had to run my Laythe probe's aerocapture and landing again. 25km periapse from interplanetary got orbit without firing engines further, then I made some adjustments to try and land on land this time, burning all my fuel on that. Then a perfectly dry landing on parachutes with the unfortunate gigantor arrays all being smashed off by windshear. Unfortunately, disabled SAS on descent, a hill landing and imbalanced parachutes conspired to put the probe on its side - but with its RTGs and timewarp it still had power to take and transmit all its readings.

Afterwards, I rebought parts on the techtree - that aerocapture was pre-update, and that probe's science was what finished my tree - and threw together a rocket with the new parts. Nothing massive, just a little testing on a simple orbit/deorbit.

I flew my new Dragonfly Atmo-Copter over the mountains of Eve. Mods used: KAS for the Containers, ScanSat for the rear antenna and Firespitter for the electric rotor.

iXabbKV.png

8wQe33X.png

Edited by Frank_G