The Nukespike Engines - An Experimental Stock Part Engine Design

ShachonianX

After seeing someone post a picture of someone having fuel from a NERVA go into an aerospike engine, I wanted to make my own. I couldn't get a fuel line from the NERVA to the aerospike work, so I just had the aerospike under the NERVA. Surprisingly, I can throttle it up to about 10% or 25% throttle before it starts overheating. Not exactly sure it is stronger than a NERVA and has long lasting fuel or not, but I haven't had much luck getting it off the ground. I might try testing it is space to see how well it does up there. Only took one picture of it.

screenshot69b.png

Edited by ShachonianX

Yay! Now we can irradiate our own planet even more efficiently :D

I think to do that, you should disable the nerva altogether and just use it as decoration, focusing on running the spike. OR disable the damage but not sure how that would translate to overheating.

Edited by GROOV3ST3R

I'm afraid you are doing it wrong. You have to disable part clipping and put the aerospike on a bunch of cubic trusses and clip all that into the nuke engine. The aerospike is attached to the top of the LV-N, not the bottom.

COfTByA.jpg

Here's a tug with my engine: Odin LANTR Tug

Take it apart and see how I did it.

Edited by Giggleplex777

I'm afraid you are doing it wrong. You have to disable part clipping and put the aerospike on a bunch of cubic trusses and clip all that into the nuke engine. The aerospike is attached to the top of the LV-N, not the bottom.

COfTByA.jpg

Here's a tug with my engine: Odin LANTR Tug

Take it apart and see how I did it.

Didn't know you needed to turn part clipping off. But do you think my current Nukespike engines will work or not?

EDIT: Wait, how did you put on the fuel line?

Didn't know you needed to turn part clipping off. But do you think my current Nukespike engines will work or not?

Not very well. Currently, your nuke engine is producing zero thrust and is only heating up your aerospike.

Wait, so it has the same power as an aerospike, but the fuel consumption of a NERVA?

No, it has the combined thrust of the NERVA and the Aerospike and has a Isp of 449s.

Engine combos are cool:

I made quite a lot of those:

dZxRdYv.png

o3axHMo.jpg

V8H3RHZ.jpg

D1WQDBo.jpg

Edited by Giggleplex777

I still don't understand why the engine fairings keep appearing on the nuclear engine. Also, I can't attach the fuel transfer rods on the nuclear engine. ?????

1. Place the aerospike and trusses on before after you put the LV-N on.

2. Did you take my engine apart and examine it? You'll find that I used a small cubic truss that sticks out so the fuel line can reach it. I then connected another fuel line from the truss to the aerospike.

Edited by Giggleplex777

1. Place the aerospike and trusses on before you put the LV-N on.

2. Did you take my engine apart and examine it? You'll find that I used a small cubic truss that sticks out so the fuel line can reach it. I then connected another fuel line from the truss to the aerospike.

I'm trying to make a mainsail/nuclear engine

I'm making a tutorial right now! Wait!

EDIT:

Start with a small truss. Put a small truss on top of the Mainsail and disconnect it.

rSZkuuz.jpg

Connect the LV-N first.

UR73Ubq.jpg

Connect the Mainsail to the starting truss.

ZVRrsW3.jpg

Connect a fuel line from the starting truss to the mainsail.

iITciYo.jpg

Put the engine wherever you want. Remember to put struts!

Um7YOhj.jpg

Edited by Giggleplex777

I'm making a tutorial right now! Wait!

EDIT:

Start with a small truss. Put a small truss on top of the Mainsail and disconnect it.

rSZkuuz.jpg

Connect the LV-N first.

UR73Ubq.jpg

Connect the Mainsail to the starting truss.

ZVRrsW3.jpg

Connect a fuel line from the starting truss to the mainsail.

iITciYo.jpg

Put the engine wherever you want. Remember to put struts!

Um7YOhj.jpg

I see. I'll try that soon.

interesting. I'm not very keen on maths, how did you calculate its ISP of 449?

and what is the engine's TWR, and its maximum fuel fraction/delta-v?

You calculate Isp of multiple engines by doing this: Isp(engine 1) x thurst(engine 1) + Isp(engine 2) x thrust (engine 2)/ thrust(engine 1) + thrust(engine 2)

The engine's TWR is 5.529 and maxium fuel fraction and delta-v is theoretically infinite. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.