What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Launched my replica of NASA's SLS on a mission to the Mun to scout for a new base.

150E511D36713375C12DF6A8B16E1568CB3287C4

E06FA9215F430CDA4B4E57FF690BA0DDAFC00FE8

436064AAF2F2DC79690B89261030EEB094B7373C

B812FFB929C0ABA81B250995E5BC355E3503A989

It did require I make a second launch for the lander, but it is a really good lander by Bobcat.

I used Nova-Punch and Bobcat's American Parts packs to do this. So much fun!

Today I finished reinstalling my "vital" mods. All appears to have gone well, but I lost my Kerbal Alarm Clock alarms...must have messed something up.

Then I upgraded my Eve lander/return ship and booster to take advantage of new parts.

Sent a simple rover to Eve for Jeb and Bill to explore with while they await me to finish building my rescue ship.

Nuke engines got me all the way into eve orbit, at this point they did more harm than good so moved on to the landing stage, but didn't ditch them until they had me on course for the planet.

ScreenShot025_zps306ceb69.jpg

Starting my descent into Eve, about to fire thrusters for breaking burn.

ScreenShot031_zps04533e16.jpg

I could of sworn I had one of my rover after it separated from the heat shields/aero break module but I cant find it. Due to placement of the chutes we had an issue where for me to keep the rover upright I had to be holding down W, it landed on its rear two wheels so you could say it hit the ground running...

ScreenShot040_zps2ad07780.jpg

unfortunately my landing was a bit off target, fortunately the rover has a probe core so it can be driven to Jeb and Bill... just not right now because its a rather long drive...

ScreenShot041_zpse7169e76.jpg

Also what I found noteworthy. While my lander was capable of 36 m/s on Kerbal it tops out at 26 m/s on Eve.

Edited by annallia

I made the lamest SSTO ever.

Bah, that's not lame, it's got an elegant simplicity. Besides, it worked :). You can practically walk across the ocean east from KSC to the next continent on the floating wreckage of most of my SSTO attempts :).

Today I managed to get the Keth-o-Plane Mk II (I'm about as good at inventing cool rocket names as I am SSTOs) into orbit on the 1st go, no problems at all, MUCH to my surprise. This is a very light, very big-winged plane intended to fly in the thin air of Duna, so the rocket's center of lift was way high (despite all the tail feathers) and WAY off-center. But the new SAS held it on course without the slightest wobble, so it turned out to be just another routine launch. I only launched it as a rocket because I suck so bad at SSTOs that even a 1% chance of success was worth trying.

3Ak9POR.jpg

Today (yesterday) I completed my unplanned impromptu grand tour, returning the crew of three safely to Kerbin, only 3.5 from the space center even, nearly TEN & a half years after they launched. Best part is my wife actually took an interest and sat by for the Gilly landing, near disaster on Moho (rover got a bad case of the Random Explosions), and triumphant return. Now she's interested in trying her own Mün landing!

The Righteous Indignation III passing Kerbin shortly before its fiery retirement.

ylWIp4K.jpg

Over a decade in space, a few Brazilian kilometers, ten landings, and I still managed to drop them just off the coast of KSC.

iH9vy7v.jpg

Rover finally arrived... sort of. Deleted the old one after Eve rover 2.0 landed just 3.2km from their base.

Jeb and Bill checking out their new toy:

ScreenShot051_zps778c0a9c.jpg

Jeb seems to have found a flaw in the design....

ScreenShot052_zps34f7d428.jpg

For whatever reason when he is on it the controls are reversed so W is back S is forward A is right D is left... almost crashed it a few times getting used to it but its done.

Probe body needs to be spun 180. :)

Actually, it was already. When I first tested it on Kerbin it ran backwards so I put it back in the VAB and rotated the probe body, so it ran straight. Still did when landed on Eve, only when Jeb is in the seat does it reverse... The seat which also needs to be rotated :huh:

Updated isa satmap mod. Lost all recon sat's.

Decided to star new save and placed in orbit first space station in one launch. It has Romfarer laser system and functions as a space control center.

Here is the Overseer SS

ZiFHGjW.png

VAXEurD.png

Also launched reconsat's to Kerbin and Minmus orbit.

yb0BNeO.png

Fg1bhVL.png

hUqEPrw.png?1

Sent Jeb to the Mun, decided the lander was a death trap and just went into an orbit. Then went to and landed on minmus with the same ship, hauler and all. Didn't bother trying to use the lander. Since it was too dangerous. Screwed up the return time warp and flew past Kerbin and got another mun encounter by chance. So I said F it and tried to land on mun after all with the hauler. I landed but roughly so my hauler's engine broke. I then used the lander's boosters and RCS to fly as high as I could, EVA'd Jeb and used his jetpack to create an orbit. He now drifts while waiting for rescue. Was certainly an interesting flight.

2bpnfbk.png

Edited by jpem

Designed a "science package" in case I ever want to add one to a mission in the future. Used the prototype as a permanent ground marker at the KSC - my flag continued to sink into the quicksand immediately surrounding the KSC. Didn't have enough juice to fly on Kerbin, so I just rolled it off the pad. I'm sure the taxpayers were a bit nervous about that, what with it rolling over and over on the top of an RTG...

Finally got the Castle Zulu Mun mission for the Doing it Apollo Style Challenge off the ground. As I'd thought, I'd forgotten to re-strut the LEM to the third stage when I changed it to account for the dangling rovers. Fixed that, added my fairing panels...and definitely needed that third stage just for orbit. I was sure the whole thing was going to come crashing down when the second stage lit but she held together and eventually picked up orbital velocity. At this point the mission is in Munar orbit and I'm searching for the Armstrong Memorial. I know the coordinates, I just don't think my orbit is overflying it. Descent stage didn't work the way I thought it would; makes me wonder if the 24-77 engine got tweaked for 0.21. Eight of them should definitely be outputting more thrust than a single LV-909, and yet they hardly did anything when I lit them up.

I did nothing. I'm planing to try and practice precision landing (precision as in 1 - 5m) without mechjeb. I'm planning my minmus base (why minmus? because it's easier to lift off from, which means smaller landers and more capacity for water and food) but I'm obsessed with reality and I'm searching the wikipedia for possible lunar base concepts.

Learned how to dock, for real. Got sick and tired of pretending I knew what I was doing, while letting MechJeb actually do the work. So, with 0.21, no MechJeb installed. I launched a series of missions similar to the Gemini missions that NASA ran. It taught me, much like it did them, exactly what I needed to do to dock and perform orbital manuevers. [HERE] Then I put this to good use and have launched a brand new Space Station. All manual. No autopilot. All stock, too. I use Crew Manifest to create and manage crewmen, but it doesn't change anything about the actual rockets themselves.

HURRAY FOR MANUAL DOCKING! This means I can finally do long-term missions with actual refuelling in space. Lots of doors opened, and I'm proud to say I'm finally a real kerbalnaut.