1 + 1 = 2 without adding?

No. 1 + 1 = 2 Can never be changed, because it is already itself :) 1 - ( -1 ) = 2 does get 2, but it is not 1 + 1 = 2

1 + 1 = 2 without adding is 1 1 = 2, which isn't valid because there is no operation before the equal sign.

1<<1=2

lol.

i like programming in cpu arcitectures that do not have hardware multiply. and this right shift by 1 is equivalent to multiplication by 2. essential operations when dealing with bit fields, also useful for implementing binary fixed point numbers. you shift the integer part and then or in the fractional. that said you could also do this:

1*2=2

Edited by Nuke

If I remember right, the Principia Mathematica spent 900 pages working up to the proof that 1 + 1 = 2, and still got criticized for being incomplete. Admittedtly, the critics were using a different standard of complete.

haha, when you put it that way, it sounds like we have no chance of proving 1 + 1 = 2

Adding is completely different to multiplication and division. We use adding to aid us in the multiplication and division, but computers use a different method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_multiplier

multiplications are done with adds and shifts so i would assume that would be disqualified. but the right binary bit shift, while is equivalent to a multiplication by two is neither multiplication nor addition.

Edited by Nuke

Well, proving that 1+1=2 is not that hard. At least in modern maths....however you first have to come up with natural numbers (wich you can derive from axiomatic set-theory) and what "+" means - I have a book here somewhere that does all this in about 30 pages. Well, it defines not only natural, but up to real numbers.

Once, this is done - the prove of 1+1=2 is probably 2 lines long....

You can't really prove 1 + 1 = 2 in the framework of standard algebra, because in the frame work of standard algebra 1 + 1 is the definition of 2. More specifically, a sum of any two integers must be an integer. (You may replace integer with any other ring, including rationals, reals, etc.) So there exists an integer that is equal to 1 + 1. We assign label "2" to that integer.

You could build algebra differently, starting with a different set of definitions, but then you really have to specify what your axioms are before you can ask for anything to be proven.

Standard way to define natural numbers, however, is via addition of a unit.

2 ≡ 1 + 1

3 ≡ 2 + 1

4 ≡ 3 + 1...

So long as we agree that no element repeats (for example, I could have set 0 = 4 + 1, in which case we have numbers 0-4 with a Z5 algebra) you get the set of natural numbers. Once you throw in the negative elements, you have your ring of integers. Therefore anything + 1 is just matter of definition. But then if you want to prove 2 + 2 = 4 in that framework, you actually have to construct a proof, albeit, a simple one.

P.S. Yes, there is a set-theory method for constructing a set of natural numbers, in which case 1 + 1 = 2 is a derived result. But that's not a terribly natural way of approaching counting, unless you happen to be a set theorist.

Edited by K^2

If you're using binary math with a 2-bit adder with no overflow and just complement (invert each bit) the Accumulator, which holds the one in the binary form 01, it would result in 10, which is binary for 2.

I'll go ahead and take the dumbest approach.

The + sign indicates the method of its logic. This method is addition. Thus, 1+1=2 can only be solved with addition. The only way to change this is to take it completely into another context.

Addition is an elementary function. Proving that addition works is like proving that a plane is flat or a circle is round. Things like that just don't break down, and you can't prove something without breaking it down.

It makes me wonder if the concept known as addition is unique to the performance of the job it does. In other words, is there any other operation which gets the same result as addition that isn't? If not then addition spans its own operation space and is complete leaving no room for an alternative.

It makes me wonder if the concept known as addition is unique to the performance of the job it does. In other words, is there any other operation which gets the same result as addition that isn't? If not then addition spans its own operation space and is complete leaving no room for an alternative.

Well if it behaves in the same way as addition then it is addition, just by another name. I could define a new symbol called the flarg and then define it the same way as addition. And at that point, it IS addition.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.