[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

Hi guys! I have an issue as well. For some reason, when i install procedural wing, my game wont load. It starts up and starts loading all the things it normaly does, but when it comes to the procedural wing parts, it stops. It doesnt freeze, it just seems to be loading a single part forever. Module manager doesnt give me any errors, and when i delete the mod, the game works fine again. I do not have FAR or NEAR installed, but i do have some other mods.

I seem to be having troubles with PWings and NEAR for some reason, when I place a PWing on my craft (VAB or SPH) they immediatelly dissapear, yet I'm unable to put them again, it's as if the part was there, just invisible, when I try to select the part I can't click on it, when I try to delete the parent part I grab it but it becomes stuck on my cursor and I'm unable to delete it, at this point all interface on ksp becomes unusable and I'm forced to kill the task to get out of KSP

[EXC 12:05:24.745]
[LOG 12:05:01.076] deleting part KWFin(Clone)
[LOG 12:05:08.765] ProceduralwingSPP(Clone): Calc Aero values
[LOG 12:05:08.769] Gather Children
[LOG 12:05:08.773] FAR
[LOG 12:05:08.776] FAR Done
[EXC 12:05:08.778] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
WingManipulator.SetupCollider ()
WingManipulator.Setup (Boolean doInteraction)
WingManipulator.OnStart (StartState state)
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+
.MoveNext ()
[LOG 12:05:09.210] ProceduralwingSPP(Clone)(Clone): Calc Aero values
[LOG 12:05:09.214] Gather Children
[LOG 12:05:09.217] FAR
[LOG 12:05:09.220] FAR Done
[EXC 12:05:09.224] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+
.MoveNext ()
[LOG 12:05:09.393] ProceduralwingSPP(Clone)(Clone): Calc Aero values
[LOG 12:05:09.398] Gather Children
[LOG 12:05:09.399] FAR
[LOG 12:05:09.401] FAR Done
[EXC 12:05:09.402] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+
.MoveNext ()
[LOG 12:05:09.922] ProceduralwingSPP(Clone) added to ship - part count: 6
[LOG 12:05:09.924] ProceduralwingSPP(Clone): Calc Aero values
[LOG 12:05:09.926] Gather Children
[LOG 12:05:09.927] FAR
[EXC 12:05:09.929] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
WingManipulator.CalculateAerodynamicValues (Boolean doInteraction)
WingManipulator.UpdateOnEditorAttach ()
Part.onAttach (.Part parent, Boolean first)
EditorLogic.attachPart (.Part part, . attach)
EditorLogic.UpdatePartMode ()
EditorLogic.Update ()
[LOG 12:05:11.113] ProceduralwingSPP(Clone)(Clone): Calc Aero values
[LOG 12:05:11.117] Gather Children
[LOG 12:05:11.120] FAR
[LOG 12:05:11.122] FAR Done
[EXC 12:05:11.124] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+
.MoveNext ()
[LOG 12:05:12.085] deleting part ProceduralwingSPP(Clone)
[EXC 12:05:14.975] NullReferenceException
UnityEngine.Transform.FindChild (System.String name)
Part.FindModelComponents[Renderer] ()
Part.highlight (Color highlightColor)
Part.highlightRecursive (Color highlightColor)
Part.SetHighlight (Boolean active)
Part.OnMouseEnter ()
UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32, Int32)
[EXC 12:05:15.307] NullReferenceException
UnityEngine.Transform.FindChild (System.String name)
Part.FindModelComponents[Renderer] ()
Part.highlight (Color highlightColor)
Part.SetHighlight (Boolean active)
Part.OnMouseExit ()
UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32, Int32)
[LOG 12:05:16.189] deleting part Libra.Engine.A(Clone)
[LOG 12:05:16.191] deleting part KW1mtankL1(Clone)
[LOG 12:05:16.192] deleting part batteryBank(Clone)
[EXC 12:05:16.194] NullReferenceException
EditorLogic.deletePart (.Part part)
EditorLogic.DestroySelectedPart ()
EditorPartList.DestroyEditorPart ()
EditorPartList.TapIcon (.AvailablePart part)
EditorPartIcon.OnTap ()
EditorPartIcon.MouseInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)
UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr)
AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr)
UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex)
UIManager.DispatchInput ()
UIManager.Update ()
[EXC 12:05:16.220] NullReferenceException
UnityEngine.Transform.TransformDirection (Vector3 direction)
NEAR.FARBasicDragModel.AttachNodeCdAdjust ()
NEAR.FARPartModule.ForceOnVesselPartsChange ()
NEAR.FARGlobalControlEditorObject.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 12:05:16.242] NullReferenceException
[EXC 12:05:16.279] NullReferenceException

[EXC 12:05:24.745] NullReferenceException
[LOG 12:05:25.024] [SmokeScreen ModelMultiParticlePersistFX] OnDestroy
[LOG 12:05:25.026] [SmokeScreen ModelMultiParticlePersistFX] OnDestroy
[LOG 12:05:25.154] [SmokeScreen ModelMultiParticlePersistFX] OnDestroy

[LOG 12:05:25.182] [IR GUI] destroy
[LOG 12:05:25.287] [SmokeScreen ModelMultiParticlePersistFX] OnDestroy

Edited by mbartelsm
accidentally typed FAR instead of NEAR

P wings won't even snap to my plane body (fusion powered jet; interstellar mod. Naturally fission and fusion reactors along with generators can get a little bit heavy so big delta wings that didn't shear off were what I was going for) so I tried one of the stock delta wings and tried to attach it to part of my fuselage (2.5m inline radiator) and once attached (after plenty of difficulty) it just seemed to jump around the fuselage until the game crashed.

I'd love to be able to adjust my wings rather than spending hours with an aircraft jigsaw puzzle but until I find out (probably get told on here) workaround (or a fix) I'll have to uninstall the mod sadly.

P wings won't even snap to my plane body (fusion powered jet; interstellar mod. Naturally fission and fusion reactors along with generators can get a little bit heavy so big delta wings that didn't shear off were what I was going for) so I tried one of the stock delta wings and tried to attach it to part of my fuselage (2.5m inline radiator) and once attached (after plenty of difficulty) it just seemed to jump around the fuselage until the game crashed.

I'd love to be able to adjust my wings rather than spending hours with an aircraft jigsaw puzzle but until I find out (probably get told on here) workaround (or a fix) I'll have to uninstall the mod sadly.

I am having a similar issue using the Mk2 LF+O fuselage from C7. I attempt to attach the wing and get nothing yet it is shown as green. Same thing happens with B9 wings as well. I hope there is a fix or something for this because I love my absurd procedural wings!

Guess I shoulda read back further, I have near as well and that's probably what's doing it?

Edited by Pyroyoshi

Hey DYJ, is there any we could get example files for the control surfaces and maybe unity scenes for control surfaces and regular wings? I'm trying to add a few more procedural wings but I'm having a lot of trouble getting everything (especially bones) oriented correctly.

I have this same issue with wings not being attached to the body, it was happening when I uninstalled all mods except latest versions of NEAR and Procedural Dynamics. I am also trying to reproduce it on a clean install of KSP (32bit), however the game gets stuck on loading ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_SH_4m/part/B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH{text_gets_cut_off_here}

Last lines of output_log.txt:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at WingManipulator.CalculateAerodynamicValues (Boolean doInteraction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WingManipulator.Setup (Boolean doInteraction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WingManipulator.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

createHull: convex hull computation failed!

(Filename: ..\..\Cooking\src\ConvexMeshBuilder.cpp Line: 53)

B9.Aero.Wing.ControlSurface.SH.4mProcedural: Calc Aero values

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Gather Children

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

FAR

at WingManipulator.CalculateAerodynamicValues (Boolean doInteraction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WingManipulator.Setup (Boolean doInteraction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WingManipulator.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+

.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by TheRussianSpy

I think this is what you are looking for, for the loading issue.

I have also tried clean install of KSP with only NEAR and PW 32-bit always the same issue, the wings wont attach, any attempt to let go of the wings results in the game crashing, I hope we get a fix for this soon, I can't play without either NEAR or PW.

If aerodynamic failures are too much and that is main reason why you use NEAR instead of FAR, you can turn that off in FAR menu when you are in space center scene. FAR graphs can provide a lot of good info if you know how to read them, it is even easier to build planes with FAR then in NEAR or stock aerodynamic model.

Once you figure out how to read graphs properly, you can build planes that have stock a like flight feel, but have benefit from more aerodynamic lifting. If you don't beleve me, check this review for one of my crafts.

If aerodynamic failures are too much and that is main reason why you use NEAR instead of FAR, you can turn that off in FAR menu when you are in space center scene. FAR graphs can provide a lot of good info if you know how to read them, it is even easier to build planes with FAR then in NEAR or stock aerodynamic model.

Once you figure out how to read graphs properly, you can build planes that have stock a like flight feel, but have benefit from more aerodynamic lifting. If you don't beleve me, check this review for one of my crafts.

I did not consider that, my main problem with FAR, and NEAR actually is that it seems utterly impossible to get free from a stall.

Whenever i stall or return from space with a spaceplane it seems like all it wants to do is to spin around, It becomes completely unresponsive, I try to push my nose down and head in the prograde direction but like i said, my input doesn't seem to affect the ship at all and whenever it does point prograde and the wings seems to get some "grip" and it starts to look stable it just takes a second or two and it starts spinning uncontrollably again. I am by FAR(no pun intended) no expert on aerodynamics and such but it just seems unrealistic to me.

I have tried this with several different designs, stock, ships from B9 and ships that i have made myself, always the same issue.

I did not consider that, my main problem with FAR, and NEAR actually is that it seems utterly impossible to get free from a stall.

Whenever i stall or return from space with a spaceplane it seems like all it wants to do is to spin around, It becomes completely unresponsive, I try to push my nose down and head in the prograde direction but like i said, my input doesn't seem to affect the ship at all and whenever it does point prograde and the wings seems to get some "grip" and it starts to look stable it just takes a second or two and it starts spinning uncontrollably again. I am by FAR(no pun intended) no expert on aerodynamics and such but it just seems unrealistic to me.

I have tried this with several different designs, stock, ships from B9 and ships that i have made myself, always the same issue.

Try shifting mass forward during a stall. Often, the only way to do that is to shift fuel forward, but sometimes you can ditch parts from the back. Then try rolling into the spin – once your spinning along the length, you have much better control over the plane.

It's not easy, and it's not always possible to recover. That's what EVA chutes and the new explosion effects are for. :D

EVA chutes, are only from mods right, or are they in vanilla now?

I am not entirely sure what you mean by rolling into the spin?

Also how would you shift your fuel when spinning?

I always find it very difficult to right click on parts when everything is going to hell.

Is there a good way to build a plane so that it will never, or more likely: rarely spin out?

I'm not talking about a normal plane,

I assume it should always be possible for a normal plane to spin out,

but rather a special kind of design that would completely prevent such behaviour.

Oh! And I almost forgot.

There was one very strange thing that happened before, and I do think it is related to the spin issue.

I am now using FAR and I think that I correctly disabled all of the "Aerodynamic failure" options as instructed.

I started to spin out and after a while of trying to regain control I noticed that the Prograde/Retrograde icons from the Navball had dissapeared.

As I was spinning all over the place I got to see the entire Navball and the icons where just not there.

Also I'm starting to think that there might be more to it, Because like I said previously when it looks like the plane is about to regain control (It can be really stable for a few seconds, heading "Prograde" even if I did not see the icon) It always ends up spinning again as if after the first time it started spinning some game mechanic was broken.

But perhaps this is a subject that require a thread of its own.

Edited by Ziecore

EVA chutes, are only from mods right, or are they in vanilla now?.

Still only mods. KAS I think...

Also how would you shift your fuel when spinning?

You could use a mode like Improved Chase Camera which allows the camera to move with the vessel. Best to avoid flat spins if at all possible though.

Is there a good way to build a plane so that it will never, or more likely: rarely spin out?

I'm not talking about a normal plane,

I assume it should always be possible for a normal plane to spin out,

but rather a special kind of design that would completely prevent such behaviour.

Any plane will loose control if you push it enough, but you can make it difficult to loose control if it's very stable. Of course, stability is the enemy of maneuverability, so use at your own risk :P

I started to spin out and after a while of trying to regain control I noticed that the Prograde/Retrograde icons from the Navball had dissapeared.

As I was spinning all over the place I got to see the entire Navball and the icons where just not there.

If you're having trouble finding the prograde marker, you might want to try Kerbal Flight Indicators or NavHUD, both of which basically paint the navball onto the sky. If they're actually disappearing then I have no idea what the problem is, but I'd at least try one of those.

Also I'm starting to think that there might be more to it, Because like I said previously when it looks like the plane is about to regain control (It can be really stable for a few seconds, heading "Prograde" even if I did not see the icon) It always ends up spinning again as if after the first time it started spinning some game mechanic was broken.

Are your stability derivatives all or mostly green in the FAR analysis screen? If not small changes in attitude can cause your craft to spin out of control. The most common causes are (1) center of lift too far forward or too far down, causing pitch instability - it should be behind and slightly above the center of mass (2) Not enough vertical stabilization, leading to yaw instability. Fix by using bigger or more vertical fins at the very rear of the aircraft.

Any plane will loose control if you push it enough, but you can make it difficult to loose control if it's very stable. Of course, stability is the enemy of maneuverability, so use at your own risk :P

I had a few ideas in my head just now, gonna leave them here so i wont forget!

Could you not make a sort of hybrid with robotic part, Lets say have a normal aircraft with normal wings, but on top of those wings have another set of wings controlled by an adjustable rail.

E.g when you spin out you could extend those wings to get more stability and perhaps regain control?

Or would this interfere with how the game works?

Either way, I will experiment with this tomorrow.

Also would air brakes help with regaining control of the aircraft? I.e stopping the rotation.

If you're having trouble finding the prograde marker, you might want to try Kerbal Flight Indicators or NavHUD, both of which basically paint the navball onto the sky. If they're actually disappearing then I have no idea what the problem is, but I'd at least try one of those.

I will try one of those, but I tested it once more earlier and I got the same issue.

The markers just seem to disappear.

Are your stability derivatives all or mostly green in the FAR analysis screen? If not small changes in attitude can cause your craft to spin out of control. The most common causes are (1) center of lift too far forward or too far down, causing pitch instability - it should be behind and slightly above the center of mass (2) Not enough vertical stabilization, leading to yaw instability. Fix by using bigger or more vertical fins at the very rear of the aircraft.

I haven't looked at the FAR analysis screen at all, I will check tomorrow.

I always do check center of lift/drag/thrust before launching my planes, Though I always thought that it only needed to be just behind, not slightly above as well.

Thank you for the reply, I will have some things to experiment with and I will report back.

I had a few ideas in my head just now, gonna leave them here so i wont forget!

Could you not make a sort of hybrid with robotic part, Lets say have a normal aircraft with normal wings, but on top of those wings have another set of wings controlled by an adjustable rail.

E.g when you spin out you could extend those wings to get more stability and perhaps regain control?

Or would this interfere with how the game works?

Either way, I will experiment with this tomorrow.

Also would air brakes help with regaining control of the aircraft? I.e stopping the rotation.

An unstable aircraft can be stabilized with an advanced PID controller which detects changes in attitude and adjusts control surfaces and/or throttles individual engines to compensate. That's how real aircraft like modern fighters and the B-2 bomber for instance, which are inherently unstable, fly. In KSP, you can sort of get the same effect with SAS and reaction wheels (though SAS tends to cause oscillations in atmospheric flight). There are also mods which allow you to adjust SAS's PID and throttle engines for control authority. Again, there are plenty of things you can do to increase stability, but nothing will guarantee that you will never loose control. For instance, slow down enough and there's simply nothing that can be done until you regain speed - stabilizing surfaces rely on air passing over them and once the air stops or they deflect too far from the direction of airflow (large AoA or sideslip), then their stabilizing properties vanish. You can, however, avoid large AoA/sidslip issues by limiting your control authority.

As for airbrakes, I don't think they will help much - they will do more to kill your speed rather than rotation, and speed is precisely what you need to regain control.

The lift values of the pWings seems to be miscalculated. They seem to be producing too little lift for their size. I dont have FAR or NEAR installed.

Wouldn't expect it to cause as big a difference as that, but your pwings are thinner than the stock deltas - that will account for some difference in mass and lift.

The thickness doesnt actually change the center of lift. I also found that the CoL when placing it is different from when it's actually attached. http://i.imgur.com/mlVpfLr.png

http://i.imgur.com/Xy5h1Qj.jpg

Yes, I have noticed it yesterday, made a few screenshots for it, I will upload those if there is need for it.

That is SPH/VAB editior bug only, in flight CoL is where you expext to be. This bug is more noticable with swept wing.

Fortunately, there is easy workaround for it, although little tedious to do that each time.

Ways to reproduce bug and workaround:

1.) Attach Pwing on craft, rashape it to desired shape and size.

2.) Take a look at CoL position, try to remember it or make a screenshot, save ship

3.) Reload recently saved ship.

4.) Take a look for CoL position, should show expected and properly in flight calculated CoL point

5.) Make a screenshot or try to remember diference between previous and new CoL

6.) Reatach wing on craft to shift CoL if you need it, but keep in mind how big is difference between real and showed CoL in editor

When you load ship that shows proper CoL point, as soon as you touch "G" key when you hover mouse over wing, CoL is wrong displayed in editor. Not only that is badly shown in editor, but FAR graph also shows different calculations for displayed CoL.

Hope that this helps users who loves this mod and developer to make proper fix for it if possible.

Hi, I'm having troubles getting this mod to work with my clean install of KSP.

The problem is that the game is stalling during loading. It specifically stalls at the point where it's trying to load this part; ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_SH_4m/B9_Aero_Wing/ControlSurface_SH

I have looked in the corresponding folder and have noticed that the part it is trying to load does not exist. Does this mod require any dependencies (specifically from the B9 pack perhaps?)?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind. I found the relevant fix and applied it. For those arriving here from a Google search or otherwise, the fix comes in the form of a .dll and can be found here.

Edited by TinyMarsh

Does this mod work with stock aero?

I removed FAR and KSP stopped loading, here:

nQl8mGz.png

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwingSPP/part/ProceduralwingSPP'

ProceduralwingSPP: Calc Aero values

Gather Children

FAR

FAR Done

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_1/part/pCtrlSrf1'

pCtrlSrf1: Calc Aero values

Gather Children

FAR

FAR Done

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_SH_4m/part/B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH_4mProcedural'

Invalid boolean value

Gather Children

FAR

at WingManipulator.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

createHull: convex hull computation failed!

(Filename: ..\..\Cooking\src\ConvexMeshBuilder.cpp Line: 53)

Gather Children

FAR

at WingManipulator.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+
.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0