What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I updated my signature Chibi Skylon to 1.0.5. Moved the wing very slightly forward for better pitch balance and updated the Ascent Profile. Still need to write a new Descent Profile and figure out where to start it, so I end up near KSC.

yv3OR70h.jpg

Edited by Val
Bad grammar

Attempted an ion glider. I got some promising early results - by which I mean my plane *moved*.

I reckon if I can make an airframe that will fly at 20 m/s I'm in with a chance.

Have you tried having the wings angled up? that way the generate more lift. I think. I have yet to test the theory myself...

Have you tried having the wings angled up? that way the generate more lift. I think. I have yet to test the theory myself...
Well, wings angled at 5 degrees generate the same lift as they would if straight and on a craft which is pitched up at 5 degrees. That kind of angle is good, though, when your craft doesn't have enough pitch authority to pick up the nose at takeoff speeds.

Well, wings angled at 5 degrees generate the same lift as they would if straight and on a craft which is pitched up at 5 degrees. That kind of angle is good, though, when your craft doesn't have enough pitch authority to pick up the nose at takeoff speeds.

Angle of incidence also reduces fuselage drag in flight. It's win-win, and should be used on just about every plane.

This morning, I sent a probe flying past the Mun and another flying past Minmus and then the Mun (I was particularly happy that I was able to stick a powered flyby of Minmus that would let me do a polar flyby of the Mun), and learned my new improved medium booster is a bit overpowered.

This evening, I tried to debug a single-seat spaceplane I had designed, modeled on Dyna-Soar (but, I admit, with a heck of a lot more kick). In this, though, I was unsuccessful. Is it just me or is the Mk. 1 cockpit really vulnerable to overheating? It always seems to explode on reentry even when other parts with the same alleged maximum temperature don't even notice.

I started a new science game. Did some rocket launches, got bored, and unlocked the first plane parts node. (Brief note here, I'm okay with the tiny jet being unlocked first. I do NOT like, however, the tiny intake being unlocked first. It makes it tough to build planes, since I have to put the engines on the wings, and it messes up the way my planes are designed. I'd prefer if the radial intake were available too. But oh well. I'll get used to it.)

Built the Newton, a science jet. On its first flight, I realized too late I had forgotten batteries (and thermometers for that matter). The Newton, after a grasslands landing, and flying over the mountains, was going in for a highlands landing. But I had shut down my engines, and so was losing power fast. My crappy design kept wanting to go nose down, so I had to fight to keep it under control. It lost power a split second before landing, the nose pitched down and the craft tumbled. Plane, except the cockpit, was completely destroyed. Got an OK haul of science though.

Using that science, I unlocked Flight Control, allowing for better tailfins and winglets. Using these (and batteries this time), I built the Galileo, a next-gen science plane. Jeb snuck onto the plane (I don't like having the main four do many flights when I can help it), and flew it all the way to the desert on the other side of the KSC continent. Landed hard, since this plane wanted to nosedown too, and lost the tailfins. Got some good science fortunately.

Before I started any launches, I hired a bunch of Kerbals. And I got ELON KERMAN. I'm gonna use him for whatever crazy designs I want to test XD

Last night I made my first aircraft that actually flies! Its a bit goofy but I like it

V2UFBAZ.png

Today there was a thread about all the new areo stuff in 1.0.5 relative to the lack of new "space" parts... that along with making an actual flying aircraft+ got me thinking that maybe it was time to start being a bit more serious about space planes. Rather than trying for a full SSTO right away I thought I would try a two stage space plane!

A rocket plane would be carried aloft on an air breathing carrier plane and then launch at altitude and high speed. The concept is that air breather could turn around and then land back at the KSC, bust AFAIK thats not possible in KSP, but since I am doing this in sandbox I just drop it and pretend ;)

What I came up with is absurdly overpowered and needs a lot of work but actually works after a fashion!

rSU9XY1.png

I don't think the Vector is the right engine for this lol

kbpoyLo.png

It does actually fly

2MhxLER.png

The first launch attempt ended up with Jeb in a heliocentric orbit!

ben9bSJ.png