What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After sending a large Saturn V replica to the Mun, I decided to see what the smallest rocket would be that I could get there and return to Kerbin. Jebediah was onboard, and all went well until the transfer. I used more fuel than was necessary on that stage, which would lead to problems later.

I got in orbit around the Mun, and landed. Jebediah planted his flag, and I did some science 'experiments' using the stock science appliances. At this point, I had to quit KSP to do other things.

Next time on KSP, and I found out why I shouldn't have landed on a hillside. The lander was bouncing around uncontrollably. Worse still, one of the landing legs broke off, which meant that I had no choice but to do my launch immediately. I got in a Munar orbit, and then found I had 10 units of fuel left; not quite enough to get on a return trajectory.

Now I had to launch a rescue mission to save Jebediah. Bill and Bob were selected to rescue him, and this time I decided not to take any chances with the fuel. This time, I used my Saturn V replica, sans the lander module and with a spare seat in the command module. This mission was more uneventful, and after I rendezvoused with Jeb, I had a large surplus of fuel (my rescue mission's transfer stage not being used up). This was probably the first time that the transfer stage was used for both transfers, and the rocket very quickly was returned to Kerbin.

I feel a bit sorry for Jebediah though. After being trapped in Munar orbit for a couple of hours, he might have been expecting a warm welcome from his colleagues. Instead of that, he got Bill staring at him in disbelief and Bob screaming so much that the oxygen was in danger of running out.

Edited by DoctorDavid

Nice, has done some grand tours myself. You need one reusable lander who can do Vall and Duna, use this with reduced fuel for the rest. You obviously need an Eve lander, Tylo is also best done in an disposable one, however you might want to do this and Laythe with an fist stage on the standard lander but this will increase weight.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/46340-Grand-tour-2-Jeb-s-revenge this is an 156 ton mission, I work on getting it down to 100 ton but have run into problem with Eve and Tylo landers who worked in grand tour 2.

Impressive feat! My Grand Tour, as the schedule stands now, involves seven support craft - five tankers at various planets (one just to top off in Kerbin's SOI), a standalone Eve lander and a Tylo lander pack that the Landing And Service Ship for Interplanetary Exploration (LASSIE) can dock to. I'm planning dockable drop tanks for landing on Moho, Duna and Laythe. The greatest hurdle in the design so far has been those damnable burns to and from Moho. The current schedule has me leaving Kerbin with 8000m/s (and another 1000 in emergency reserve) and pretty much all of that will be burnt up just to get from there to Moho and then Eve :0.0:

Of course I've hobbled myself a bit by using a twelve-ton habitat unit and bringing pods instead of seats for the landers. Today's breakthrough involved scrapping the two-man LASSIE for a single-man one. 60% mass save on that part alone translates into a LOT of delta-v.

fJrNPlb.png

Bill and Jeb's excellent adventure.

Trying to make a smaller variant of the Arkingthaad lite lander. I want to make something I can share with others who can't tolerate a high part count.

... failed miserably. There's still about 600 parts in all this. Though I do like the little drop rover I can carry from world to world and moon to moon.

Got this little probe to land Near Moho's south pole sink hole in one piece. Unlike its north pole counter part which is missing all 4 landing gears and engine and needs to keep SAS active all the time to avoid sliding down the hill it is on.

?id=173780922

Got this little probe to land Near Moho's south pole sink hole in one piece. Unlike its north pole counter part which is missing all 4 landing gears and engine and needs to keep SAS active all the time to avoid sliding down the hill it is on.

D7FFD2768CA6E58EE6FC1DF62440AEDDA71588D7

Edited by Aragosnat

Got bored. So I made Jeb a toy for when he gets back. I present, the Seperatron Thrillmaster Mk1.

Was trying to get to orbit. However, it soon became apparent that the parts count required to perform that sort of feat would exceed more than ten thousand. Yeah.

On a plus note, though, for the first time I pegged the G meter in the deepest end of the red. Yey!

Edited by Whackjob

I had launched an improved version of my interplanetary expoloration ship... and then screwed up during refueling and hit shift instead of alt when selecting a tank to transfer fuel. The loosely attached refueling port ripped off, in the process putting enough spin on both ship and tank that they managed to knock off half the solar panels too before I stopped the spin.

jiYBtto.jpg

Now I have to get a safe crew return vehicle up to the gorram thing to get the two-man crew back down, and then deorbit it and launch a replacement. With struts for the refueling ports and a hotkey for toggling the engines this time.

Been testing the feasibility of launching from the back of an aircraft. Originally the idea was to use winged aircraft to lift a rocket out of the thicker portions of Eve's atmosphere, I have no idea if this would be harder or easier than just building a bigger rocket but it seemed an interesting challenge. Obviously on Eve it would be a rocket powered aircraft, not jet powered, but I was merely testing the concept on Kerbin. The unusual weight distribution presents a new challenge, one that has crashed many prototypes. So far only suborbital flights (I think though this has more to do with the fact I'm useless at making planes).

z3kWOeF.jpg

After one crash-and successful abort-though Jeb did discover an ominous underwater ridge not far from the KSC. Top Kerbal scientists now believe that this is where the Kraken strikes from when it attacks ships on the launchpad.

whrmmXW.jpg

Edited by Brapness

I didn't leave the lower stage of my mapping probe (in a high duna orbit, near Ike) enough Delta-V to Deorbit. So I did this:

3F2C33510D75BAF61396203E361AF3674ADBAA50

Maximum separation was admittedly only about 1.4km, but I still half can't believe I pulled that off without even ONE explosion, or a broken solar panel.

Didn't do much. Built test rockets to prove myself right on how adapters work...managed to prove myself wrong in the process. That was pretty much it; had other things going on last night.

Began thinking about how I want to go about doing the Eeloo challenge.

After being a strictly stock only player, I recently broke my rule and got 3 mods! So todays activities based around them.

I quickly realised that getting Ferram Aerospace meant I pretty much had to get Procedural Farings as well, then I got Infernal Robotics, and this is where I have had the most fun so far... stuff what moves!!

A minor redesign of my space telescope to include moving doors, meant an oppertunity I just couldnt resist to recreate a little movie scene :)

Jeb: "What film did you say I was going to be an extra in again?"

roi8.png

Then I made a new debris deorbiting system for those bits that I forget to put probe cores or docking ports on... A Space Claw!! must remember to be more gentle, I crushed this one a little bit :)

iv8w.png

And then something I am very proud of, my satellite origami skills are progressing very nicely

7s2f.png

aaj8.png

ctgq.png

svyo.png

I built my first Kethane miner. Worked good. I did not make sure that it had enough support from RCS and torque to turn quick enough with docking. Made a larger one, with plenty of torque. Making my first supply dock orbiting Mun.