The Nukespike Engines - An Experimental Stock Part Engine Design

ShachonianX

You calculate Isp of multiple engines by doing this: Isp(engine 1) x thurst(engine 1) + Isp(engine 2) x thrust (engine 2)/ thrust(engine 1) + thrust(engine 2)

The engine's TWR is 5.529 and maxium fuel fraction and delta-v is theoretically infinite. :P

Infinite Delta-V? :0.0: I NEED TO GO INTERPLANETARY WITH THAT THING

EDIT: EVEN INTERSTELLAR

You actually need to weight Isp by mass flow rate instead of thrust for multiple engines.

More on topic, a LVT30/LVT45 combination makes a pretty excellent 1.25 metre engine. I made a Gemini-Titan replica using two of them.

Daze: It's identical to having the two engines next to each other, except you don't have Centre of Thrust issues.

Infinite Delta-V? :0.0: I NEED TO GO INTERPLANETARY WITH THAT THING

EDIT: EVEN INTERSTELLAR

What I meant was that you can put as many fuel tanks as you want.

You actually need to weight Isp by mass flow rate instead of thrust for multiple engines.

More on topic, a LVT30/LVT45 combination makes a pretty excellent 1.25 metre engine. I made a Gemini-Titan replica using two of them.

Daze: It's identical to having the two engines next to each other, except you don't have Centre of Thrust issues.

Whoops, it was either flow rate or thrust; I couldn't remember. :blush: I just used KER.

I've used T30 and T45 combos too.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Oh. :P Well, the amount fuel it will have and the power it has will probably be good for interplanetary spaceships.

The whole point of a LANTR is to increase the thrust of your rocket when you need it, and then switch of the LOX flow to increase Delta-v.

Basically, it can increase your TWR if you don't feel like waiting so long during a burn but at the cost of lower efficiency. You can turn the more powerful engine of to save fuel.

The whole point of a LANTR is to increase the thrust of your rocket when you need it, and then switch of the LOX flow to increase Delta-v.

Basically, it can increase your TWR if you don't feel like waiting so long during a burn but at the cost of lower efficiency. You can turn the more powerful engine of to save fuel.

So the LVN and the Aerospike is not used at the same time right?

delta-v is theoretically infinite. :P

Because the ratio of fuel to dry mass is 9/1 for a liquid fuel/oxidizer tank, a starting to ending mass ratio of 9/1 (with infinite fuel tanks) is the best you'll get. This makes the highest reachable dV equal to 9.81 * 449 * ln(9), or about 9678.0931 m/s.

Edit: That's if you're using the aerospike and the LV-N at the same time; the aerospike on its own gives up to 8406.3615 m/s and using the LV-N alone gives up to 17243.8185 m/s.

Edited by TheDarkStar

Because the ratio of fuel to dry mass is 9/1 for a liquid fuel/oxidizer tank, a starting to ending mass ratio of 9/1 (with infinite fuel tanks) is the best you'll get. This makes the highest reachable dV equal to 9.81 * 449 * ln(9), or about 9678.0931 m/s.

Edit: That's if you're using the aerospike and the LV-N at the same time; the aerospike on its own gives up to 8406.3615 m/s and using the LV-N alone gives up to 17243.8185 m/s.

On infinite fuel you get infinite delta-v. :P

You calculate Isp of multiple engines by doing this: Isp(engine 1) x thurst(engine 1) + Isp(engine 2) x thrust (engine 2)/ thrust(engine 1) + thrust(engine 2)

The engine's TWR is 5.529 and maxium fuel fraction and delta-v is theoretically infinite. :P

edit: answered by TheDarkStar :)

uhmmm what? isn't there a theoretical limit on how much delta-v a single engine can produce, based on its ISP?

like this:

O1dN4.png

Edited by Francesco

The difference between an aerospike engine and a regular one is just the nozzle. Imagine if you could put an aerospike nozzle on an LVN and get perfect efficiency all the way to the ground. I think that would probably make Laythe return very easy. Maybe even Eve, although TWR is an issue there. You could certainly make some very efficient SSTOs for small vehicles on Kerbin.

That looks cool, zekes, but just burning a nuke and an aerospike at the same time is not what I'm talking about. It would have to be a new part in the game, but in real life you can just put an aerospike nozzle on an NTR. You should be able to get an aerospike nuke with 800s of efficiency (or at least much better than the other liquid rockets) all the way down to sea level. The issue becomes TWR, but I think that it would help significantly if you had a 600 or 700s Isp engine that worked in Eve's lower atmosphere. It would be like a nerfed version of using turbojets to get to orbit on Kerbin.

That looks cool, zekes, but just burning a nuke and an aerospike at the same time is not what I'm talking about. It would have to be a new part in the game, but in real life you can just put an aerospike nozzle on an NTR. You should be able to get an aerospike nuke with 800s of efficiency (or at least much better than the other liquid rockets) all the way down to sea level. The issue becomes TWR, but I think that it would help significantly if you had a 600 or 700s Isp engine that worked in Eve's lower atmosphere. It would be like a nerfed version of using turbojets to get to orbit on Kerbin.

Do you mean a plug nozzle NTR?

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns.php#id--Basic_Solid_Core_NTR--Plug_Nozzle

You can copy the LV-N's part folder and dupicate it. Then, edit the LV-N's thrust to 30, mass to 1, and its Isp SL to whatever you want. Do the same for the aerospike. Build the engine ingame and now you have a LV-N with a plug nozzle.

So you've rigged all that up and edited the part files too? Why is there a fuel line running to the aerospike if it's just a nozzle?

Because it upps the power to the NERVA.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.