What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I had another KSP dream - in this one, 0.24 came out and I was disappointed to find out that they had buffed the Mainsail AND nerfed the LFB. I missed the "old" LFB from 0.23.5 so very dearly.

I remember having a KSP dream about 0.16. It had new planets and telescopes to look at them with. I saw NovaSilisko's Harvest, and then I woke up and realized that none of it was real.

That moment when you have spent about an hour to perfectly allign a stations component on all axis through the wobble, finally you get it right and put the thing together... lean back to take a screenshot... and then, upon hitting the F1 key, you realize that the docking ports on the sides of that piece you just delivered are mounted facing the wrong way. D'oh! :mad::confused::(:rolleyes:

JMwpcDA.jpg

That moment when you have spent about an hour to perfectly allign a stations component on all axis through the wobble, finally you get it right and put the thing together... lean back to take a screenshot... and then, upon hitting the F1 key, you realize that the docking ports on the sides of that piece you just delivered are mounted facing the wrong way. D'oh! :mad::confused::(:rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/JMwpcDA.jpg

So, wait, are those things on the sides of that massive RCS component actually upside-down Clampotron Sr. docking ports? And you didn't notice until docking in Duna orbit?

I've been looking for inspiration after completing the big Eve mission. Maybe I'll do the Jool-5 next, if I can figure out an interesting way to do it. Perhaps something like five separate landers, a fully reusable ship, and a single launch from Kerbin. (Or actually two launches, as my current space program rules state that only the standard crew shuttle is man-rated, while the bigger launch vehicles aren't.)

http://i.imgur.com/JMwpcDA.jpg

Looks like its time for some persistent.sfs editing...

Sooooo..... I built a persistant ship to move around Kerbin and its moons... And started messing around with mods. When I got finished with that and loaded my save.... I apparently screwed up the installation of some mods with eliminated some parts.... And killed the ship I had previously put into orbit... >.<

I´ve reached the South Pole, completing three quarters of my trip around Kerbin on a rover, closing the distance to my final destination: The Kerbal Space Center Flagpole. Almost there :sticktongue:

You can follow the unfolding events on youtube, this is the latest uploaded video

I had an epic mission completion just now! I'm running FAR+DRE+KSPI mods plus a host of others and I've been trying to figure out space planes. Well, I think I finally have a pretty good idea.

I have a large space plane built around some B9 parts here:

iSANchV.png

This version has the 8-seat passenger component and is meant to populate a space station construction site (EL mod) located in stationary orbit. It has 2 RAPIER engines for atmospheric and the initial hop into LKO and then switches to a pair of xenon plasma thrusters for space maneuvers. It uses a microwave receiver for the power. The orbiting construction depot is also the power station with a 3.75m fission reactor and with all the right conditions, the space-plane can receive ~850MW of power anywhere in orbit thanks to two relay satellites also in stationary orbit.

This particular plane gets up to speed just fine and into space - what I never achieved was a decent landing before. Well, the mission was a success: I got up to orbit, transferred the kerbals to the construction thingy, then used the xenon plasma engines to reduce the periapse to about 55km. I then aerobraked 3-4 orbits to get to a 48km X 130km orbit for the final de-orbit burn to a 12km periapse. The plane skipped once (by design) and then I re-entered into about 10km altitude before re-activating the RAPIERs in air-breathing mode. I was about 100km away from KSC, but got turned around for the approach from the East.

Most of the trip back was sub-sonic as the plane handles way better and I'd previously had difficulties slowing down with an earlier flight (the earlier one broke up on landing though the kerbals survived). This time, though, it was very smooth return including flaps to reduce velocity even further. The landing worked out at about 100m/s and then I activated all the spoilers and brakes to stop about dead center on the landing strip.

FINALLY! A successful mission from launch to landing. My first one.

I realized that I had calculated the dV values for my Eve mission completely wrong - instead of calculating a prograde burn (V_{escape} - V_{orbit} = (1-1/sqrt(2))*V_{escape}) I was calculating an orthogonal burn (V_{escape}/sqrt(2)). That's a factor of about 2.4!

I can only say: Facepalm!

The consequence was a redesign of the crew transfer ship. The now much lighter return vehicle allows to attach a lander for Gilly to that craft as well, and the overall amount of fuel could still be reduced.

Sadly, also with the now much lower dV requirement, a transfer stage for my Eve lander is too big to get it stable with a reasonable amount of work, so the plan for that one is still the same: Bring the beast to low Eve orbit with its own engines, and refuel it there. I'm currently redesigning the tanker. My goal is to have at least one of the big Kerbodyne tanks as payload.

Today I decided to explore a zone I spotted in my Scansat map of the Mün.

Wc6ieF1.png

It is roughly at 35°21'40"N and 76°40'30"W. The interesting part about this "bean from hell" is that it is at a negative altitude. The ship I sent there is resting at about -200m.

Problem... when below "sea level" altitude, the camera switches to a vertical view and messes everything. Because I didn't anticipate this, I lost control of the ship and crashed it, softly. I didn't break anything but it is resting on the side with no way of taking off again. I tried to evacuate my crew by EVA, to fly them out of the crater so they could wait for a rescue. But as soon as they get out and let go of the pod, I lose control of them and they... float above the ground, sliding around, not responsive.

If anyone has any suggestion as to how to save them, I'm all ears.

I started testing stuff for a Laythe mission

Javascript is disabled. View full album

<br /><br />The SHSLS Dash-8LP passenger airplane is optimized for operation at Laythe, and (as of this post) has the following changes vs. the standard KAX Kerbardier Dash-8:<table><tr><th>Manufacturer</th><th>Change</th><th>Enhanced Functionality</th>

</tr>

<tr><td>RealChute</td><td>Drag parachutes</td><td>Enhanced short-landing capability</td></tr>

<tr><td>(FASA?)</td><td>Micro landing gear on the tail</td><td>tailstrike protection</td></tr>

<tr><td>Firespitter</td><td>IntakeAir bottles</td><td>Improved resistance to floating-point flameout</td></tr>

<tr><td>(LLL-SXT?)</td><td>2-seat passenger compartments in place of two forward hull segments</td><td>Enhanced passenger capacity</td></tr>

<tr><td>LLL-SXT</td><td>0.625m air intakes in place of the engine tail caps</td><td>Additional IntakeAir while looking like real-life turboprop exhaust ducts</td></tr>

<tr><td>KAS</td><td>Cable port in front of the nose gear</td><td>Towing; refueling</td></tr>

<tr><td></td><td>Retractable ladder</td><td>Reduced airfield dependence</td></tr>

<tr><td>RLA</td><td>MMRTG</td><td>Probe-death prevention</td></tr>

</td><td>MechJeb</td><td>MechJeb2 autopilot</td><td>Exactly What It Says On The Tinâ„¢</td></tr>

</table>

It is also equipped with discardable "deorbit packs", each of which consists of 2 JATO bottles and a RealChute drogue to counter the aircraft's highly unpredictable atmospheric-entry behavior (read: uncontrollable 6DoF spin)

Sent off my first ever probes to Jool, a fleet consisting of a kethane scanner, a small scout sat, an ion lander and the Jool Link satellite.

Kinda ashamed that I've played for something like two years but never been further out than Duna, and that was just some months ago...

Redesigned my Minmus rocket, launched it, had horrendous wobble (which I think was due to the dodgy connection between my lander and command module) which caused two crashes (crew survived on both occasions cos of my escape system, glad that it finally came in handy ;)), so*had to change it again but went for a heavy lander design this time, which worked very nicely, planted my fourth flag in yet another lake. Designed and put an orbital station into orbit around Minmus and am now wondering how to create a suitable rover + spacecraft design.

Sent off my first ever probes to Jool, a fleet consisting of a kethane scanner, a small scout sat, an ion lander and the Jool Link satellite.

Kinda ashamed that I've played for something like two years but never been further out than Duna, and that was just some months ago...

Don't blame you - there's plenty you can do just in the inner system :)

I was finally able to reach another planet, first ever (Duna), so I decided to orbit Duna (100K-105K). Ok cool, lets orbit closer and whiz across the surface...

Duna doesn't have an atmosphere does it?

Guys?

Guys?

*solar array breaks off*

Mission objective changed to impact mission!

duna.jpg

Next time, somebody at KSC needs to read some info!